Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The economy can't be that bad

Originally posted by studemax
    The only reason the economy is doing bad is because of the "dooms dayers". Sure the unemployment rate is 10%, but what people seem to forget or maybe discount is that the "Employment Rate" is 90% and last I checked 90% was an "A". At that the normal unemployment rate is around 4% and if your trying to say that and additional 5-6% of the people not working is going to tank our economy you have no clue and should probably not worry your little pretty head over it.
    I think you're the clueless one, TC. The actual jobless rate is much higher - folks have given up and gone on SS. The banks are not loaning money, they are hanging on to it. The foreclosure rates are still high. Home sales are down. Layoffs are still happening countrywide. Whole states are going bankrupt.

Sure, there are bright spots in the murk. But the murk IS growing.

Not around here, I was just at my buddies shop, he now has 5 mechanics working for him, plus two service writers and a couple of part time guys and he's still swamped with work. And his top mechanics will make close to 6 figures!!!! And this is from an independent shop. :o And just think not even 5 years ago he was a one man shop. ;)

And as for me nothing has changed, I still make my money and life goes on as usual. And everyone I know that lost their job over the last 2-3 years are all working again and at that at better paying jobs.

Like I said you can dwell on the negative, or dwell on the positive, but when it comes down to percentages, 90% of us are working and going on with life. ;)

Also if you break it down by states some states have less than 5% unemployment, so I guess depending on what state you live in it maybe worse than others. Arizona has been hit pretty hard, between the economy going south and SB1070 we have lost a good chunk of our population. They say over 500,000 illegals left Arizona before SB1070 went into effect. And I believe it as I've noticed that traffic is a lot lighter than it used to be. But it starting to pick up and things are starting to level out, hell I even have people calling me for paint job again and I'm not even advertising.

I'm not discounting that people are having a rough time right now, but realize it's only about 5% of the total workforce that lost their jobs and sooner or later they will find new ones. I just think they exaggerate the unemployment rate as a political tool so that people will vote for their party.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      only 473k new unemployed last week
      Which works out to be 0.1% of the total population. ;)

Your talking about a tenth of a percent here, ya I'm sure the economy is just going to come crashing down. :

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
        Originally posted by studemax
        The only reason the economy is doing bad is because of the "dooms dayers". Sure the unemployment rate is 10%, but what people seem to forget or maybe discount is that the "Employment Rate" is 90% and last I checked 90% was an "A". At that the normal unemployment rate is around 4% and if your trying to say that and additional 5-6% of the people not working is going to tank our economy you have no clue and should probably not worry your little pretty head over it.
        I think you're the clueless one, TC. The actual jobless rate is much higher - folks have given up and gone on SS. The banks are not loaning money, they are hanging on to it. The foreclosure rates are still high. Home sales are down. Layoffs are still happening countrywide. Whole states are going bankrupt.

Sure, there are bright spots in the murk. But the murk IS growing.

Not around here, I was just at my buddies shop, he now has 5 mechanics working for him, plus two service writers and a couple of part time guys and he's still swamped with work. And his top mechanics will make close to 6 figures!!!! And this is from an independent shop. :o And just think not even 5 years ago he was a one man shop. ;)

And as for me nothing has changed, I still make my money and life goes on as usual. And everyone I know that lost their job over the last 2-3 years are all working again and at that at better paying jobs.

Like I said you can dwell on the negative, or dwell on the positive, but when it comes down to percentages, 90% of us are working and going on with life. ;)

Also if you break it down by states some states have less than 5% unemployment, so I guess depending on what state you live in it maybe worse than others. Arizona has been hit pretty hard, between the economy going south and SB1070 we have lost a good chunk of our population. They say over 500,000 illegals left Arizona before SB1070 went into effect. And I believe it as I've noticed that traffic is a lot lighter than it used to be. But it starting to pick up and things are starting to level out, hell I even have people calling me for paint job again and I'm not even advertising.

I'm not discounting that people are having a rough time right now, but realize it's only about 5% of the total workforce that lost their jobs and sooner or later they will find new ones. I just think they exaggerate the unemployment rate as a political tool so that people will vote for their party.
        really? you watch too much MSNBC... broaden your horizon's and change off the Obama channel. or move to OHIO, MIchigan, or Indiana............forgive me, I generally won't make a comment like this. but.......damn.
        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I do not watch any of the major network news organizations, none of them can be trusted. Especially FOX news......

Once you people realize that it's all a game and they have us all by the balls, is when we will stand up as one and take back our country and what it stands for. Because just like our domestic manufacturing, we've sold out our country and what it means to be American.

