Bench Race this w/me ... Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Race this w/me ... Part II

So with all the talk lately of budget EFI, junkyard turbos and Milner's trial and tribulations with his PowerStroke, this idea somehow sneeked it's way into my gray matter....

Is it possible to use a small cubic inch traditional V8 (GM, Ford, Mopar, it doesn't really matter) and convert it over to an injected turbo diesel? 300 CID or so, fuel injected with a turbo ... It seems with all the ease and affordability that systems like the MegaSquirt provide, it might be a cool alternative in our gearhead world. Not looking for HUGE power numbers, nor stellar MPG, just the wow factor, and someone saying "that's pretty cool".

If it's not possible or even reasonable to build ... why?

If you think it is reasonable and possible to build ... why?

Discuss ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Re: Bench Race this w/me ... Part II

Just think 80's GM Diesel motors that where in cars.

In the end I don't think a gasoline engine block would take the abuse of 20:1 compression and that isn't even counting the boost you plan on hitting it with.

Comment

I think TC is right on the money with current gas V8 blocks not being up to the task.

If, and this is a BIG if, you wanted to proceed with this, consider an older (pre 1970) Mopar 413 or 361 block. These have PLENTY of meat in the cylinders and a very thick deck surface. As for cylinder heads, I would go aftermarket, like Indy with some serious material on the mating surface. These engines, like an older small block Chevy, offer a better cylinder head bolt configuration than Fords for better sealing of all that cylinder pressure. Also, every 413 and 361 built in those years had a forged steel crank and the bottom end was supported quite well within the block with lots of webbing, kinda like a FE Ford. Later model 383 and 440 stuff, like brackets and manifolds will bolt on (383&361 are B engines, 413 and 440 are RB engines) so you will have decent access to parts needed to stuff it in a car and make it work.

Ron
      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Gotta agree with TC 100%...I don't think even the big Poly blocks would stand up to a boosted diesel. Best bet would be to un-F a BOP diesel 350.
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

if you really want to do this..
          get a 366 chevy..
          and use studs on mains and heads
          it be cheaper to just get a used oil burner..
          the top end will not be cheap.. megasquirt will not work on a older set up..
          only direct injecton..
          will not help you with the timed injector pump system..
          if g.m. couldn't do it cheaply(and THEY TRIED) you're gonna fail as you'll be use'n the same stuff they had avil to them.. and a engineering dept.that you don't
          non boosted. you might get to work..
          but boosted... no way in hell..
          A ROCKET block would be a good start as the race block has ways to add a 6th head bolt.. and they are bigger bolts to start with..
          but not cheap..

Comment

Use a 6,2 or 6,5 Detroit,or a 5,9 cummins.

Comment

The hard part is getting the injector into the cylinder using gas heads. Diesels require a timed injection of fuel into the cylinder under pressure. I guess if you got into design, you might be able to make an injector that screwed into the spark plug hole. Gas injectors won't work since they work at much lower pressures. Then you have to drive an injector pump off the crank somehow.

It would be easier to destroke a 350 Olds diesel. That would just require an aftermarket crank and pistons.

Comment

Originally posted by RR
                The hard part is getting the injector into the cylinder using gas heads. Diesels require a timed injection of fuel into the cylinder under pressure. I guess if you got into design, you might be able to make an injector that screwed into the spark plug hole. Gas injectors won't work since they work at much lower pressures. Then you have to drive an injector pump off the crank somehow.

It would be easier to destroke a 350 Olds diesel. That would just require an aftermarket crank and pistons.
                whats the olds 260 stroke?

Comment

Olds 260 stroke = 3.385"

All small block Olds (260 thru 403) had the same stroke- just the bore size varies. Diesel 350 had same stroke.

Comment

Diesel 350s make awsome gas engines lol

350 diesel aslo has larger main jurnals then a traditional SBO it uses the same mains as a BBO. another reason racers like the DX so much

Comment

Working...
                    X