Museum Piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum Piece

A Reher-Morrison Shepherd racing exhibit has been added to the Hendrick Motorsports Museum in North Carolina. Hendrick Motorsports was a Reher-Morrison sponsor from 1984-1989. The exhibit features a replica ?84 RMS Camaro and the original RMS ?81 Camaro. Video highlights and other media coverage are also on display.

Rick Hendrick coordinated the building of a superb replica of the RMS 1984 Camaro. In 1984, Lee Shepherd drove the original 1984 Camaro to a fourth straight NHRA championship and a second consecutive IHRA championship. Like the original, the authentic replica chasis was built by Ness. It was painted in the iconic Reher-Morrison red, white, and blue based on the original design and outfitted with replica decals. The finishing touch is that Reher-Morrison meticulously restored one of their Pro Stock engines from that era.

Re: Museum Piece

Bad ass mo-fo!
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Bruce or the Camaro?
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

bruce allen looks good

Comment

So that is what my car is supposed to look like.
          Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

My favorite team from back then, only Shepherd?s passing opened the door for Glidden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mTGqpO5Opo

Comment

Huge fan of Lee Shepherd ... That car is a beauty too, I'd love to build A Nostalgia Pro Stock Car if there is such a thing.
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Lee Shepard died just as I was getting interested in drag racing. Seemed to be great driver. RMS is definitely one of the best pro stock teams of all time.

That body style of Camaro always looked good in pro stock trim!

Comment

Kinda creepy. Fasten your seat belt...!

Yeah, RMS brought interest back to Pro Stock that hadn't been there for ten years. Including mine. I wonder what happened to the original version of that car.

For sure it's bad-ass...and when we talk about days when competitive pro race cars still looked like something you could build yourself, there's a good example. Looks good without the front clip. :D

Comment

I wonder what happened to the original version of that car.

I thought it was the one he died in.

http://www.nhra.net/50th/top50/L_Shepherd12.html

"Sixteen years after his passing, the shy, slightly built driver still is remembered as a giant in the sport. From 1980 to 1984, Shepherd reached the finals in 44 of 56 NHRA national events, winning 26 of them. In 1983, he became the first driver to win both the NHRA and IHRA Pro Stock championships -- a feat he repeated the following year. He won every race on the NHRA tour at least once, compiled a 173-47 record in NHRA competition, and is still ranked fourth on the lists of all-time Pro Stock winners and finalists."

Comment

saw frank iaconio shake up Lee into a rare redlight at 83 summernationals

the guy I work with lost in the final round that year to bill walsh in TA/D

Comment

Working...
                      X