• Show
Clear All

Re: Patriot heads SBC

TRY THE OLD 400 WITH BEARING SPACERS ON 3.48 STROKE TRICK

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      TRY THE OLD 400 WITH BEARING SPACERS ON 3.48 STROKE TRICK
      The good old 377, kind of like the DZ302's big brother. ;)

Comment

big bore short stroke

Comment

I ordered them through Jegs, they showed up with giant springs instead of the ones i ordered, called Patriot direct, they shipped me a new set with stickers, a t-shirt and no shipping bill or anything....they went on a stock flat top bottom end, with a comp xe282? cam, air gap, 1" spacer, BG mighty 750, hooker headers, harland sharp rollers, msd everything. The guy i traded cars with is doing a frame off on the car, tub and narrow. He had his "engine" shop dyno the motor, they made some jet changes, left the timing at 36" locked in. It made 477hp at 6300rpm(stock bottom end eep!) and 451 trq at 4g's ish.....Needless to say i was stunned. It worked well in a 4200+ pnd car with a 411 gear but jesus i wish i coulda done it in a 70's Nova or 30's Street Rod.....anyways, that was with the Patriot 195's and i liked em...

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
            big bore short stroke
            how big is a 400 with a 302 crank?

Comment

Sounds like the answer to the original question is - they work pretty good! Thanks BYGDDY for the input... sorry to see the canadian poncho go - but that olds is awesome - and more room for the family!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

ive heard good things about them heads
                406's like 5.7 rods
                6 inch are a little more of a pain because of clearance
                COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Why should the 406 have more ring wear than a 383?.

And those patriot heads looks tempting...i need a set soon for a 406 ;D

Comment

I believe these heads, and most like them, start to have issues when you lift the valve over .600

They lack in a few other areas but they are better than a stock cast iron piece. These and the Dart Pro ones I would not want to spray they have a weak deck
                    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                      Why should the 406 have more ring wear than a 383?.
                      The confusion on my part came from Spiff talking about taking a 4" bore block with a 4" stroke I think. The 406 in question is a 4" stroke 406. (Normally when you say "406" we all think of the 400)

I don't have any experience with a 4" bore 406 other then to say it's already a PITA grinding a 350 block for a 3.75 inch stroke crank, I wonder how much pan rail would be left on the 4" stroke version.

Windsors get a way with 408's all the time but they have a 9.5" deck and swallow a 6.2" rod giving it good geometry, the chevy with a 4" stroke and a 5.7" rod you're looking at would have worse angles then a 347 ford which were all the rage before people kept popping them and going to 331's. A 4" stroke and 5.7" rod would even be worse then the factory chevy 400 with the 5.565" rod. You'd have to go to a 6" rod to get mediocre geometry but that's going to push the ring pack WAY up on the piston (only an inch of room). That stack height will probably burn some oil.

I would keep life simple and go with a 383 with 5.7 rods on a 350. If you can't live without at least 400 cubic inches, go to a 4.125 bore block.
                      Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Working...
                      X