Requiem for a failure: The Death of Warhammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Requiem for a failure: The Death of Warhammer

Hey, it happens to all of us at one time or another. If you play with cars long enough, you're going to get that one you love, but doesn't appear to love you. I speak for a lot of people when I say I loved following the trials and tribulations of this car. It was cool because (at least to my knowledge) no one had done what you had done to a Dippy before. I'm sure that has inspired some to follow in your footsteps. Right now, you have the right idea. Just step back and catch your breath. Treat the ordeal you went through with War Hammer as a learning experience. You and I both know that if you picked up another Dippy tomorrow, there's things you'd do different (and would probably be easier to boot). As to your current fleet...the cars aren't going anywhere. They'll be there and waiting when you're ready. You could take all the parts you reclaimed from War Hammer and put them in the Mirada if you wanted, or get another Dippy and start fresh....again, when your ready.

Comment

Just to correct you on one item, Shannon: I am not responsible for 85% of the Diplomat...that goes to the original builder, Thunderstruck.

I've given thought to another M-body in the future...I'd like to do a '77-'79 LeBaron coupe up as my ultimate high-dollar car. It's pretty much where I actually started with these cars...

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Some "failed" projects:

1st car owned, '67 Nova 327/275hp. Dream car, big plans, but had body/frame damage beyond my ability at time. Spent lots of work and money to sell for loss. "Fail".
        2nd car '72 Vega. Motor shot two weeks after purchase, rode the bus to school and job all year, finally got it fixed/painted a couple weeks before graduation but wrecked on freeway a month later. "Fail".
        3rd car, 71 Vega...lotsa fun but botched up fender flares, body and paint (my first attempt at actually shooting paint instead of having freinds do it) so bad there was no saving it. "Fail".
        4th car, '74 Vega, first V8 conversion. Rear-ended at stop sign three months after finishing. "Fail".
        5th car, another '74, getting better at this. Aluminum 215 V8 and decent bodywork. Finished in October, burned 14 valves during run up the "Grapevine" in December (hadn't learned about carb tuning yet), wrecked on a guardrail the following February. "Fail", I guess.

Getting discouraged yet? "Hell NO".

6th car, yet another '74, nailed it (after taking three paint jobs to get it right). What a perfect car. I haven't really screwed up any since then, although there have still been many that didn't "happen" right, or all the way. That continues, but so what. The ones that work are worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
          Just to correct you on one item, Shannon: I am not responsible for 85% of the Diplomat...that goes to the original builder, Thunderstruck.

I've given thought to another M-body in the future...I'd like to do a '77-'79 LeBaron coupe up as my ultimate high-dollar car. It's pretty much where I actually started with these cars...

Ah, I see. But still, I bet you saw things that you'd do differently. Even though the car was 85% done, I bet you were still over (turned wrenches on) a good portion of that car. And it looks like you have ideas cooking in your head already. Like I said before, just take a step back and catch your breath. That will give time to expand on the thoughts for a 77-70 LeBaron. You'll be back in the swing of things before you know it.

Comment

Ive felt the sting and smelled the stink of the automotive fail many times!!!!
            broken head bolds
            lost parts
            sold projects
            lost intrest
            ect ect.... If any car or hobby doesnt give you peace
            or keeps you awake at night, time to get rid of it
            or step away from it for a while just set things aside
            dont let them wear you out!!
            COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

Man, I feel your pain.

Sometimes you just gotta walk away. When the urge to grab the gas can and strike a match gets almost overwhelming its best to take time off. I've walked away for significant periods of time, years sometimes. When I've regained the confidence in my abilities, and the patience that is so often needed on these builds, I start again.

You will to. Take a rest.

Comment

I push things off to the side too, the problem with me is that far too often it is for a decade or two. I had trials and cars fighting me when I was younger, anymore it is the F150 and a stupid Intrepid that are causing me grief. Hidden electrical gremlins killed both of those vehicles, that and 260k+ on them. I dont often give up, but I do often walk away and find something else to do while I let my mind rest and think of what the problem might be.

Comment

I think I've reached this point several times with every car I own. Its why i have an incredible ammount of respect for guys that have ONE project car.

Props for not EBAYing everything like I've been doing recently and helping forum bros out.
                  Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

project car overload
                    honestly don't know how people have the money to start , other than living at home with mom and dad or avoiding child support

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      project car overload
                      honestly don't know how people have the money to start , other than living at home with mom and dad or avoiding child support
                      It is all about the budget...how much does one make compared to where the hell it is going...I sacrifice things..like eating out, new clothes, If plan meals and all that shit...took me 4 months to sock away 280 for a welder...now I am saving for the tank and helmet...maybe in another 4 months...no hurry....it helps that my wife works too abd doest blow money on stupid shit...
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

As far as project car stuff goes, it doesn't hurt that I'm financially independant and only have internet, phone and rent as bills. When I got the car, I paid for it with deployment money, painted it with deployment money and put the rims/tires on it with deployment money. My total investment into the car at it's first finish was $4100 (Car @ 1700, paint @ 1700, wheels/tires at 800)

In perspective, last check the Mirada has exceeded $3,103. However, compared to the Diplomat, it's a much more useable car, isn't tempermental, and I'd drive it across country in a second right now compared with fun and fast, and much prettier, but a tempermental bitch and sketchy reliability.
                        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

do you have any updated pics on the chevelle? only one i know of has the vinyl top still on it

even if it had rust though holes it can;t be woures then the z28 i have

Comment

Project cars are all about unrelenting progress. A couple hours here, a couple hours there. A plan that just keeps you chipping away.

Money is the least of your worries, in my opinion, time is much more precious. With time, I can beat money, if I'm in a rush, money wins.

You wear it away, like water on a rock.

Comment

Working...
                            X