Landracing Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Landracing Forum

Good, because I still don't know how to calculate the horsepower required to get my '63 up to 200MPH.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
      Good, because I still don't know how to calculate the horsepower required to get my '63 up to 200MPH.
      A lot ;)

Comment

Terry's stating the obvious again. I LIKE IT! ;D

Try this site - www.mayfco.com - A little rocket science applied to bonneville. In other words more math than I want to remember from school. It might give you an idea of what it might take, he has a few graphs that make it easy for the math challenged like myself.

Comment

That's Dr. Mayfield, and he IS a rocket scientist. Keith knows him, and says he's a great guy (Keith knows EVERYBODY). I haven't heard if he beat Sir Donald Campbell's record in a Sunbeam yet. He was shooting for it - saw a bit on him on TV.

Dan

Comment

Dr. Mayf is a really Cool guy when it come to the Math thingy. He will figure all the tough Math Questions and give you true data from experience. Sometimes he gets a little to far into the Math, But it usually comes out pretty Damn Close. I really like His disertation on Parachute Pull loading, it answered alot of questions I had on what size Chutes I needed for my Streamliner project. You would also like the Volumetric effiencny Study on Airscoop Designs. He explained to me on the Landspeed Forum the Scoop for my Car. I hope his Sunbeam does well. I saw that Car out at Bonneville and he has alot of Science into it, he just needs to get it all working at the same time.

Comment

LSR FORUM WILL BE BACK SOON! posted on their site today was that message... but with some changes.

moderators prbably know more than I. i'm just a sideliner.

Comment

haven't heard if he beat Sir Donald Campbell's record in a Sunbeam yet. He was shooting for it - saw a bit on him on TV.

Dan
                [/quote]

Naw, but he's sneaking up on it.... Running in the 180's now. last I heard, he was going to bigger turbos.
                Ed

Comment

For us to be factual LSR participant's it's not Donald Campbell's record or even Malcom Campbell Donald's father. The record that Dr. Mayfield has set for his PERSONAL GOAL was set by Sir Henry Seagrave the 1st person to exceed 200 MPH @ 203.79 on March 29, 1927 in the Sunbeam 1000 HP Car. He hopes to exceed this speed in his own Sunbeam Tiger. Glad to hear that he decided to change out those turbo's ;)
                  There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

And For those who really don't know... Sir Henry Seagraves set that record on Ormond Beach in a place normally called Daytona...

Hmmm No wonder I was tickled to go stick my boot in the water there eh?

Keith

Comment

Duh! I KNEW that! Sorry if I mislead anyone - the thing that helps you recall stuff - what do you cal that - anyway, it isn't working as well as it used to. The concept is in tact, though - a Sunbeam taking an old Sunbeam record. Hope the Doc get it done.

Dan

Comment

If my memory serves correct, Seagraves car was a monstrosity (not in the technical sense, but in the humongous sense).

I think a Sunbeam Tiger would probably fit in the tail section of the machine Seagraves used.

Neat project....awesome history.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Good news!!

An email from Jon today indicated that the message board will be back up soon. He is placing volunteer moderators in place with each taking on a section they feel comfortable with. This will be a welcome return, did know I would miss a stupid internet site so much.

DW

Comment

Here is the Sunbeam. I have an autograph of Seagrave and Campbell that I picked up from an auction in Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by VWMMP

Here is the Sunbeam. I have an autograph of Seagrave and Campbell that I picked up from an auction in Australia.
                              Wow, that is not what I pictured in my imagination when you said a "Sunbeam" !!
                              :o

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk

Hmmm No wonder I was tickled to go stick my boot in the water there eh?
                                I thought you got both feet wet & sandy ??
                                ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X