• Show
Clear All

Re: The economy can't be that bad

Originally posted by Monk
    On a lighter note........

A recent government study found
    that if your parents did not have children
    there's a very good chance you won't either
    Shit like this is why we keep you around.
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
      Originally posted by Monk
      On a lighter note........

A recent government study found
      that if your parents did not have children
      there's a very good chance you won't either
      Shit like this is why we keep you around.
      Thanks Monk, we all needed a good laugh!

As for the recession, it'll all sort itself out eventually. Unfortunately, that "eventually" will be a long time from now. Pardon me for standing here in Canada and telling you Americans what to do, but when this is done, you'll most likely have a stronger economy, stronger people, and an all-around stronger America. There's a lot of things in both our nations that need change. Neither one of us is there yet, but once we stop voting for Stupid Steven Harper (our prime minister) and you folks stop listening to Rush Limpdick, things will get better a lot sooner!

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 ZR2
        Everyone is doing more, with less people. To survive, most business owners had to trim cost, and that usually means people. Those people that are left are working their butts off to try and keep up. At my store, we have added 2 people in the last 6 months. But, our business has grown more than the amount the additional people can do. I will add more, once I see the business stay up to require them, but until that happens we will keep working.

We get a load from e-mails, all day long. We try our best to answer them twice a day, but sometimes we can't even get them done once a day. Many of the questions involve quite a bit of work, part prices, labor quotes, and more. Sometimes people have to wait a while for their answers, and I am sure sometimes we might miss one. I never want that to happen, but with everyone working 60+ hours a week mistakes happen.

If you don't get the answer you need as soon as you need it, I would give them a call. We average over 40 calls a hour, and try to answer e-mails between them and walk in customers. I suspect many businesses are in the same position.

I was one of the emails that fell through your cracks.... I was inquiring about something for a friend. of course i emailed from work, and blew off 2 incoming wheel sales phone calls to write it. KARMA
        Charles

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
          Originally posted by antmnte
          Proof in the pudding ,I dont believe half of what I read or hear. The local Chevy dealer has sold all of its new Camaro SS' and 5 Grand Sport Corvettes,all gone. Also Ive never seen so many new BMW 7series (not cheap) around here ever. So someone is making the dough and we are in a middle class area. Homes here are moving better too.
          lots of nyc/westchester public school teachers up by you , they have money to burn
          my franchise will probably be pulled in october , so we are getting ready for the storm
          Theres more electricians and machine operators and laborers than teachers but there is also alot of financial people
          around,wall street types so that might help I guess.

Comment

they are bracing for job cuts
            after the 1987 crash ... I was working in croton , things got a little slow , but all those wall street guys back then had tons of cash ...they weathered the storm for a couple of years , then in 90 , things got really slow
            my brother in law is the only carpenter I know that is working [on the freedom tower at ground zero ]

Comment

locally here,where i (temporarily)just moved,small town of 10k...older population..most with a good pension from the steel mill or now defunct PPG plant..other than that..its not good here...but drive 45 mins and that all changes...

25 yrs ago..i would of given my left nut to move to florida...now...i will stay in ontario,canada..but i wouldnt mind a condo in florida for vacation times..(a guy can dream -lol)
              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Canada is rockin right now ...see it pays to wait

Comment

come down here on vacation , we need the bread

Comment

I judge the economy on a very complex method: the local 'Help Wanted' ads. If businesses are doing good, they are hiring people. Janesville Wisconsin might sound familiar to some because of the GM plant there closing not long ago. For awhile, their 'Help Wanted' section in the Sunday paper was 8 adds. Total. This past Sundays was actually up to a full page worth. Things are getting better, but slowly. It's astounding to me how somebody who is ready, willing, and able to work can only find part time jobs or temporary work. Any decent job is immediately inundated with over-quallified people desperate for ANY job. There was an add for a landscape worker at an apartment complex not long ago, you needed a college degree to even be considered. Hell, I used to be able to make money doing side jobs for people - change an alternator, do the brakes, etc... I can't even get that up here. I hear someone talking about needing work done on their car, I tell them I can do it and for cheaper than a shop. Their attitude? 'If you were any good as a mechanic, why aren't you working at a shop?' Pointing out that there aren't any hiring does absolutely no good.

As far as the poor customer service from the original post, 2 things:
                    1. People are swamped because they have to do three times the work they should be doing.
                    2. Employers don't want to fire anyone because they know if they do, the people who got fired won't be able to find another job and will end up collecting unemployment on them.

You can't win...
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

My niece works in the office of a local metal wholesaler, and they have an opening for 3 guys to work in the warehouse. Starting pay is $8 an hour. The company placed "Help Wanted" ads to run Sunday, Monday, and today. They had 158 applicants on Monday, and more today. Some of the guys came from Oklahoma to apply - they live over an hour away from Wichita. That tells you everything you need to know about the job market and the economy.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

"Cloward and Piven. Look it up."

1966 was it?

interesting read, and very telling, and interesting that you never hear about it in mainstream media.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

We're on track for a record year in sales this year. Our semiconductor division is up 400% and I've been working OT since the beginning of the year.
                          I R Bob
                          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I'll always have a job..
                            people have to eat ;D

Comment

Working...
                            X