Yep, looks like some of us are about to enter Suckville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep, looks like some of us are about to enter Suckville

Looks like Hurricane Earl is about to put an ass whooping on some of us who live on the East Coast. Earl is currently a Category 4 hurricane. Here's the projected path as of right now...

Re: Yep, looks like some of us are about to enter Suckville

Good Lord!

Batten down the hatches, prayers are with you - hope the fisherman all make harbor before that thing blows in sheesh!
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I was a boy in rhode island when it got hit in the early 80s.. and strangely the forecasters were shrugging everything hurricane off. As it turns out the eye went right over no. Scituate RI where I was living, and before it did, the noise was incredible. You could feel the pressure like a kc135e flying badly. The car moved in the driveway. the backyard tree that snapped an old limb shook the earth when it did. That whistle that never ended. Unlike a torando close.. this had a screaming whistle that went on for hours

the only prerequisite (and I remember clearly, even as a kid) was this very freakishly hot very dry spell in the days previous..I even thought animals were disappearing (we had a forested back yard)
      the heat even defied a northern breeze. We have one right now. including a fire hazard.. high of 94, next two days...

I hope it is a good wallop. Older neighborhoods have had these storms, and they are welcome in reality. :D
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

When in High School, my buddies and I would go surfing when a Hurricane passed by 200 miles offshore.
        The waves would get to about 50 feet and it would take us about a half-hour of serious paddling to get out past the breakers.

Looks like the projected path will bring some good waves our way.
        Good luck to those in the direct path.
        ;)

Comment

LEAD EAST !!!!

Comment

Yeah, we're hoping and praying that Earl doesn't veer any further east as it travels north. We're also praying that the front that is supposed to push it away from the coast does its job.

My cousin's son is stationed at Camp Lejuene and we have told them to head inland to our place if they feel uncomfortable. He is in the field someplace and his wife just called to take us up on the offer. That means we'll be playing with a one year old for a couple of days. (Yes, I am looking forward to it.) Evidently she has gone through some pretty horrendous hurricane evacuations in Texas and is not going to wait for the warnings and evacuataion orders to go out. I told her that was good thinking.

Comment

Weather is over rated. ;)

Comment

I remember a Hurricane Donna hitting in Long Island, NY.... I was 8 and it was awesome....

September 11, 1960 ? Hurricane Donna makes landfall on Long Island as a Category 2 hurricane. Sustained winds of 100 mph (160 km/h) on eastern Long Island and 70 mph (110 km/h) winds on western Long Island are reported, and tides are 6 feet (2 m) above normal along most of the coast. Strong waves also cause beach erosion and several homes along the shore to be destroyed. Due to well-executed warnings, damages are extremely low, and it is reported that no deaths result from the storm.

Good luck East Coast.....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                1966 Plymouth Fury III
                2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                  Weather is over rated. ;)
                  I dunno Tub, it's over-rated most of the time but not every time. I could write a book about Hurricane Hugo in South Carolina in the 80's. I could write a whole book about that one night, 150 miles inland. It turned me into a weather wimp.

Hugo's coming and I thought out loud, if I had some time off of work, I'd go down to the coast and watch it come ashore. I didn't have to. It came to us. What a horrifying few hours, the darkest night ever with an unholy soundtrack. The unrelenting howl of the wind, giant WHUMPS as every pine tree in the yard fell by the roots and miraculously missed the house, every one of them. Stacked on one another like firewood. The power was off for two weeks at our house. The entire grid was destroyed.

No I don't want no more hurricane. That one endless night made me forever afraid of even a strong summer thunderstorm. I'll never look at a tree the same way again, as in, "Which way will it fall?"
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Anyone who's asked to evacuate - prepare yourself to not see your home and belongings ever again. My wife's family were evacuated many times in New Orleans. But, 5 years ago when asked to leave for Katrina - they had no idea they wouldn't be allowed back into their house for another 18 months. Didn't really matter because there wasn't anything worth salvaging anyways.

Good luck to all east coast BSers!
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

SOB ! Musclepalooza at Etown and the Dover drag strip reunion on Sun. Maybe it will be done Sat afternoon.

Comment

I hope that bastard stays off the coast of Mass!

I'm only about 15 miles inland of the ocean so if it comes inward a little, we'll be right in the wheel house of it.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Hey Brian - flashlight batteries. And lots of propane to QUICK hurry cook all the meat on the grill before it goes bad in the freezer when the power goes off forever....and forget finding a bag of ice for a few weeks. And more people die trying to clean up the mess than in the storm itself.

Sure hope it misses y'all. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Sure hope it stays out in the water as a fish storm.

Let me tell y'all, hurricanes really suck. Even when you don't get killed in it. Hurricanes suck shards of steel. Bad. Real bad.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

they are say'n that the weather pattern of this summer and 1954 are almost mirror images,,
                            why does that matter , that is when edna killed the cape cod area..
                            they'll know in 24-48 hours if we get a little or a lot..

spidy, lead east, if they are smart will be called and done later..

Comment

number one thing in an emergency - get gasoline... when the wind blows the power out, fuel pumps don't work.... we had our huge blow in 2006; and the lack of fuel was the damnable bit. Most generators burn at least 5 gallons of gas per day; so figure how long your longest outage was, then buy that much fuel...

next time, I fill up a car; get a fuel for the chainsaw.... then samsonite it until the power comes back on.... for me, it was boring because I was prepared; but it also was boring :D
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X