Shop Tour Photos: Sire Custom Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Tour Photos: Sire Custom Performance

Yannick Sire is quickly becoming a friend and I finally made it over to his new shop locale near the airport on Imperial Hwy. (The building is seen in the last Die Hard flick where Willis is driving the semi.) I always heard about the monsters he builds, so I snatched my camera and said hello.

First thing that I saw was this super clean '66 Chevelle. The owner paid $16k for the car with the really nice midnight blue paint, but dropped another $25k in parts alone with Yannick. Much of that went into the sbc under the hood. It makes about 550 hp. It's now getting suspension and brake upgrade to go with the new power.

On the ground is a pile of parts from CPP. A big disc brake kit for both front and rear, rear trailing arms, springs, sway bars, and other goodies. Yannick is a master at suspension building from scratch. That will be happening up front. I will try to get more on how he does that.

This '67 box Nova just got a new 724 hp pump gas sbc to replace the too much 848 hp 540 bbc. Currently, it's getting a dry sump oil setup.

Under the hood, is the sbc with Nascar type of stuff. 15 degree heads, and Edelbrock intake, Dart Iron Eagle block, etc. It also replaced the flimsy front suspension with a front clip from Chris Alston's Chassisworks. It basically uses Mustang II geometry and fancy rack and pinion.

That big tank holds six quarts of oil and the lines run to the three stage pump that runs off the crank pulley.

The rear leaf spring suspension got tossed in favor of Nascar type truck arm setup from Hot Rod To Hell along with QA1 double adjustable shocks. Pizza sized Baer brakes front and aft behind those Billet Specialties 18 and 19's.

Inside the Nova includes a cage, modern buckets, and TKO600 5 spd.

Yannick is one of those guys that is a mentor to young hot rodders. One kid who hangs around the shop is working on on this '69 Camaro. It's way, way cool and getting a serious road race setup.

Check that engine setback!! Talk about equalling the weight bias front and rear. Behind the 400 rwhp 406 is a Doug Nash 5 spd.

Some of you sharp Camaro-philes might notice that 2nd gen Camaro clip with tubular A arms. This gets rid of the rear steer setup and a few other 1st gen Camaro suspension issues.

Yannick doesn't work on just high end stuff. This Fox Mustang just got a new engine. Sorry Ford guys, it has a 620 hp 406 sbc. Those were new tires out back. Yannick has videos of this guy doing 100 ft burnouts in the middle of afternoon traffic on the I-10. He was giggling. The owner was giggling. The other people in traffic were not. This thing is such a sleeper and would run 10's if it had tires that could stick. Even the cage was hard to see.

Yannick also builds bitchin 4x4's. He just sold his beloved International Scout. But, this poor transfer case came from a Jeep CJ with a four banger. I think it's a NP231 J.

Up on the back wall is some interesting stuff. Notice the super big trophy truck shocks. The crap Doug's tri Y headers that are for someone who has no money. Below the headers is the back body portion of an old, old midget. It belongs to Mark Engle, son of Jack Engle of Engle Cams. Yannick is old friends with the Engle clan and gets nearly all the cams for his engine builds from them. The mini-mini bike is for stupid fun. Someone at a local airport is missing the flaps off of their Cesna.

My Impala is getting a new header panel because of the accident. I wanted to lose the nose emblem so I asked Yannick if he'd weld up the six holes for me.

I was wearing a welding helmet while taking these, but I wanted to see how he welded up the holes. Since the metal on this piece is pretty thin gauge, Yannick runs a thin ring around the hole to strengthen the metal, then builds it up until it's closed.

Last edited by Brian Lohnes; August 30, 2011, 06:20 PM.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Shop Tour: Sire Fabrication

Nice pics, some nasty-ass Chevies going on there.

