No Anitfreeze in racecars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Anitfreeze in racecars?

This has become a big topic lately around here. Seems the IHRA does not allow antifreeze at all in any racecars (any class) is the NHRA the same ?. I don't have a rule book from the last couple of years so can any member here fill me in on this strange rule or confirm or deny NHRA's ruling on this.

Re: No Anitfreeze in racecars?

ahhh, YEP
    worse than oil to clean up , some tracks will suspend you if they find antifreeze in your car
    at englishtown , in the street cars , we ran antifreeze [back in the early nineties] , nobody checked , but in the fast car , h20 only

Comment

sure makes sense as far as maintaining the strip and for safety...but kind of a pain for street driven cars! I've only been to a couple NHRA strips in the past few years in my 55, never any checks for antifreeze at tech inspection. And I had a heater core start leaking at the strip one of those times. Didn't leak out of the car, just got the windshield foggy, so I bypassed it.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thats fine but, you better ban ALL street cars from going down the track as well then

IMO

More cars leak trans fluid than anything else
        sigpic

Comment

circle track is the same way, dirt and pavement, anti freeze is a big no no
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Same in roadracing, I think its pretty much universal.

Comment

We try to get everyone on H2O (maybe with some water wetter) at Maxton. I won't say that no one ever runs ethylene glycol but I think more and more have switched over. I just open my rad and block drains on the Camaro every Fall and so far it's been OK. Probably ought to run the car a bit afterward but it's been all right.

Dan

Comment

I've never heard of any rule like that (doesn't mean it doesn't exist), it might be certain track's rules ... I've never been checked. I run anti freeze and I've puked it out on the track before and nothing was said to me ....

I know that idiot on PINKS says he'll ban you from his show for life if he finds you're running anti-freeze ...
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Did you go and see the idiot this weekend? ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
                    Did you go and see the idiot this weekend? ;D ;D ;D
                    Perhaps they should ban motorcycles first ;D
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It is the hardest fluid to clean up,worse than synthetic oils!! You guys that are bitching must never have had to sit in line while they cleaned up some smart asses mess! Get your self a clean container-drain pan and get the antifreeze out before you go to the track,save everybody alot of grief!!!If you don't like the rule then keep your junk at home!!! ROY.

Comment

this was a PITA when ever i raced my GP almost made it not worth it was also expensive having to keep buying anti freeze :-\. i live in michigan it can freeze in the middle of july so of course my car had antifreeze it was also my DD. well i switched it out to water for the last race of the year (it was mid-october)it was cancled drove back i was upset so just parked the car for the night. it freezed i was lucky it only popped a freeze plug

Comment

Working...
                        X