Patriot heads SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patriot heads SBC

Free Shipping - Patriot Performance 2169 with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Cylinder Heads at Summit Racing.

was thinkin of gettin these for the wagon. They'd be goin on a crate 350 bottom end.
    Any one have any experience with them? Comp cams thumper cam will be used as well.

Re: Patriot heads SBC

I've heard to stay away from Procomp heads, but nothing about patriots to date.... nice price for sure.

With the cost of good machine work, guides, valves, etc... buying new sure starts to make sense.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

china dolls
      dart or world products would be my choice

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        china dolls
        dart or world products would be my choice
        Cast in China, machined in Atlanta, Ga.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

oh , joy

Comment

buying dart from dick maskin or world from bill mitchell , guys I have seen at the drags since I was a little kid ............the price ain't much more

Comment

The 406 in dad's Nova is built in a Dart block and topped with Dart Pro-1 heads.

Their stuff is top shelf.

Comment

I'd agree with the others..

the casting is a classic to get bitching about as iron, tiny high compression chamber..except now aluminum from china.
                ???

those 1.6 exhaust.. damn man. those are as old as the leaded fuel those dimesnions started with.
                I love to stab at realities about this, I lost every machine... even a tiny stroked subaru engine is bigger than 1.6...with a 2.65 inch stroke.

get some more modern pro advice. Brians mention of dart, start there?

I remeber these in the late 80s, maine was going to ethanol. Very disappointing for street. in fact.. that industry died here after the bad heads.. edelbrock was another one to avoid. Do not now what they are today, check around thoroughly to non sales people.

I just noticed ductile iron valve seat material...that head is crap. they coulda gone brass like/ less than steel to bridge hard valve to aluminum. I would not trust it.. heck they do not even need it on real heads towards titanium. I guess that is something to seek as well..

no valve seat material equals tough head to begin with..
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Get a pair of World Products Sportsman II's.....You'll be much happier....

Comment

Brian,can you give some more detail to that 406 ? Im thinking about one for my Monte Carlo (the one in the pic)
                    what going on inside and where did the stuff come from (rotating assembly) ?

Comment

I personally favor Maskin's stuff, and they went above and beyond when I needed a set repaired ....

Who makes the the Summit brand stuff? or is that it?

Why not Vortecs?
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                        Brian,can you give some more detail to that 406 ? Im thinking about one for my Monte Carlo (the one in the pic)
                        what going on inside and where did the stuff come from (rotating assembly) ?
                        It may be a little much for a street car with the 14.5:1 compression but...

It has a Callies crank, Oliver rods, JE pistons, Comp Cam, based in a Dart Little M block and topped with Dart Pro 1 heads, an Edelbrock Super Victor intake manifold and an alky Holley carb (car runs on methanol).

It is in a 1970 Nova which weighs 2900-3,000lbs and it'll go high 9.80s on a good day with the right air.

I'm not sure a 406 is the best way to go for a street motor as I've heard lots of guys who know stuff say that the rod angle will promote accelerated piston ring wear. That's just what I've heard, and there are obviously lots of them out there.

In the race car, it's a pretty bitchin' piece!

Comment

I for one would love to see a full feature on the nova Brian ... :
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Me too, me too.
                            I love Nova's ..... and a 406ci SBC ??
                            Oh yeah baby !!
                            ;D

Comment

I'll third that idea.... love the fact that it's been a family affair for so long too. You and Chad have that going for ya - pops and grand pops that are into cars. Me - not so much.

Some of the stroker piston geometry gets a little scarey - sweet for a drag motor, circle or road race or street, not so much.

Short piston skirts with big angles shoved into the thrust face of the block do not spell durability.... but they can make stupid power in a small package.

With the uber high quality parts in the Senior Lohne's 406 - I don't guess there will be issues, but I'd hate to see the aftermath of a cheapo import ebay stroker kit.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X