NOT an ordinary day for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NOT an ordinary day for me!

Regret it if you want, but not everyone can be a boomer. Not everyone gets a cool job. The chances of ending up broken with your mind screwed up then having people appreciate what you did, but not lift a hand to help all the while taking from you, well I dont think it was worth it.

I would still go in again if I had it all to do over, even knowing full well how it would turn out. I dont regret it, not in the least, but you shoudnt regret it either, I am sure you are better off now than you would have been had you enlisted at 18 or 19 and went to war.

Comment

Todd

Part of me knows you are right - the other part is pure dreamer.

I really respected the guys that were in college with me that had already done a 4 year committment with uncle Sam. They were more mature, more self disciplined, they treated school like a job - they worked hard, and they played hard, and most of them trained hard in the gym too (something that was at one time important to me).

They were easy guys to look up to - they did everything well, got good grades, etc.

I would have been a prime candidate for desert storm, and I'm quite sure had I been in a combat situation, I would have had a really hard time turning that part of my brain off and adjusting to civilian life. I probably would have been a basket case for a while, then cured enough to only be one of those jumpy guys that you didn't surprise from behind, and always had to sit facing the door in any public locale.

Thank you again for your service, I hope to be able to shake your hand and tell you that in person some day.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351

I would have been a prime candidate for desert storm, and I'm quite sure had I been in a combat situation, I would have had a really hard time turning that part of my brain off and adjusting to civilian life. I probably would have been a basket case for a while, then cured enough to only be one of those jumpy guys that you didn't surprise from behind, and always had to sit facing the door in any public locale.
        That is me. It is lots of us. It is my brother who is still in. I wouldnt wish this hell on anyone, but I like to think of it as I went so you or someone else didnt have to, and you dont owe me a damn thing. I just want something to go right for a change. I miss the USAF, I miss feeling safe on base, I miss being part of something much larger than just me, and I miss having a mission in life. Most of all, I miss not being alone.

Comment

Very cool, a rare opportunity to say the least. Sounds like you had a great time.

If you ever make it out to Arizona I will give you the nickle tour....cant get you on a flight but I can show you some cool shit.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Cool!
            Andrew
            1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
            2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455
              Originally posted by milner351

That is me. It is lots of us. It is my brother who is still in. I wouldnt wish this hell on anyone, but I like to think of it as I went so you or someone else didnt have to, and you dont owe me a damn thing. I just want something to go right for a change. I miss the USAF, I miss feeling safe on base, I miss being part of something much larger than just me, and I miss having a mission in life. Most of all, I miss not being alone.
              You are NOT alone, Todd. No, I don't understand everything you are going through, but there are people who have been where you are. You are not alone. You are not a burden. It is not your destiny to come apart at the seams. There are people who care enough to help. Please remember these things.
              Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

cool pics thanks for posting!! my wife wants to fly on a plane someday,
                i have but not anything that cool!!
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Working...
                X