Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would you want to "show" a newer car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would you want to "show" a newer car?

Last weekend I went to a Buick Olds Pontiac show. There was some pretty cool stuff. But, I saw they were turning away some cool stuff because they were full. Meanwhile there were over a dozen late model GTO's, most of them stock. Why would you want to "show" a car that you or anyone else could've bought around the corner, at any dealer 20 minutes ago? Why do people, sometimes 20 strong, funnel into a show with a new Camaro or Challenger, when you can see one on any given day on the streets? Hey, just asking. It's NOT what I want to see at a show.
    STUGOTS

Re: Why would you want to "show" a newer car?

I wouldn't want to show a new car, hell I don't show my old cars ... I just drive 'em and race the wee outta them.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

"Look at me, the bank gave me a loan!"
      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

maybe a better question is why show a car?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
          "Look at me, the bank gave me a loan!"
          Pure Brilliance Gene!

I DON'T get it either.

I think that's where the 19XX and earlier - show rules came from - and I think that's a great idea.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
            Good question. I would rather see it driven, raced and worked on. Car shows are for individuals who pay too much for what they got and think it is the shit. To me, car show guys just want to brag about work they did not do. All bark, no bite. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrari812
              Good question. I would rather see it driven, raced and worked on. Car shows are for individuals who pay too much for what they got and think it is the shit. To me, car show guys just want to brag about work they did not do. All bark, no bite. ;)
              I too would rather race than show. But shows do have a purpose....for some anyway. I saw some really rare and cool cars that were driven many miles to the show. A beautiful copper/cream 58 Bonneville for one. I wouldn't assume to be too entertained watching it make a 20 second 1/4 mile, but it sure was nice to look at, up close and personal ;).
              STUGOTS

Comment

maybe they just want to hang out with other gto guys

Comment

jelly bean gto got killed in 06 , that is an old car in yuppie years

Comment

You know, all car shows are starting to bore me, same cars at most of the shows I go to, I'll only go to shows if I have to drive an hour anymore, at least I don't know everything at those ones
                    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I need to address 2 things...

First the OP....I have ne freaking clue and it drives me freaking nuts! i dont mind seeing them heavily modded but bone stock is silly IMHO

Second...if there were no shows or cruises then the next generation of hot rodder may never come to fruition. Not every kid sees a hot rod on the road..hell I never did as a kid. Not every kids dad goes to or watches the races all the time..mine never did. The chances of a family stumbling over a crusie or a show on a weekend is far greater IMO...they spark interest, they are a social gathering, they help people network out side the internet. Not everyone who builds a car wants to race it...not everyone who builds a car wants to drive it everyday....what better way to share their passion...
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2

If there were no shows or cruises then the next generation of hot rodder may never come to fruition. Not every kid sees a hot rod on the road..hell I never did as a kid. Not every kids dad goes to or watches the races all the time..mine never did. The chanses of a family stumbling over a crusie or a show on a weekend is far greater IMO...they spar interest, the are a social gathering, the help people network out side the internet. Not everyone who builds a car wants to race it...not everyone who builds a car wants to drive it everyday....what better way to share their passion...
                        Well put Joe.

And what does it take to show an new car? A bottle of Armourall. :-\

Comment

beat me to it. I always love these posts when the Show Car crowd starts arguing about what should be shown or not, or how a car should be classified... I thank these people for entertaining me on slow days.
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

beat me to it. I always love these posts when the Show Car crowd starts arguing about what should be shown or not, or how a car should be classified... I thank these people for entertaining me on slow days.
                            I too would rather race than show. But shows do have a purpose....for some anyway. I saw some really rare and cool cars that were driven many miles to the show. A beautiful copper/cream 58 Bonneville for one. I wouldn't assume to be too entertained watching it make a 20 second 1/4 mile, but it sure was nice to look at, up close and personal
                            STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

If all you have is a driver hondacar, then I can see you thinking this way. However.....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X