New addition to my garage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New addition to my garage...

This summer I moved from SoCal to SW Georgia. In CA I lived in base housing and lawn care was provided, but here I have to rent (not enough housing on base) and for the first time since moving out of my parents house I have to mow the lawn. I could have gone to HD or Lowe's and just picked up a cheap mower, but I have a good sized yard and wanted something self-propelled (couldn't justify the cost of a rider for a place I'll live at for probably only 3 years). So, I checked out the local pawn shop and came up with this Snapper for the same price as a cheap push mower at HD or Lowe's. A oil change, new spark plug, some carb cleaner, and a blade sharpening it runs good as new.

Re: New addition to my garage...

I have a 25 year old Craftsman that still starts on the 1st pull ....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

That's the "hi lift" good heavy steel deck too - not the cheap tinfoil decks they try to pass off on the new cheapies... you've saved yourself a bunch of time in the next few years by NOT getting a new cheap pile of garbage.

nice work.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Good mower.

Comment

leave it up to you ole timers to get a hard on over an old lawn mower!

i mean come on guys,.....i understand wanting to preserve the history of our automobiles but when do we draw the line with a push mower??

Comment

Easy there VW boy!

That's a bitchin' little Snapper!

I love my old Wheel Horse tractor that I cut the lawn with here.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

a tractor is on thing......but a PUSH MOWER ???

i'm from the country and i can see someone wanting to save a 63 corvair from a crusher, or maybe a 1968 farmall tractor, but again i don't see many people running down to the local scrap yard to save a push mower that they used to make $20 bucks with back in the 50's!

just my opinion.

Comment

I get where you are coming from....but...these things become a slippery slope.

Go check out a new mower at the local massive home store and then look back at this Snapper. The one at the box store was built in China with parts spec'd out to be far cheaper than the way this piece was constructed. That's kind of a piece of rolling history.

When we stop giving a crap about something simple like a mower, what's the next thing? Pretty soon, they're just "old cars" and who the hell wants one of them.

Hell, guys collect antique outboard engines. Being a gearhead means that you engage your brain on stuff like this.

I dig it.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by goBIG_or_goHOME
                  a tractor is on thing......but a PUSH MOWER ???

i'm from the country and i can see someone wanting to save a 63 corvair from a crusher, or maybe a 1968 farmall tractor, but again i don't see many people running down to the local scrap yard to save a push mower that they used to make $20 bucks with back in the 50's!

just my opinion.
                  it's like this, to get the same mower now, you have to spend 500.00
                  one that will last, not stal with thick grass if you let it grow a liitle to tall. and moves under it's own power..
                  the el cheapo lawn machine will be dead after one season, as most el cheapos are engines with alum, cyl.
                  the one he has will have an iron liner..

my mower was 540.oo and I'd have jumped on that snapper, as he's more than likely got 130.oo in it. and it'll run forever..
                  tho I ran mine over with the back hoe.. it's still rocking..

Comment

If it has an engine, makes noise and either moves or does some work .... it's IN !!
                    ;D

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                      If it has an engine, makes noise and either moves or does some work .... it's IN !!
                      ;D
                      Ding ding ding ..... we have a winner! That right there just about sums it all up .....
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Man I get that totally...

Back when I was a new CW2 in my first house with a lawn I did the same thing.... bought a 80 dollar Edger that was a John Deere instead of the Cheapy one from Sears..... this thing is still in my world... and works great... 25yrs later... life rocks....

Go Snapper

Comment

come on, put the typo back

Comment

good mower is not just a compliment.

I tinkered with my dads riding mower recently, they added a gadget one could find on an 87 subaru carburator: a valve that shuts the meter off. In the tractor on the one/2 cylinder punching its way around in a wobbly nightamre, why why why did they put a ricer gadget on the old style engine..., it only goes to tell me: that midget country would not know balance if they knocked their own island over in the pacific form putting too much on one side.

anyhoo, never an end to my rant.. the same goes for cars.

16 gauge steel and better is turning into some kinda gold for no reason at all... but by simply existing. I am a welder, work with several pansies for other strong reasons, I learned first hand...

and a newer vw guy complaining of a mower with a "who cares" make sense. The new vw does not care about you or anybody else either. ???
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                              ;D
                              Sh*t, it doesn't have have to move or do work and I still think it's cool.

Comment

Working...
                              X