Used car prices up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used car prices up

Well ,well ,well, the used car prices are up and we all know why, the big tax credit for gas guzzler buy out.

If you buying its a bad thing, but if you have one your getting rid of, well its a good thing.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...n--prices-soar

Re: Used car prices up

sorry not buy'n this.. look around there is tons and tons of used cars sitting on lots, wait'n for an owner.. there is no shortage.. there has to be at least 10000 within a ten mile circle of here all under 2300.oo never mine the non dealer for sales..

Comment

I assume he refers to people paying 35million in interest for a 3 dollar car, playing with banks and leases and not most of bangshift.

I just found an 85 diesel (5cyl turbo) mercedes wagon for a thousand...

my favorite j-tin is down less than 500 dollars...

cars that are real don't care about the finance games. In fact, it pushes that whole fairy tale aside.. and sometimes CRUSHES it.
      ;D
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I've noticed it. A friend of mine is starting college and was in the market for his first car, so he asked me to come along to check out the cars that he found and give him my gearhead opinion as to whether or not the car was junk or not. The kicker was that he had a $1500 cap on his budget, so we were looking for cars in the $1000-$1500 range. We walked away from 5 or 6 different cars in this range that should have been hauled to the scrap yard - serious rust issues, completely hacked up collision repair jobs, butchered wiring, motors singing death songs. We didn't expect to find a perfect car for that money, but we were just trying to find something drivable that we could work with and make reliable. The selection was few and far between. He ended up settling for a 95 Eclipse 5-speed that is very ugly, but mostly rust-free and runs decent. It has a LOT of issues, but it is at least drivable and able to be repaired.
        Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Yes it true use cars prices are up 30% in the last 6 months big shortage of them.

Comment

I'm seeing the same thing....
            I've trying to find a useable full size regular cab long box 4x4 truck for my father and even increasing his budget to $4500 hasn't made much available. This stuff is JUNK, I don't even care about body or the drive line.
            Most of the trucks people want 3 grand for have rotted frames, 200,000 miles and barely run.
            A lot of the "good" trucks worth $4500 got scrapped, bringing the price of junk way up.

It sucks.

Comment

I sold my 4x4 supercab diesel '97 5spd Ford F250 xlt for $7500 - took less than a week to find a buyer - this truck was rust free - but had a horrible paint job by the guy I bought it from - it seriously looked like it was painted in a driveway with single stage enamel, and never wetsanded or buffed - I would hope for similar results on my first paint job.

But - it ran good, had good tires, a kenwood stereo, and everything worked - including the AC. So - the gent didn't even haggle on the price - he wanted a 5spd powerstroke 4x4.

Trucks are funny - seems if you can find one that's not what everybody else wants (regular cab instead of super or crew cab) they are usually beat to death old service trucks without a straight body panel on them.

cash for clunkers sure made the junk yards a lot of money!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Wow, looks like I got a steal on my '98 Sebring in January. $800, 121K, a few scratches and chips, not a lot of rust, 4 tires that are basically new, an exhaust leak, mechanically sound and great interior. Changed the spark plugs and gaskets valve cover gaskets over the summer, though I didn't need to yet. I knew it was a good deal, but I didn't know it was that good.

Comment

Nice work Keith - well - for a mopar ;D

I picked up a feces wagon about a year ago for $2k - it's got more rust than most - but a one owner dealer serviced since new car with 160k highway miles.

so far so good - alternator, two tires, sway bar links, and brakes. Timing belt still looks good.
                  Put over 14k miles on it so far, last tank 29.6mpg zetecs are good little engines.

Comment

see craigs list under 2500.oo thread..
                    maybe we should do a under 1500.oo thread to debunk this.

Comment

I think the older cars are still out there because most folks would consider them too old for daily driver duty... it's the 90's stuff that has the power goodies and EFI that seem to be all gone thanks to C for C.

If I didn't live in the rust belt - I'd be driving a 60s or 70s vehicle for sure.

Comment

Are you sure of the cause? Might be that the car makers cut production way back, so they could actually make money for a change...and this has finally trickled down to the used car market.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          Are you sure of the cause? Might be that the car makers cut production way back, so they could actually make money for a change...and this has finally trickled down to the used car market.

bingo,,

Comment

I have not been in the market for a late model used car in quite some time. Other than classic cars, it seems to me that there are a lot of them on lots all over the place. My guess has always been that you can by a new car cheaper if you are not paying cash for either one. The higher interest rates on late model used cars negates the lower price. The is especially true with the low to now interest loans available on new cars.

Comment

If you're going to buy new - get exactly what you want, pay the least interest you can, and keep it as long as you can.

I've been driving beaters for several years now for daily drivers - as long as they're dependable, and the AC and stereo work - I don't care what they look like. Can't justify a new car payment any time soon. Too much else to pay for.

I don't think there is any one reason for the market conditions, it's a plethora of things.

one of the best ways to buy a used car is to buy one you're familiar with - and know how to fix - then buy one with a common known problem - buy low, fix, then drive.
                              (I did this with an 302/AOD tbird - advertised as "bad trans" - turned out to be the TV cable FELL OFF the throttle body)

Comment

Working...
                              X