Patriot heads SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Patriot heads SBC

I ran a set of these Patriots on a 383 in my truck and didn't have any problems (other then not having enough gear for the cam and victor jr I had on the engine). The flow numbers were good too for a cast head. If I had to complain it'd be that they're machined for both centerbolt and perimiter valvecovers and it was hard to get my perimiter's to seal. I'd have run centerbolts but I already had wide body rockers. Something to think about if you don't have the rockers yet.

FWIW, the Summit heads are all cast/machined/assembled in the US.

antmnte, I'm not sure the 406 would have bad angles for a street motor. Lots of 3.75" stroke motors running around out there with no problems. I think a lot of the "wives tales" come from assuming that racing failures will happen at street RPM. By that logic, stock 5.0 mustangs would have all exploded on the drive home from the dealership because of their thin castings. Consider that the 400 had a shorter rod from the factory even though it will take a 5.7 or 6" rod and the 400's were obviously severe duty engines in 3/4 ton trucks and fullsize chevs. The only guys I've ever seen de-stroke a 400 on a regular basis are circle track guys and yeah, a 3.75 stroke is probably too long for extended periods of 8000 rpm with factory castings.
    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

John

Are the summit heads available for Fords?
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

nope SBC and BBC only.

They probably figure it'd upset the balance of the universe if you guys didn't have to pay the "Ford tax." Still, that's just a taste of what it's like to be a buick guy (eagle doesn't even make BBB rods :'().
        Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Not that there aren't plenty o choices for SBF heads as it is... but I like summit and would like to support them when I can as well, especially when they use good American's to build thier stuff.

Don't worry - I won't go BOP on ya - but can't you grind a BBB to use BBC rods?

My FE stroker crank uses BBC rods. ;D
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

I'm not sure a 406 is the best way to go for a street motor as I've heard lots of guys who know stuff say that the rod angle will promote accelerated piston ring wear. That's just what I've heard, and there are obviously lots of them out there.
            That is why you go with a 5.7 or 6 inch rod. ;)

The 406 in my '71 Camaro has a Crower 4340 non-twist forged crank, Manley H-beam rods(5.7), TRW Forged Pistons, Total Seal Rings. The Block is a GM 509 block that has been treated to splayed caps and a ton of machine work. An Edelbrock gear drive turns the Crower solid roller cam with specs of 303/312 adv. duration, with 270/278 .050 duration, and .675/.675 lift on a 103 LSA. The heads are Sportsman II's with 2.08 and 1.625 valves and they have been treated to some heavy port work. It's all topped off with a Weiand Team-G single plane intake and a 800 holley DP. Also I have about 13:1 compression using a Flat Top piston. The combo should be good for 600-650 hp and that doesn't even include the NOS Big Shot system I have on it which is good for another 350hp.

Other goodies in the motor are a Crower Rev kit, Comp one piece custom pushrods, Comp Pro Magnum Roller Rockers, Crane stud girdle, a Fluidampr and a Milodon diamond scraper windage tray. Plus the heads and main caps are studded. And the headers are a pair of Hooker Super Comps 1 7/8" primary to a 3 1/2" collector. And topped off with a Complete assortment of MSD ignition. ;)

Comment

that thing will be great [once it is done ]

Comment

So yeah or no on the 406 ? I dont know what i want yet. Im kinda kicking it around but thanks for the road recommendation. Can one be built say with 9-9.5:1 comp. ? Am I better off going with a 383? I liked that 408 in that 55
                that was in Car craft a while ago too but it looks like a PITA to build. (I should just start another thread)

Comment

chev sells a crate 383
                  Free Shipping - Chevrolet Performance HT383 C.I.D. 323 HP Crate Engines with qualifying orders of $99. Shop Crate Engines at Summit Racing.

available at summit or your local gm dealer

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro

I'm not sure a 406 is the best way to go for a street motor as I've heard lots of guys who know stuff say that the rod angle will promote accelerated piston ring wear. That's just what I've heard, and there are obviously lots of them out there.
                    That is why you go with a 5.7 or 6 inch rod. ;)

The 406 in my '71 Camaro has a Crower 4340 non-twist forged crank, Manley H-beam rods(5.7), TRW Forged Pistons, Total Seal Rings. The Block is a GM 509 block that has been treated to splayed caps and a ton of machine work. An Edelbrock gear drive turns the Crower solid roller cam with specs of 303/312 adv. duration, with 270/278 .050 duration, and .675/.675 lift on a 103 LSA. The heads are Sportsman II's with 2.08 and 1.625 valves and they have been treated to some heavy port work. It's all topped off with a Weiand Team-G single plane intake and a 800 holley DP. Also I have about 13:1 compression using a Flat Top piston. The combo should be good for 600-650 hp and that doesn't even include the NOS Big Shot system I have on it which is good for another 350hp.

Other goodies in the motor are a Crower Rev kit, Comp one piece custom pushrods, Comp Pro Magnum Roller Rockers, Crane stud girdle, a Fluidampr and a Milodon diamond scraper windage tray. Plus the heads and main caps are studded. And the headers are a pair of Hooker Super Comps 1 7/8" primary to a 3 1/2" collector. And topped off with a Complete assortment of MSD ignition. ;)
                    Is that thing ever going to run? :
                    Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                      So yeah or no on the 406 ? I dont know what i want yet. Im kinda kicking it around but thanks for the road recommendation. Can one be built say with 9-9.5:1 comp. ? Am I better off going with a 383? I liked that 408 in that 55
                      that was in Car craft a while ago too but it looks like a PITA to build. (I should just start another thread)
                      I wouldn't copy any of Ted Toki's crazy ideas.

Patriot's and most others' heads are just copies of Edelbrock's RPM heads. One company makes them in Australia that I hear is pretty darned good.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Ya know, a feature on the old man's car (used to be my ride!!) is in order!

The sucker runs purty good.
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Thanks for the hi-jack guys! ;D

Comment

YES!!!

Comment

you have the power, nepotism is OK in this situation. Chad should do one on his dads camaro as well.
                              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                                I love my 406 (and the ones I have that have grown bigger)
                                the Tq is awsome 400 lbs stock with a junk cam and a 2 bbl
                                my first one when I was 18 or 19 was a 406 with old 2:02 heads and a decent cam and it was great and 9:5 .1
                                the newest one we just did is a 406 splayed caps good crank 5.7 rods,afr heads .535ish heads (check would you run this cam thread) and the normal details like a msd dizzy,fluid damper etc... you will like one
                                and the past 4 I have done run 195* al day in the heat of summer

Comment

Working...
                                X