Car junkies looking out for car junkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car junkies looking out for car junkies

I had a great idea, its a little half baked- but here goes.

As any gearhead knows, eBay motors is the greatest thing to happen to us since Gojo and Corona. The only problem with buying a classic car on eBay is often you lose the ability to see first hand what you are interested in buying. Often pictures of items we are lusting after are badly taken, conveniently vague, or theres just not not enough of them. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so seeing the item in person must be worth at least a thousand pictures. Herein lye's a problem, we can't always hop on a plane to go check out that cool fastback grandma has resting in her garage from her late husband who got the car from some guy named Carroll. For instances like this, I would like to offer my services. If anyone finds something on eBay they are interested in buying here in Dallas, I don't mind stopping by to check it out. I don't mind because I know one day I'm going to find the Belvedere Ive been dreaming of at a price that could induce cardiac arrest, but my luck is it will be in Alaska. The forums here provide a great nationwide network of knowledgeable car guys. it could go something like this-

John Doe (a member of the forum) finds a sweet 1966 ford fastback on eBay. The same one he had in college and he HAS to have it. The only problem is the car is in Detroit (a known high rust area) and John lives in Florida. Luckily John knows Frank, another member of Car Junkie Tv who decides to help out John by stopping by and laying eyes on the car himself. A couple days before, John posted a topic asking if anyone knows of common rust areas on 66 fastbacks. A list of these common areas was compiled and passed on to Frank who checks the body and passes the info onto John.
    *this is where it could go in either direction*
    John realizes that the body is a total mess and not worth the money/trouble.
    ~or~
    Frank realizes upon inspection that this fastback has a radio delete, 4speed, original rallye gauges and its listed super low cause the seller doesn't know what they have. John heeds his advice and decides a road trip is in order, and hes bringing a flat bed.

Its possible that Frank could give John bad info (he didn't look close enough or something) but if John is really interested, he should be thankful to get any additional info. Also, because Frank is not actually part of the transaction the advice wouldn't be jaded in any way (unlike asking the seller).

Maybe I'm a little optimistic and a little too trusting but it seems like nowadays the naysayers have taken over the world and comradery has been lost.

What do you guys think?

Either way I'm offering my services. I live in North Dallas and there are a lot of no rust cars here that I'm sure you northern guys would love to have easy access to. Let me know and if I'm not busy, I would love to stop in and take a look for you. I never miss the opportunity to check out a car in a barn and help bring someone their true love. Sounds like a great way to make friends and pay it forward to me.

Re: Car junkies looking out for car junkies

I like that idea. I'd be willing to go check on a car for someone on here, provided I'm not out to sea anyway. The same could be applied to junkyard runs too. I know there are some people who are lucky to have one junkyard near where they live. Where I live at, there are plenty of them. As far as money transfer goes, you could use PayPal or something like that. The parts puller could provide the receipt from the yard and the receipt for shipping as proof of what they actually paid so there's no gouging of the price or anything like that. Of course, alot of this is based on trust.

Comment

I've done it a few times for people, so why not here.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

You are absolutly right shipmate, a lot of this IS based on trust. That's the only scary part, but the good news is i dont think con-men waste their time on hot rod parts, theres not enough profit margin. (ive seen matchstick men)

Its funny you should mention the junkyard thing (they will always be junkyards to me, i dont care if salvage yard is the proper nomenclature) that is an avenue i had not considered. There is a junkyard about 30 minutes from here that only deals with vintage cars. i dabble in photography and sometimes go there just to shoot pictures. ill try to see if they have a website.

Comment

I think it's reasonable to ask for someone to look at a car for you...wouldn't hurt to offer some $$$, but also it would be reasonable for the looker to turn down the $$$ and do it for free

so if anyone needs a car looked at in southeast AZ, let me know....just as long as you don't plan on sending it up north!
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That happens all the time on Team Camaro. Usually a guy will ask if anyone is close to a location where the car is and someone will chime in and volunteer to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              I think it's reasonable to ask for someone to look at a car for you...wouldn't hurt to offer some $$$, but also it would be reasonable for the looker to turn down the $$$ and do it for free

so if anyone needs a car looked at in southeast AZ, let me know....just as long as you don't plan on sending it up north!
              About the only thing I could really see taking money for is maybe gas money. That would depend on how far they have to drive to look at a car for them. You have to admit most of our rides don't get that great of gas mileage, and places like California have insane gas prices.

Comment

I dont mind sending cars north. Provided they have a warm garage and enough common sense not to drive in the snow/salt.

I found that salvage yard i was talking about. Its insane the amount of random ass odd ball cars they have. Here is a post on another forum with a whole bunch of pictures of what im talking about

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothr...ostid=43259482

Last time i was there he had a beeeeautiful barracuda that had just been freshly painted. that was about the only thing on the car too. all the windows and interior were in a heap inside. The guy said it had a built stroker motor, i cant remember how much he told me for it but i remember thinking it was less than the price of a blackmarket kidney. Then i started wondering if i really needed two kidneys anyways.

Comment

there's a junkyard in Huachuca City, which is just north of Sierra Vista and Ft huachuca, owned by a 90 year old geezer....a real space case he is...anyways about 20 years ago the editor and publisher of hrm (and I think Keith Black) came to town and got a tour of the place and there was a writeup in the magazine. We've driven by that place hundreds of times...knowing that the guy who owns all that gold is a total jackass and you can't even talk to him.

We figure in another ten or twenty years he'll kick the bucket and his grumpy old daughter will sell everything...or not....

My fabulous web page

Comment

Anyone looking at anything in northeast Kansas let me know.I bought my RoadRunner from out on Long Island New York off of E-Bay.The guy answered all my questions so I bought it.While waiting for it to be shipped I remembered I forgot to ask about floor pans,trunk pan.Then I panicked.I got lucky as the bottom of the car was as good as the rest of the car.Whew!

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
                      I remembered I forgot to ask about floor pans,trunk pan.Then I panicked.I got lucky as the bottom of the car was as good as the rest of the car.Whew!
                      Exactly the scare i try to avoid.

Also, i found the official website for that junkyard.
                      CTC Auto ranch.
                      http://www.ctcautoranch.com/index.html
                      That place is heaven. I take dates there.

unfortunatly, it doesnt get me laid.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinSuhas
                        That place is heaven. I take dates there.

unfortunatly, it doesnt get me laid.
                        ROFLMAO! That's funny! My wife has gearhead tendencies, but if I took her to the junkyard for a date, I'd be cut off! ;D

Comment

Is that along the lines of getting the wife a vacuum for your anniversary?
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 67rs/ss
                            That happens all the time on Team Camaro. Usually a guy will ask if anyone is close to a location where the car is and someone will chime in and volunteer to help out.
                            I may have to call on you when shoping for a jet boat. I really want one, and AZ seems to have any and all that are left. I really want a classic carrera

Comment

what part of the state are all these jet boats hiding?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X