Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No more Earl Scheib to kick around

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
    sheib jobs looked like colored primer , dang , with all the illegals , it is not like he couldn't get help
    probably state inspections and cash for clunkers taking all of the old cars of the road
    nope I'll bet it was the being phased in water based paint systems and warranty issues with it..
    also the old school boothes are illegal in most areas now, and the legal ramifications of your name over that booth is to big..
    and updating most locations would be very costly,,

Comment

My Dad and I Sheibed a car and flipped it back in the 80s. It turned out pretty decent, but then again we did the majority of the prep. Still a lot of overspray too....

I actually gave some thought to having the camaro painted at Maaco after I scuffed it and fixed some dents, I was quoted $600 some bucks. My buddy was able to 2 stage it for a little over $500. I'd use them on a DD though, especially when they have a sale going.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        Originally posted by milner351
        Randal - you can't complain about a cheap paint job stored outdoors that's "only" lasted 9 years.... hell some factory paint didn't used to last that long!
        I'm definately not complaining! Heck, I took a cleaner wax and buffing wheel to it two weeks ago, and where the paint isn't cracking or pealing, it still looks fantastic (blue metal flake). In fact it's a major reason why I'm considering using them. Especially if I get my garage built. And silver usually doesn't have to be perfect perfect because it hides flaws pretty well.
        Yeah, what Milner said. That original silver on the Skylark was one of GM's crap paint jobs from the factory. Baking off in the sun of North Dakota in less than three years.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

paint yer own !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
            Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
            Originally posted by milner351
            Randal - you can't complain about a cheap paint job stored outdoors that's "only" lasted 9 years.... hell some factory paint didn't used to last that long!
            I'm definately not complaining! Heck, I took a cleaner wax and buffing wheel to it two weeks ago, and where the paint isn't cracking or pealing, it still looks fantastic (blue metal flake). In fact it's a major reason why I'm considering using them. Especially if I get my garage built. And silver usually doesn't have to be perfect perfect because it hides flaws pretty well.
            Yeah, what Milner said. That original silver on the Skylark was one of GM's crap paint jobs from the factory. Baking off in the sun of North Dakota in less than three years.
            The silver was put on in the early 90's by my Dad, LOL, the factory color was a sky blue.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Too bad,my friend had his Camaro painted by them in The Bronx years ago he did the bodywork and they just sprayed.It looked really good after then he sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                never heard of earl schieb.

did hear of maaco, and learned they use acrylic, and water based.. and well, that is as retarded as it gets.

I paid 140 just for a quart of iridescent with a real catalyst, and unique reducer...
                without real urethane, ya now that stuff.. it can even calm nuclear...

why bother painting.

on the drifiting subject.. I finally found some real red oxide primer (it pretends a negative... paint is very strong)
                the only stuff I stay confident with coming out of a spray can. :
                what color is the sky in your world????

Anyhow - the Macco / Earl Schieb thing - here in Canada we just have Macco, not the other one, but I have had 2 cars sprayed by Macco, and for what I wanted, both were fine.

One was a Cavalier my sister had wrecked, it was red, looked pretty good after a $350 respray back in about '98. Still looked good 3 years later when a drunk plowed the car while it was parked (I had sold it long before then to a friend)

Also had an S10 that I had re-sprayed white for $450 in 2002. After that I drove it about 150000kms over the next 3 years (~95,000 miles), still looked almost as good when I sold it.

Neither one was exactly a "show stopper" finish, but both looked decent. I'd never do a car I really cared about, but for a DD on the cheap, why not?

Comment

I know of lots of drag cars that have been given the Maaco touch.

Look great from the stands and tower!
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I had my ride painted by Maaco in Chicago back in 1989 with their urethane paint. I remember talking with the guy and my price went from 500 to 1500. It has held up great (pic is from 2006). It is garage kept, but did a few Chicago winters before I started buying disposable winter beaters. ;D

I think it really matters more who the individual is who does the work. My Maaco guy in 1989 was a musclecar lover and took a lot more care doing mine. I remember going to an Earl Shieb before Maaco, but the shop looked like a mess, so I passed.

Milner - I have that number stuck in my head too, but I forgot it was Empire. The other number stuck in my head from Chicago days is Hudson3-2700, although I can't remember who that was for either.
                    Tampa, FL

Comment

$1500 at maaco should get you a good paint job.

Back in college I helped a guy for $$ on weekends doing "quicky" paint jobs. We'd literally pull it in Friday night after a good pressure washing, and by Sunday afternoon the paint was curing. He'd do a pretty darned good job for $1000.

I'd be happy with that kind of job on the ranger when I get there.

My problem is I hate hand sanding - and my shoulder is getting worse all the time (messed it up putting a M22 into a '67 vette on the floor of my folks garage in '95) and sanding really kills it.... so - I plan on doing the ranger with as much machine sanding as possible.... in all my free time. :

Hudson 3-2700 -- that's an oldie - have to ask Pops about that one.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

TYler 8 seven one hundred. Mr. Belvedere.

Dan

Comment

I think Dan's might be another one for Milner's Pop, since I think that one's a Michigan thing.

The internet is a great thing for reconnecting broken links in the brain. The Hudson thing was for a local Chicago carpet cleaning business.

End Hijack.
                          Tampa, FL

Comment

It was Belvedere Construction. Garages, kitchens, that sort of thing. They had a pretty good reputation if you didn't want anything fancy. The guy (Mr. Belvedere) did his own ads - VERY badly. It was sort of game to see how awful the newest ad was. He actually had a VERY Jewish name but used Mr. Belvedere because he thought it had more mass appeal (I guess).

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X