Comment

Some decent upper level builds for sure ... nice write up Scott (as usual).
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

making good friends ........
        good to have customers

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          making good friends ........
          good to have customers

filled a few holes and got a free ad.
          chevelle 16k and dropped another 26k into it.. on what gold plated sbc..
          I still see a plug weld rear end
          chevelle parts are not all that costly..
          what on earth did they buy to ring up 26k

Comment

Awesome pics, Scott. Sire drives a cool el camino. Feature???

http://www.sirecustomperformance.com...El_Camino.html

Comment

He may have sold it. He goes through the cars. I'll have to ask him. He also sold a 600 hp Intl Scout recently. He's currently dinking around with a 57 Chevy 210 2 dr wagon with a 496. I havent seen it yet.

I'll post updates as they come along.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

very nice. Thanks.

the paint on that chevelle is really flat... beautiful car.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Youre doing good Scott.Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrari812
                    Awesome pics, Scott. Sire drives a cool el camino. Feature???

http://www.sirecustomperformance.com...El_Camino.html

I asked Yannick about the Elco. It's currently in pieces for proper bodywork. It had a ton of bondo hiding rust including three bullet holes in the B pillar right by the drivers door.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

So I stopped by Yannick's shop today to pay him the rest of the cash I owed him. I brought my camera and took a couple more pics.

The Nova is nearly finished, but the owner decided he needed a splined style rear sway bar. No problem. They just have to cut out some of the roll cage, weld in plates on the trunk floor, and then weld in support bars for the sway bar, then reweld the cage bits that were cut out some place else. Easy, right?

That '66 Chevelle is rolling into finishville soon too. Yannick had the rack down to install a CPP hydro boost and power steering pump. I snuck some pics while he wasn't looking.

Inside the Chevelle.

Here's a better pic of the 406 sbc that Yannick built. It's pushing 524 hp at the crank.

Today, I met some neighbors of Yannicks. A couple well aged mechanics and really nice guys, but I had to yell for them to hear me. Here's some pics of what they specialize in. Cords. I've never seen one in pieces before. This one was a barn/garage find that is getting restored. Here are some pics of the engine and transaxle.

The flathead V8 is similar to the Ford flattie with the exception that the exhaust ports are on top of the block as well.

Check out the high rise intake manifold.

The three speed transaxle is shifted by vacuum and controlled electrically from the dash. That is the vacuum manifold.

The entire transaxle is in front of the grille and hidden under the front bumper filler panel. Cords were way ahead of their time. This transaxle was later used on Tucker Torpedo's with the exact same shifter on the column.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

This is Priapism. Yannick's twin engined rod he built for stupid, giggly fun. It was in HRM last year. I thought you guys would like to see it in action.

This is the first ride in the car at his house before it had mufflers. His neighbors must hate him.
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Part throttle burnouts. Those Nitto 555 drag radials don't have a chance in hell.
                        Stage 2 1400hp comingFor more on this buildCheck out our Fb pagehttps://www.facebook.com/Sire-Custom-Performance-119552208145923/And our Ig Page https://inst...

Different angle and inside view of the twin V8 car, the tires are Nitto NTO5 Drag slicks 315/35/20 Note: The road is at a 10 degree angle and is 2300 lbs wi...

Here he is on the Vega Strip at SEMA last year. Chad shot this. You might here him.
                        For more on this buildCheck out our Fb pagehttps://www.facebook.com/Sire-Custom-Performance-119552208145923/And our Ig Page https://instagram.com/sirecustoms...

Busted!!
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Yannick calls those 470 hp 383's junk engines. Ha! I suggested he build 377's that are more windy, less torquey. Each of his current engines get 480 ft lbs torque at 3200 rpm is way too much, way too early. I think moving the torque band up by at least 1000 rpm would help it hook. OK, who am I kidding? There's no way this car will hook. : :

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

any more pictures of the foxbody?

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss
                            any more pictures of the foxbody?
                            It's sitting there without it's engine. Blew a head gasket and had something else wrong, so it went back to the machine shop.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

When I saw that car in the mag I kinda thought it was more an exercise in fabrication, now I know better!
                              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                              X