2 door or 4 door car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 door or 4 door car...

You will be shown the results after you've voted, and your allowed 2 votes....

Keith
    2 door car of average quality for 5k
    0%
    4 door car of average quality for 1K
    0%
    never a 4 door
    0%

Re: 2 door or 4 door car...

I'd do a four door if it's the right car. I would buy a 4 door Dart. I've also considerd 4 door Fairmonts and LTD II's. Not much I would consider in the GM world 4 door wise, but I would do a Malibu Wagon. I've got alot of ideas, but I need the money, space, and time to make them a reality... :-\

Comment

The answer there is predictable: two-door every time. It doesn't really address the usefulness of four-doors as fun beaters. Using my '65 Chevelle as an example, it was $1,500. I have another $300 in brakes and tires, and I can drive it anywhere any day. I might spend a few grand on AirRide and some pinstripes to make it a cruiser, but most people wouldn't. If I had $5,000 in the car, I might be able to sell it for $3,000 and write off the loss as entertainment value.

Meanwhile, a two-door in the same as-purchased condition is $3,500-$5,000 out here. You'd be obligated to spend big $$ to fix rust, etc, to make it a street machine.

To me, four-doors fall in a different category of car fun, so it's not "either/or." You buy 'em when they are cheap and fun and have parts-car potential. When I was at Hot Rod and started asking people for Commuter Rods photos, over half were four-doors.

Comment

Four door cars are donors for two door cars
        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Sorry guys I had to modify the poll....

2500 was WAY to high... and David's right.. there is a fun factor here... so I put that farther into the option pile by lowering the 4 doors price...

Y'all have 2 votes....

Comment

Freiburger...

OF COURSE it's predictable... why do you think we have statistic's and polls.... if not to prove a pre-determined point in our favor...

Ya gotta admit that I did adjust this one fairly well... cause I can see you doing just what you've already done... and sticking the extra 7k you saved on this project into 5 more cars... ( one of them was expensive at 3k )

Comment

I voted 2-door, but I guess you could get a 4-door and use the money you saved and put into a motor that you can take out and keep, when you are done with the 4-door parts car.

Comment

As usual, it depends on the car. I'd never buy a 4 door camaro, nor a 2 door "cop car" crown vic.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I think almost everybody had rather have a 2door but for the differance in money a 4door sounds pretty good.In the old car or streetrod scene 4doors are a lot more aceptted than they use to be,I think because old ones are getting harder to find all the time,in a few more years more people will not look down on them in 60's and 70's cars.I got a 48 Chevy moredoor and really love it.

Comment

It would matter the 4 dr. I really would like a 55-57 chevy or 55-56 plymouth wagon with four doors. A four door hardtop is also a viable car to me because it usually shares the 2 drs hardtop and the rear doors pretty much disappear to the average person. Check out my 4 dr hardtop 57' Pontaic Laurentian. I just bought it up here in the rusty north for $1800 - it has a disk brake conversion on the front, alternator conversion, TH400, mint interior, and very minor body issues. It a canadian car so its built on a 57' Chevrolet chassis and drivetrain.

An engine swap (it came with a blown up 327-300hp with 462 camel hump heads), fixing the minor rust issues in the rockers, fresh black paint, lowering, some different rims and tires, and maybe a rear door handle shave, and I wll have a real nice cruiser for around $5-6k with room for all my friends.

Comment

I am not against the RIGHT 4 door but prefer 2 doors. The wife on the other hand votes NO 4 doors.(she is a little younger) The older I get the better the 4 door bargains look.

Comment

Comment

Since I had a nice rust free 71 Impala four door and pulled the motor to stick it into a total rusted out piece of junk 69 Impala 2 door because I had to have a 2 door. It's still one of the dumbest automotive desicions I ever made. Sure most 2 doors look cooler, but I would take some very cool 4 doors made over the years. 55 Ford Fairlane hardtop, 57 Chevy Bel Air hardtop, 64 Continental, 57 Eldorado, 64 Buick Special wagon, Olds Vista Cruiser, etc.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

To me it's real simple. When you have a tight budget and you know you want to add HP build a wagon. Good weight transfer, room for goodies or friends, and they respone to the same tricks any other car does.

OK who remembers:
                            Mary Ann Method? She and husband Cal won many NHRA Class & National events along with some divisional championships with a '65 Chevelle wagon.
                            Charline Tilton? Ran a Pontiac ('65 Catalina?) wagon called "Tons of Fun" and also won some National events.
                            Arnie "Farmar" Beswick ran a '63 Tempest wagon called "Grocery Getter"
                            Al Eckstrand was a combatant with a '67 Dodge Coronet wagon.
                            Even Gene Fulton the guy who makes killer HP today started out racing a '63 Chevy II wagon....

I like 'em!

There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

I am really starting to like the 4 doors just for the fact the Barrett Jackson has ont inflated the price on them yet. Also the convienence of being able to pile people and stuff in it is great. It just seems like the average person cant buy a 2 door any more.

Comment

Working...
                              X