Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Viruses on the Way

Isn't technology just grand. :

Researchers at the University of South Carolina and Rutgers University tested two tire pressure monitoring systems and found the security to be lacking. They were able to turn the low-tire-pressure warning lights on and off from another car traveling at highway speeds from 40 meters (120 feet) away and using low-cost equipment.

"While spoofing low-tire-pressure readings does not appear to be critical at first, it will lead to a dashboard warning and will likely cause the driver to pull over and inspect the tire," said the report (PDF). "This presents ample opportunities for mischief and criminal activities, if past experience is any indication."
    Another report in May highlighted other risks with the increased use of computers coordinated via internal car networks. Researchers from the University of Washington and University of California, San Diego, tested how easy it would be to compromise a system by connecting a laptop to the onboard diagnostics port that they then wirelessly controlled via a second laptop in another car. Thus, they were able to remotely lock the brakes and the engine, change the speedometer display, as well as turn on the radio and the heat and honk the horn.
    CNET is the world's leader in tech product reviews, news, prices, videos, forums, how-tos and more.

Re: Car Viruses on the Way

Cool .... I'll keep my old cars thank you.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

That concept is one thing that really rattles me about newer cars. My conspiracy theory side just bristles at the thought of being tracked, remote controlled, or otherwise mothered. Old cars.... mechanical steering... mechanically controlled brakes. That's the way for me.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Before long, you'll just receive a speeding ticket in the mail ....
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
          Before long, you'll just receive a speeding ticket in the mail ....
          u haven't rented a car lately,

Comment

I will not buy another car built after 1974.

But, maybe a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by horsewidower
              I will not buy another car built after 1974.

But, maybe a truck.
              if I could find a old lady/man owned 88-89 grand mark.. i'll buy it..
              they are built like a tank.. I beat the living piss out of one putting 400000 miles on it deliver'n (460 total)
              had a chevy caprice 2 door . liked that better but it died when an 18 wheeler needed to not rearend a car and used my parked car as a bumpercar..

Comment

Working...
              X