Requiem for a failure: The Death of Warhammer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requiem for a failure: The Death of Warhammer

Today I did what I have to consider the hardest thing that I have ever done that involved a car...I had to end what Warhammer had become - an out-of-control project that I could not feasibly dig myself out of, ever. I tried. I meant well, but "the road to Hell is paved with good intentions" and let me tell you, I can lay a f'ng road of 'em

The Diplomat had become an out of control quagmire of a project. I was lost as to what I was doing, I was fking up things left and right, Murphy's Law hit every goddamned time I did not need it to...and the last few months, I could not even stomach looking at what the car had become. It broke my heart, seeing it as a shell of itself. And what really fks with me is that it was so close... at one point it was almost finished! But of course, when there's a way, I'll find a way to screw it up royally, and I did that on numerous occasions during this. I have somewhat eased my concience knowing that this will help others with their projects, and some of the car is staying with me too. But I digress...it still blows. I finished the final strip today, dropping the rearend, pulling the pedals, and saving the 125-mph cop speedo. And the car hurt me, tried to kill me (fell off the stands shortly after the rear was out) and fought me for hours. It refused in every possible way to give up what it was.

And the whole time I felt like shit. I really did. I mean, this car meant a lot to a lot of people, not just here or in the Mopar community, or the Diplomat forum, but everywhere...Army friends who saw it show up, said it wasn't worth it only to be shut up after it rolled out of the paintbooth...friends who went for rides...the long cruises with certain people...and it did so much for me...it gave me something to focus my time and attention to...it gave me something to be proud of. I am not taking full credit for the car, that truly belongs to Thunderstruck, and as I've always said before, I only made it pretty.

I refuse to know it's final day. One of the guys off the Diplomat site is going to make one last strike for parts, then it's gone.

This has rattled me. I'm on hold for any future projects...the Monte's trans will get done, the Mirada's tailcone will happen...but after that, I don't know. I want the Chevelle gone, badly. I'm pretty sure the Ramcharger will be out the door soon too. I'm honestly fkn sick of cars now...my faith in my abilities and usefulness is pretty much shot.

Warhammer deserved better.

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: Requiem for a failure: The Death of Warhammer

Well, I hope you don't take the honorable way out and shoot yourself... ;D
    President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on".... Jimmy Buffet
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Dude, I have felt that sense of utter automotive failure. Made me feel like I was simply unable to truly handle a project vehicle. I ended up parting that truck out and moving on. Felt good when I got rid of it, makes me shudder to remember that mental place, but I moved on. You will to. Maybe with some regret, but.... it's just a car. It is not human and does not deserve anything. You will move on. Maybe you will do something with a car that will restore your desire to succeed. In the mean time, just enjoy the events and stuff you go to. Have fun.
        Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

a dilpomat that helds its front end up straight...
          ???

where is the shell going, great candidate for a couple of mig reels and go with it even bigger. :o

after my own weldeing body project from hell.. the american stuff is a walk in the park.

the dilpomat was one of the bigger failures around here... and such a tease. the size is right, panels are easy, it was built as cop car option...front end was a f*cking f*g...
          I still cannot determine if it was worse than an older 70s coronet cop car (my first car, lost before tha main road ever saw it) and I would build one with a chance ...still worth tackling no doubt.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The shell is going to the crusher.

I am assuming (for sake of peace) that the front-end crack was meant for the K-frame bending on the cop cars: That was cured by '87 by switching the source of metal used in the K-frame. It was found that about half of the metal they were recieving was of low-quality, prone to bending. (This is also a source of a rumor that some of the converted AMC plants were sabotaging products...the M-car line did switch to the Kenosha plant after the acquisition).

The biggest failure on the M-car is not the front end...it's the engine design. More specifically, it's 120 very choked HP from a 318. The exhaust is absolute garbage from the factory, and the Lean-Burn setup is legendary for how bad it screws up. A mild SBM does wonders for the feel of the car power-wise. Solid bushing mounts for the K-member, a 87-89 K-frame, poly bushings and a Firm Feel steering box cure the front end.

I can't believe I actually deciphered one of your posts.

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

tell tale signs of the 80s. :

I did run gm stuff mostly from then, the most drama was EGR, and the strange retarder found in the bleeding ignition doing something to the whole chassis.. other than that. I could assume them to be the winners through such a bad time in car manufacturing.

Even japanese chances for masters did very similar to the dodge.. absurd to think about, and a pain to decipher and fix. Not much escaped the 80s.

even the trucks broke unimaginable.

Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

RIP.

I feel you man, I do...I look at my junk that has not moved since last Novemeber and think about dropping a match down the gas tank..but I would probably f-k that up too....

The up side is that you tried, you learned and you had some fun....thats what it is all about.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Ohno!!...so cool and this was one of the projects i followed on Moparts.RIP.

Wasnt it just a fender that needed replacing and some other stuff?

Comment

The list at the start of the final phase:

Full rewire, front to back. This was completed using the entire harness from a '87 Gran Fury, but I never got to do a power-on test.
                    Engine...originally was a removal and cleaning, became an engine replacement when water had filled two cylinders.
                    Exhaust...after the engine, was used in the Mirada.
                    Interior...80% completed, from the Fury with the Diplomat's gauges.
                    Clutch...engine killed that thought.
                    K-member solid mounts...will be purchased soon, not sure if they'll see the Mirada or will be stored for my next heavy project.
                    Body: Driver's front fender, hood, and trunk replaced. Completed...in the bad pic, they are the flat-black pieces.

Comment

out of curiosity what would you want for the chevelle and what does it all need? is that the car with the rotted sail panles?

like i said on the other site sad to see it go wish i had the moeny when you where selling it

Comment

I would like to see $800ish out of the Chevelle. It still runs well, needs the driver's side exhaust remade, tags, and the glass put back in it (all of which I have.)

Comment

hmm that is in my price range and sense it runs i could just drive it.

only issue is shipping it

Comment

Hey, hey, hey!!! Now dont give up. Ok so you stripped her out....GOOD! Thats your way of telling that stubborn beast exactly who's in charge. I have a 81' D150 pick up with a slant six. That sumbitch fights me every inch of the way when I have to work on it. It's not your ability to fix it thats bad but the designers who made them so impossible to fix. Ever wonder why they made it so you have to remove 6 other things first just to get at the 1 thing that needs fixing? Thin out your herd and concentrate on 1 at a time. Good Luck

Comment

That sucks, but I know the feeling.

I was really expecting the thread to end with that tree next to it being chopped causing it to fall on the car. You know that would be way cooler than the crusher (though the tree might deserve better... :P)
                              Originally posted by Remy-Z
                              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                              X