Home made jet engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made jet engine

Damn this is cool. They built a jet engine with an old turbo.

When it gets too cold to race we have to do other stuff to entertain ourselves!!!

Re: Home made jet engine

wow, that is cool. :o
    Originally posted by TC
    also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

i like it!!! 8)

Comment

Call the Scooter Store to give your Granny the "boost" in mobility she needs!! LOL!

Home made jet engine bolted to a mobility car. 47 mph on the transit speedo ! The car is the sort of thing your gran would take to the supermarket

Comment

Cool Stuff!!!

Comment

I like it! I don't know much about jets - any idea why it doesn't sustain ignition? And what are they using to spool it up? Sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but I couldn't tell from the video. I think it's way cool that these guys pooled their resources and made something. Maybe the youth of today (hey, they're youth to me) AREN'T going to hell in a handbasket.

Later
            Dan

Comment

I don't know much about them either, but you'd think the heat of the exhaust would burn any thing that was sprayed into it.
              Cognizant Dissident

Comment

those guys are nuts!! 8) every one standing right there near it. i guess they knew it wouldn't explode when they tried it out ;D

Comment

That was awesome. I was a little worried when it got really red hot. I would not have gotten that close.
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I've come back to this thread Cause it is eally Cool. I like doing stuff like this all the time. I think I'll watch some more Vids. There are a few more Vids there to scroll thru. Alot of good ideas .

Comment

Way cool.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                        I like it! I don't know much about jets - any idea why it doesn't sustain ignition? And what are they using to spool it up? Sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but I couldn't tell from the video. I think it's way cool that these guys pooled their resources and made something. Maybe the youth of today (hey, they're youth to me) AREN'T going to hell in a handbasket.

Later
                        Dan
                        Dan, it looks like they are dumping raw fuel into the exhaust side of the turbine. They have a spark plug in a boss in the tail pipe and they light the fuel there. I'm guessing they interupt fuel flow to control the RPM's of the turbo, or maybe turn the spark on and off. Hot as it was getting I think they stop fuel or it would run away on them.

Neat trick, the 5 gallon bucket of gas right under that red hot turbo is a little sketchy though...

Comment

The bucket underneath is oil for the turbocharger's bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by L98camino

Later
                            Dan
                            Dan, it looks like they are dumping raw fuel into the exhaust side of the turbine. They have a spark plug in a boss in the tail pipe and they light the fuel there. I'm guessing they interupt fuel flow to control the RPM's of the turbo, or maybe turn the spark on and off. Hot as it was getting I think they stop fuel or it would run away on them.

Neat trick, the 5 gallon bucket of gas right under that red hot turbo is a little sketchy though...
                            it's a little more complicated that just pouring fuel into it. Once the mixture is lit, the ignition isn't needed. I've seen this donw locally and there's some work involved in getting it to be a stable system.
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                              Originally posted by L98camino

Later
                              Dan

it's a little more complicated that just pouring fuel into it. Once the mixture is lit, the ignition isn't needed. I've seen this donw locally and there's some work involved in getting it to be a stable system.
                              I guess I should have looked a little closer, oil in the bucket, duh.
                              Do they have to pump air down into the exhaust side to start the tubine spinning?

Comment

Working...
                              X