New Speeding Laws in BC - Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speeding Laws in BC - Canada

Ugh.... more of this crap - remember 40km/hr over the speed limit is only 25MPH over the speed limit. ie. 80 in a 55 zone in the US & your car is automatically impounded for minimum of 7 days & your insurance goes up by $320.00/year for THREE YEARS.... ugh.... This on top of the $368-$483 fine for the actual offence...... So... get caught speeding by 40km/hr over and it's going to cost you $1328.00 + impound fees MINIMUM

Ouch.....

B.C. speeders risk losing vehicles

Drivers caught speeding excessively in British Columbia will soon risk having their cars impounded for the offence.

Starting Sept. 20, drivers caught going more than 40 km/h over the posted speed limit will have their vehicle impounded for seven days, the provincial government announced Thursday.

"Excessive speed is often a death sentence," said B.C. Solicitor General Mike de Jong. "We want to save lives by going after the kind of driver who drives significantly and dangerously over the posted speed limit, and then get them off the road."

A driver caught committing the same speeding offence a second time will lose the vehicle for 30 days.

The penalty will be 60 days for drivers who are caught for a third time or more within a two-year period.

Additional penalties

Impoundment will be in addition to existing penalties, which include:

- A fine of $368 to $483, depending on how excessive the speed.

- Three penalty points on the driver's licence.

- An ICBC driver-risk premium of $320 a year for three years, over and above regular insurance premiums.

Street racers will also affected by the rule change. Under the new provisions, both drivers deemed to be involved in street racing will face minimum seven-day impoundments.

Street racing previously had a minimum impoundment period of 48 hours.

Additionally, the Motor Vehicle Act now makes careless acts such as excessive tailgating, and reckless driving actions such as wheelies and doughnuts subject to a seven-day impoundment, de Jong said.

Re: New Speeding Laws in BC - Canada

things are getting worse here too

freedom in short supply these days

Comment

which informs on why the crappiest drivers are the ones with BC plates on their cars.... (sorry Darryl ;D)
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
        which informs on why the crappiest drivers are the ones with BC plates on their cars.... (sorry Darryl ;D)
        Laugh it up, because they are closely followed by Washington and Oregon plates ;D It seems like everytime I come across a car going 10 under the speed limit, the vehicle has one of those three plates :'(
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
          Laugh it up, because they are closely followed by Washington and Oregon plates ;D It seems like everytime I come across a car going 10 under the speed limit, the vehicle has one of those three plates :'(
          Now that I think about it, does anyone speed in BC??? Or do you just export your slow drivers :P
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

We normally stick to mocking any drivers from Alberta or east around here ;) (flatlanders - it's like they've never seen a mountain or a freeway with curves before ;)

Let's put it this way - my normal commute is about 30 minutes on the freeway. If you are not going 125-130km/hr (25-30km over the limit) - you are going to get your ass run over........

It's more the farm roads / smaller highways were this one will be an issue, there are sections that have a speed limit of 80K, but average traffic is 110K, so you're already close to the magic 40K massive fine issue. Even worse if your on a backroad in the evening when the limit is rediculously low (as in 50K) and the road is straight for miles.... Everyone ends up doing 85-90 on those roads....

Comment

i think it's stupid to be doing 80 down a 55 any way. where i live that's way too fast with all the farmers out here and the wild life.

and also this driver was doing 80 in a 55

so yeah i actualy think it's a good idea if the guy was actualy ding 55-60mph he would never of went air born and into the barn. you want to drive fast go to a track. you don't have a track find a way to get one built in your area

Comment

hahahaha.
                if you do 80 on rt495 you'll get runover..
                same with 93,95,3,252
                I used to drive home from attleboro on 495 at 7am , it 90 I was get'n passed like I was a grandmother with a deathgrip on the wheel..

Comment

128 , they let you drive in the shoulders
                  suicide for unknowing out of towners .....massholes

Comment

Originally posted by chevy3100
                    We normally stick to mocking any drivers from Alberta or east around here ;) (flatlanders - it's like they've never seen a mountain or a freeway with curves before ;)
                    Us Albertans have seen curves before we're just to busy counting our money to pay attention to driving. By the way how is the new sales tax in B.C. or even the Provincial Sales Tax. Haha

Comment

We have some curves in Saskatchewan, I think i saw one the other day :P Seriously it is far to flat and straight where I live. I have been to Bonneville and it's got nothing on us here : :D
                      We could run the Silver State Classic here and only have 2-3 turns in it total.

Comment

It would be pretty awkward for street racers to get caught with that impound law here in Ottawa. The only street racing I've seen so far is between two bylaw officers in their marked-all-over meter maid cars. I'm proud to say the Cobalt with the orange roof lights beat the Focus with the PSA stickers by several lengths!

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                          I think I saw a cop today tapping his radar gun because he couldn't believe a red hummer could be traveling at such a rate of speed ;D I, for one, actually enjoy driving in LA... fits my style of "get out of my way or figure out how to erase hummer tracks off your car" driving
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                          X