Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone identify this old funny car body ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone identify this old funny car body ?

It's been a good day ! I picked up this old funny car body today along with some intakes, carbs and assorted other parts. This body was SUPPOSEDLY brought to SE Kansas from the Las Vegas area many years ago. The guy I bought it from painted it as you see it. The original photos of this car show it white with red lettering and blue trim. It was named "The Bounty Hunter". I am VERY skeptical that it has anything to do with the legendary Kalitta family. To make matters worse, I'm not even sure what kind of car it is supposed to simulate.

I've had no luck finding any manufacturers markings on it and the only tell tale sign of brand affiliation is the bowtie body release pull on the front. There is a very elaborate painting of a female straddling a cannon found on the bottom of the escape hatch.

So let's hear it guys and gals... what do you think ?

Dean

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Can someone identify this old funny car body ?

Because it doesn't have the big huge wing I want to say pre '86 but the lip around the bottom says around 90 or so, tail lites say Berretta? Maybe?
    My guess A/FC not AA/FC.

Wait tail lites painted wroung,what was that Olds thing Force used to drive?

Comment

Those tail lights are "simulated" 1999-02 Camaro lights in my opinion.

Going off of the wing alone, it is definitely a mid-1980s car. I am thinking that it could be a Daytona or perhaps even an earlier 1980s Mustang body.

This may be one for the blog!
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I think we have a winner with whoever said Berretta.

Comment

Well, I'm no expert but I can tell you what I think. The body shape is a beretta,since it's been repainted, I think they repainted it as a camaro. I saw something one time. My dad lived in Jax Fla. I told him one year I wanted a glas hood and bumper for my nova. Dad was a very karismatic person that was a GM at a dealership there. Just so happens Hairy glas bought parts from them. He talked our way into going there on a day they were closed to get my hood and bumper. The owner took us on a tour showing us molds and some projects. The main thing I remember seeing was a brand new Beretta that they had dis assembled to use in their mold. I never asked if it was for pro stock or funny car but he had shown us other funny car bodies that day. One thing about Hairy Glas I can tell you for sure. His stuff was always different than the run of the mill stuff. My snorkel hood was unlike any other I ever saw. I'm not saying he made that body, but I'm saying he was a part of that world should be researched as a possibility. He was not as popular as alot of the other glas companies was unknown to many.

Comment

Beretta for the win....didn't see that before I guessed wrong.

Comment

maybe it was johnny west's BANZAI beretta ?
              chuck etchells future force ?

Comment

WOW I might be right! Beretta.
                Dang I spent a lot of time at the races in the '80's.

It would make sense that I might know that shape if it was something Johnny West Ran,I spent a lot of time at Firebird from '82-'92.

Comment

the body line at the rear lights id berretta.. if it was missing that line it be the olds clone or sunbird..
                  nice find,, now you need a chass

Comment

I was really hoping they had achassis laying around, but they didn't. They bought the body without a chassis, painted it up and never raced it. Kind of putting the cart before the horse if you ask me.

As for me, I'm not going to race it. It's for sale but I'd sure like to know its' history before I send it down the road.

Dean

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      Those tail lights are "simulated" 1999-02 Camaro lights in my opinion.

Going off of the wing alone, it is definitely a mid-1980s car. I am thinking that it could be a Daytona or perhaps even an earlier 1980s Mustang body.

This may be one for the blog!
                      I was thinking Daytona when I saw it as well....then I thought it looked like a Sundance....I am banking that it was a mopar

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I was thinking camaro until I seen the side windows...The wing says fuel car...Who did you get it from?
                        Originally posted by TC
                        also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

I purchased the car from a low budget husband and wife operation here in NW Arkansas. They purchased it about 3 years ago from a guy in Baxter Springs, Kansas. When they brought it home it was still wearing the "Bounty Hunter" colors. The guy painted it up, put it outside and covered it with a tarp. He never raced the car and he never owned a chassis for it. They are supposed to get the name and number of the previous owner and she assured me she had a stack of photos. They've sold their house and they're moving so much of their personal effects are boxed up. Hopefully she'll find it soon.

Comment

scott kalitta ? I only remember the olds firenza body

Comment

Kalitta ran a Mustang body back in the early 1980s as well.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X