A Week at the Beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Week at the Beach

We just got back from a week of doing almost nothing. We have a favorite place for that type non-activity.

An original portion of the coast Highway 1 remains north of Ventura CA as a mix of deteriorated concrete roadbed and seawall, and asphalt patchwork. This section was long-ago supplanted by a six-lane freeway on the hillside, but rather than tear it out or close it down it has been maintained as a camping area. Nice. One contractor's stamp we found was from 1927, when the project was the pride of the state.

We bought plenty of magazines for the week and the neighbor camping next door brought over another stack. A 1915 book written on the construction of the Panama Canal was twelve dollars at the used book store, a 20 minute bicycle ride into town. I spent two days with my nose in that...the contemporary account was far more interesting than anything I've read that was written since.

There's plenty of rocks along the coast and castles are fun to build for kids and grownups alike. Arches are easy, if you know how...

A handful of friends met us there for a few days of bbq, bikes and brews. The guy at the tail of the pack -might- be a well-know So. Cal. street racer. A moment after taking that picture, I was stuffed into the bushes with my kid laughing at me. It might have paid to be watching where I was going instead of turned around snapping photos.

The County Fair was running a distance down the coast and we had a nightly fireworks show.

There were birds, dolphins and sea lions to watch for. This old guy, battle-scarred and very ill, crawled out of the surf along a deserted area to breath his last. He was dead about two hours later. There were a couple other old carcasses along this section, I guess everybody has to go sometime.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wonder if the younger members among us are aware of the legend of the Facowwe? (There are various spellings, but all pronounced the same.) They were an ancient band of wandering Indians, known for a poor sense of direction and rarely understanding exactly where they were. The actual tribe is lost to history, but as we travel we may occasionally join them in brotherly spirit. Say it with me now...

"WE'RE THE FACOWWE!" ;) ;D ;D

Re: A Week at the Beach

Looks like a great time!
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Man - now THAT is a vacation!

nice work - or should I say - nice NO WORK!
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Your campsite is wonderful! I did not think there were really any campsites right along the beach! What fun! What is the name of this place?

Comment

Looks like a very nice, relaxing place to camp.
          I think we Americans need to spend more time on vacation and less time working for the man.

Comment

Looks like an awesome time.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Loren
              One contractor's stamp we found was from 1927
              That's something I would notice, too....

Great story, thanks!
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

dang it... now I need to schedule a beach trip
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Life is a Beach !
                  ;D

Comment

If life's a beach, where's my cabana boy?!
                    Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDOWN
                      What is the name of this place?
                      Emma Wood State Beach, north of Ventura. Due to the location there is no water/power/outhouses so camping is "Self-Contained RV" only (and our old '80s 5th wheel does just fine). It used to be $20/night first-come-first-serve but now it's $30 w/ reservations neccesary in the summer, w/ about 90 spaces available.

There are a lot of campgrounds along the CA coast where you're close to the shore, like a short walk away, but this is better. 8) There is NO deep sleep like what you get when the ocean waves are right outside your window. You might wake when a freight train comes through...I love that and it just means I get the pleasure of drifting off again.

Now, you guys do know what "We're the Facowwi" means, right? (Where the f*ck are we?!) :o :D

So the buds are off to Bonneville and I'm back at work...oh well...

Comment

seemed quiet enough..
                        nice place.
                        I can't even think of a quiet place anymore.
                        I climbed a hill, found a view.. and the car was on the edge of a rock, rock on the edge of a cliff...

How the hell did I find such a surreal place...

oh. the no trespassing sign was covered by bushes. :

I gotta see how the inuits do with nothing, learn, and move to alert nunavut.
                        what the heck, its the same winter wind.

;D

As a teen, dimantled family (I am hardly sympathetic about it) I found a camp to live in for exchange of work. Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months.. the silence had me deciphering coyotes from wolves, bears from both...without sight.

mentioning indian. There is a primitive we all let go of...does not have to be gone forever.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

A week at the beach and no pics of bikini clad beach bunnies?! BAD LOREN!! BAD!!
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Love your description of sleeping near the waves! Sounds absolutely blissful! thanks for the locale. 8)

Comment

Working...
                            X