How not to improve milleage on a Chevy truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to improve milleage on a Chevy truck

While taking to a friend of mine told his brother locked up the motor in his 2005 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. Knowing these trucks are pretty tuff I asked how? He wanted better gas milleage he bought a can of "sea foam" (as the can said it improves milleage) then addes it through the vacum line and seized the engine. I needed to share.

Re: How not to improve milleage on a Chevy truck

was it the intake through vac hose or the rate that killed it..
    don't they use that stuff to remove carbon ?

Comment

egr insanity leads to crazy actions. ???

my locale is horrifying with egr and carbon...I unhook it.

the same slow process that puts it in has to be the same way to take it out...

open it up to be clean, no recirculation. it takes awhile, but worth it.
      take a light and look in at the plug hole TDC..
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

No egr problem and I think the truck only had like 50k on it. It sounds like used a vacum line from the intake.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson
          While taking to a friend of mine told his brother locked up the motor in his 2005 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4. Knowing these trucks are pretty tuff I asked how? He wanted better gas milleage he bought a can of "sea foam" (as the can said it improves milleage) then addes it through the vacum line and seized the engine. I needed to share.

I suspect there may have been a bigger issue...I have been using Sea Foam thru vacuum lines on a multitude of vehicles for years and have never had an issue....infact that is what the directions tell you to do....In the crank case I could see...but thru a vacuum line?
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I guess pouring it into the fuel tank wasn't good enough....

:o
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Oops !!!
              :P

Comment

Ok, I've never used seafoam ??? did it hydaulic the engine or is something like seizing due to lack of lubrication in the upper end ???
                Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I would say he hydro-ed it. My bro.-in-law swares by the stuff. He takes it in thru a vac line.Seems like he does about 1/4 can then slowly increases till it dies.

Comment

once it dies youre supposed to leave it to let the fluid work on the dirt and grime...the restart later

I dont see how running it thru the vacuume line would be any diff than dumping it into the tank...a little more concentrated yeah..but it is not getting into the crankcase.

I wonder if the rings were bad, he added a lot of it really quick and it got into the crankcase? or did he really dump it in the crank case and run it....

I dunno, anything is possible...just seems odd.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

woundered if he just shoved the brake booster line in to the can and let'er rip

when ever i use seafoam i use one of the smaller vaccume lines

Comment

[quote=JOES66FURY2 ]I don't think the main thing is for it to reach the crankcase, more of a valve and possibly ring cleaner.

Comment

That engine had to of had issues prior to the SeaFoam. I find it hard to believe a can of it could be poured from the bottle it's sold in quick enough to hydrolock an engine. Make it stall, yeah, but permanently lock? I don't see it, it's like a total of a half quart distributed to 8 cylinders that are passing 5.3 to 6.0 liters of air/fuel ~5 times a second at idle (600rpm/60seconds and only half are induction strokes). So how much fluid can be poured in a second's time even? I personally have poured a can through the carb of two different cars. Using the same technique I use with water, pour until it starts to stumble, let it smooth out, repeat. Pour any faster and the engine just dies (done that too).

Also, even poured into the crankcase I see a minimal effect from 5+quarts of dilution.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I remember a guy on a import forum put a thread on how Bars leak destroyed his motor. When ask 20 questions it turns out he didn't read the directions and put it in his oil to solve a rad leak. I wish I could find the thread, it included pics and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by ethelkilledfred
                              I remember a guy on a import forum put a thread on how Bars leak destroyed his motor. When ask 20 questions it turns out he didn't read the directions and put it in his oil to solve a rad leak. I wish I could find the thread, it included pics and everything.
                              that thred included pics...funny as hell!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X