Corporate Greed is killing this country, there needs to be a Separation of Big Business(corporations) and Government.

And this LAW needs to be done quick, or this country will truly be F'd!!!!!

Comment

Your talking about a tenth of a percent here, ya I'm sure the economy is just going to come crashing down. :
            THAT NEW,, NEW PINK SLIPSON TOP OF THE UNEMPLOYED..
            THE REAL NUMBER IS 17.6% THIS INCLUDES THE ONES ON THE ROLLS ,THE ONES THAT HAVE USED UP ALL BENNIES AND STILL ARE NOT HAVING TAXES WITHHELD AND THE ONES THAT MOVED ON TO S.S. OR WELFARE..
            but only .003% of illegals that WANT TO WORK. can't find a job..
            no issue there.. look away ,nothing to see here..

Comment

well , there always next week

Comment

Proof in the pudding ,I dont believe half of what I read or hear. The local Chevy dealer has sold all of its new Camaro SS' and 5 Grand Sport Corvettes,all gone. Also Ive never seen so many new BMW 7series (not cheap) around here ever. So someone is making the dough and we are in a middle class area. Homes here are moving better too.

Comment

There must be a big flock of osterichs on this forum,cause they have there heads in the sand and dont have a clue as to what is happening around them.
                  Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                    Proof in the pudding ,I dont believe half of what I read or hear. The local Chevy dealer has sold all of its new Camaro SS' and 5 Grand Sport Corvettes,all gone. Also Ive never seen so many new BMW 7series (not cheap) around here ever. So someone is making the dough and we are in a middle class area. Homes here are moving better too.
                    lots of nyc/westchester public school teachers up by you , they have money to burn
                    my franchise will probably be pulled in october , so we are getting ready for the storm

Comment

I thought the unemployment rate was the people actually collecting unemployment and did not count those that weren't collecting but were still unemployed which would make the actual unemployment rate higher. I read that it could be almost double.

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07
                        I thought the unemployment rate was the people actually collecting unemployment and did not count those that weren't collecting but were still unemployed which would make the actual unemployment rate higher. I read that it could be almost double.
                        You would be correct Keith. I'll stop at that, as to not go political.
                        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I ordered new door window felts, "wipers" and door gaskets from a big name place online. Paid with a debit card. I kept checking my bank account and no withdraws from the company. I received e-mails saying the order was filled and thanks for the business. Got an e-mail saying the order was shipped but no tracking number was included. Got a follow up e-mail thanking for me for shopping there. They didn't withdraw the money and I haven't had any packages show up. It took about two weeks for all this to happen and it was months ago. I gave up. I ended up spending the money on something else anyway. I might try again sometime and make the order over the phone. I have since found the products at a little better price, so theres a good chance I wont go back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid
                            There must be a big flock of osterichs on this forum,cause they have there heads in the sand and dont have a clue as to what is happening around them.
                            Ummmm.....IMO.....

The clientel of this site is quite upscale. Most of them. A few of us are just blue collar working folks. we are a distinct minority here.

If you got money, you usually hang with folks who got money.... so you don't see what the average folk goes through. I just had to make the decision to pay my electric bill or buy a new radiator (JEGS 169.99 universal wit a 20.00 anode 216.67 w/shipping). I won't make it to work without the radiator. If I don't make it to work then nothing gets paid. So Duke energy will wait and I will have mac an cheese for dinner this week, again. I used to make 55,000 a yr. pretty fu##in good for someone who dropped out and then went back to get an associates in electronics engineering... lot of good it does me...I've had my resume out in the market for 4 yrs now and have had three interviews. and none of them wanted to pay more than 9.90/hr to start.

My ex is a computer database designer with 20 yrs experience and has been out of work 26 months now. she's gonna lose the house soon. we have about 4 people each week just walk in the front door of our shop and beg us for work..... people won't call a business anymore cause most businesses won't talk to job hunters... so they just show up and knock on the front door beggin'..........We have so many orders... I bet we have at least 45,000 buffing pads on backorder. But, we can't fill them ...cause we can't buy material. cause the banks won't loan us money. So the customers are going away, because they can't wait for us to get paid so we can buy more material......This bankrupting of america is a planned event. its been in process for about 30 yrs now. took that long to build enough debt to collapse the worlds leading economic force. Cloward and Piven. Look it up.
                            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

On a lighter note........

A recent government study found
                              that if your parents did not have children
                              there's a very good chance you won't either
                              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                                On a lighter note........

A recent government study found
                                that if your parents did not have children
                                there's a very good chance you won't either
                                LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!
                                Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X