Guess this car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess this car

This is my new project car that I recently acquired. Can you guess what it is? I know, not fair when the fenders, bumpers, lights, trim, windows, etc are all missing from the car, but maybe someone will recognize it. I'll fill you in on what it is, and why the hell I have it in my shop tomorrow. It will be a long-term project.

Pics:

Still plays with trucks....

Re: Guess this car

50 something Benz.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Crap Reb, I thought it would take a little longer than a few minutes for someone to get it. You are correct though, 1958 Model 219. My grandfather bought the car about 4 years ago in need of a complete resto. He dropped it off at a resto shop, where it has lived ever since. He recently decided that he has too much money wrapped up in the resto, and doesn't want to sink any more into it, so he gave it to me on the condition that I finish it. Good thing is that most of the hard work has already been done, floors are new, frame rails have been repaired, trunk has been rebuilt, and doors, quarters, trunk, and roof are finished and ready for block sanding and paint. Bad part is that it still needs the front door posts rebuilt, front fenders need some major reconstruction, and there is some rust repair needed on the rear axle mounts. Plus the big problem is that there are a lot of little parts needed for the resto, that I'm realizing are uber expensive just because they say Mercedes on them. Let alone the little fact that I didn't take the thing apart, so I don't know where everything goes. But, I will get it done, even if it takes me 20 years. I'd really like to finish it for my grandfather, and I told him that he is going to have to live a very long life so he can see it done.

Comment

My inlaws had a rusty 230SL, I ended up with it. I sold it. Cheap. Guy who bought it did a way amateur resto on it, which actually was what the car needed, it would cost way too much to have done it "right".

Really surprised my wife when the car showed up at a local car show, and she figured out it was the car her mom drove in the 70s
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

There are many of those still roaming the streets of LA. Keep on SoCal craigslist, you might find a parts car cheap.

Oh look. You can drive both of these home.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

There used to be a Mercedes of that era around here that was all decked out in rally trim, including a snorkel exhaust and intake system that up to the roof area. Spare tire on a roof rack, rally lights, the whole nine years. Looked like it was ready for the East African Safari Rally back in the late '50's or early '60's. I kinda like that car, haven't seen it lately.

Comment

I just wish I lived closer to southern cali. I'd pick up one of those parts cars cheap just for the fenders and whatever trim that I could pull off of them. The problem with this area is that there are NONE of them around that I know of. This is the only car I've ever seen around here. Maybe I need a road trip...

Comment

Originally posted by ford141
                I just wish I lived closer to southern cali. I'd pick up one of those parts cars cheap just for the fenders and whatever trim that I could pull off of them. The problem with this area is that there are NONE of them around that I know of. This is the only car I've ever seen around here. Maybe I need a road trip...
                Ticket on Southwest. Buy the car with the diesel and get 40 mpg on the way home. ;D

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  Originally posted by ford141
                  Ticket on Southwest. Buy the car with the diesel and get 40 mpg on the way home. ;D
                  That's not a bad idea other than the fact that I would probably average 35mph all the way... The problem that I have with this car is that it was so rough that it should have been used as a parts car instead of even attempting a full-on resto. My grandfather is very stubborn though and decided that he was going to have it fixed. He has put wayyyy more money into it already than what it will be worth once it is done, so I can't really give up on it now. I don't have much interest in the car (I'm a truck guy) other than I would like to finish it for my grandfather. However, I also don't want to go poor trying to reach than goal, so acquiring a parts car is probably the best way financially to reach that goal.

Comment

Working...
                  X