• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My new ride.....

Originally posted by BYGDDY
    Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
    grinding sidewalls ???????hmmm
    How to make your own wide white wall tires from any narrow white wall or raised white letter tire. As always, you do this at your own risk.

Tried it on a set of old tires at the shop fri, turns out it works, we then cut them and there is very little material actually grinded off. Got one tire done, it looks right before we cut it up to look at the thickness difference....minimal...so yah, grind the ones i have...looks ok, cost is zilch...or spend 1000.00 from coker......nah......im cheap....
    While I'm not totally down for grinding sidewalls, FWIW check out white wall toppers. Moon recently announced that they are making a variety of tire toppers again. I'm guessing most people have forgotten about these things in recent years because I assume they used to be more common.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N.
      grinding sidewalls ???????hmmm
      How to make your own wide white wall tires from any narrow white wall or raised white letter tire. As always, you do this at your own risk.

Tried it on a set of old tires at the shop fri, turns out it works, we then cut them and there is very little material actually grinded off. Got one tire done, it looks right before we cut it up to look at the thickness difference....minimal...so yah, grind the ones i have...looks ok, cost is zilch...or spend 1000.00 from coker......nah......im cheap....
      Without actually checking your link yet im guessing your talking about portawalls? I know a couple people who tried them on radials and they don't really work unless your running bias tires....

While I'm not totally down for grinding sidewalls, FWIW check out white wall toppers. Moon recently announced that they are making a variety of tire toppers again. I'm guessing most people have forgotten about these things in recent years because I assume they used to be more common.

Comment

Yep, they are Port-a-Wall style. My pops ran a set on his '66 Beetle (w/ radials) when I was growing up, didn't have any issues. I guess it depends on personal preference.

If you're interested, Moon has a video online of the installation - looks half decent to me.

How to install Port-O-Wall, Whitewall Toppers, aka White Ribbons, on an automotive tire. For installation of automotive tires, we a tire changer but this vid...

I've been looking at Port-O-Walls lately because I'm toying with the idea of throwing wide whites (or red lines) on my Crown Vic, but like you I don't want to drop $1000 on new tires either. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N.
          Yep, they are Port-a-Wall style. My pops ran a set on his '66 Beetle (w/ radials) when I was growing up, didn't have any issues. I guess it depends on personal preference.

If you're interested, Moon has a video online of the installation - looks half decent to me.

How to install Port-O-Wall, Whitewall Toppers, aka White Ribbons, on an automotive tire. For installation of automotive tires, we a tire changer but this vid...

I've been looking at Port-O-Walls lately because I'm toying with the idea of throwing wide whites (or red lines) on my Crown Vic, but like you I don't want to drop $1000 on new tires either. :D
          I gotta be honest, redlines or WW on the vic?......Would be very very cool....Yah i will go check out the link for sure....

Comment

portawalls fall off at speed ...

Comment

we used coker radial wide whites

Comment

I also imagine that if you beat on your car like I do and your tires regularly see side wall deflection (going sideways is fun!) then the Port-O-Walls would be even more prone to falling off. I'm thinking of trying a mild adhesive.

Comment

universal tire in hershey pa, beat both coker and diamond back prices. and stand behind them.
                  www.universaltire.com its is what replaced my bias plys!

Reading , Pa
                  Good Guys rodders rep.
                  "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                  Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

now lakes pipes are gone, and sitting much lower.
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                      universal tire in hershey pa, beat both coker and diamond back prices. and stand behind them.

That olds is sex...my problem is a Canuck thing, it's so friggen expensive compared to to the states. If i order them down there, by the time they get shipped, exchange rate, brokerage fees, it's nuts. I need a local supplier that can get WWW at a non nutty price. Hell that goes for everything, i want Appletons as wel but they are nuts to. Yah my Lakes are actually hooked up, it's all i have for exhaust, it's asshole loud. And with teh 4" blocks in it and 2 coils out of teh front the way they were run under the frame rails at the front makes them smash into everydamn thing out there. I can't even get in my own garage without blocking the tires to get it up. Gives me an excuse to re-route real exhaust under the car with tailpipes. I will leave them there cause i like em but just to look pretty. Any suggestions for muffs? No flow stuff, looking for period correct sound....
                      dave

Comment

Love these Olds ,one of my favorite cars. Why not drive it into the states from Canada put on the tires and drive it home?

Comment

people have been grinding sidewalls for years. we used to ADD whitewalls to blackwall tires. grind a groove, put in the glue, the the white rubber. put it on a hot plate for 15 minutes, buff the edges with a cutter wheel and there ya go.

or use the buffing wheel on a tire with a whitewall and skim off the black. import tires were iffy on how wide, but domestic stuff could go pretty wide...

oh and had some awesome black boogers when done....yummy :-[
                          Charles

Comment

if not installed properly
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

That Olds is Uber-cool !!
                              ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto

That olds is sex...my problem is a Canuck thing, it's so friggen expensive compared to to the states. If i order them down there, by the time they get shipped, exchange rate, brokerage fees, it's nuts. I need a local supplier that can get WWW at a non nutty price. Hell that goes for everything, i want Appletons as wel but they are nuts to. Yah my Lakes are actually hooked up, it's all i have for exhaust, it's asshole loud. And with teh 4" blocks in it and 2 coils out of teh front the way they were run under the frame rails at the front makes them smash into everydamn thing out there. I can't even get in my own garage without blocking the tires to get it up. Gives me an excuse to re-route real exhaust under the car with tailpipes. I will leave them there cause i like em but just to look pretty. Any suggestions for muffs? No flow stuff, looking for period correct sound....
                                dave
                                Get Smithys glass packs. They sound great on my boss stock 56 Fairlane. You can get them through Speedway Motors.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X