Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ow, my back!

Also known as, Living in the Rust Belt?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: Ow, my back!

He should feel lucky it happened there and not doing 70 mph down the freeway.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I had something like that happen at the garage I worked at in HS....was an old caddy, maybe a 70 or 71....we put it on the lift for the state inspection and it bowed in the middle...the frame was shot...not even the local frame god we called "the Smithy" (this guy was abso-freakin-lutly amazing with steel and a torch) could save it....the old lady was in tears. she was always dressed like she was poor, the car looked like crap...she always put 2 or 3 dollars in the tank.....3 days later she brought in a brand new Lincoln....and put 3 dollars in the tank!
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

During a break in my Gov't career I worked for a friend who specialized in foreign car repair. It was common (like one a month) to put a VW Rabbit up on the hoist and go back in the office to tell the owner "you don't have a car anymore". They came apart right at the base of the A-pillar.

Dan

Comment

Toyopet pickups are known to have frame rust issues.....but sheesh, that's wild
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

thats what killed are 91 tempo was working on it at school we could not put it on a hoist. the hoist would rise but the car would not. put it on the alignment rack and well i drove it home and parted it out.

we bought that car in 1990 we loved that car the 2.3 (non-ponto engine) was reliable and tourqy car drove like a 6 cylander

Comment

Doesnt look that bad from here, Im pretty sure I could fix it.

Comment

you probably could :D

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                  During a break in my Gov't career I worked for a friend who specialized in foreign car repair. It was common (like one a month) to put a VW Rabbit up on the hoist and go back in the office to tell the owner "you don't have a car anymore". They came apart right at the base of the A-pillar.

Dan
                  that truck is so maine. ???
                  the nissans did it, the chevy luvs, s10s pretended to have a little more (it is a good thing) and my brothers 3/4 ton... the frame dangles obvious on the big trucks.. simply make a decision beforehand about a lift.

the rabbit is like the dodge omnis, nissan sentras, and a bizarre poison on the tiny ea81 subaru hatchbacks ... a-pillar magical disappearing act. there is many others with the design, like all of them. :

I had an 87 subaru make all kinds of noise going up on a lift.. no body work done, about 18 at the time..as it turns out, the moron was riding the sharp edge of a rocker panel instead of the jacking point.. and it still lifted....little tanker in comparison to alot of similar rusty j-tinners. not all is lost.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Ow. That hadda hurt.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

toyota quality

Comment

the bendpak lived up to its name
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

OH
                          WHAT ,A
                          FEELING FELLING FELLING

Comment

I had bought a 1965 Impala in Ft. Lauderdale in 1975, it was a Michigan car and the frame was like swiss cheese... when we started to lift the car it looked like an old horse with a bowed back.... LOL

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                            1966 Plymouth Fury III
                            2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                            Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                            Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

The Rust Belt Syndrome is something that none of us in the South can even nearly identify with. When it snows once every three years a coupla inches? It paralyzes the region for a week.

Salt? Southern road crews are only now discovering it, but there's so little need for it... All the snow plows are somewhere else, north of here.

But after hooking up with Sue Unit (she's from Pittsburgh) I got a look at it firsthand. Her dad had an S-10 pickup with 60K miles on it, and you could see through it when he finally got rid of it. The fenders were rotted off. You could stand on either side of that little truck and see next Thursday straight through it.

No, that was new to me. Totally foreign.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X