Just blew my trans on the 1320...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just blew my trans on the 1320...

I spent the last month doing a bunch of repairs on my Crown Vic and I finally got it back on the road last Monday. I drove it around all week and everything seemed to be working well. This evening I went to go check out a local drifting meet because one of my buddies was going to be running tonight.

At the track, there was also a 1/4 mile drag strip. I figured since the car was running well, I'd like to see if I could improve on my best of a 15.9@88mph. Made one pass at 16.0@86mph. Made a second pass, the car pulled hard all the way till the end. As soon as I went through the traps I hear a sudden clunk from beneath the floorboards and then a bunch of vibration follows. I click the car into neutral, slam the brakes and pull over to the side. I get out and see this...

I guess I can cross oiling down a drag strip with ATF off my to-do list.

Well see, now there's your problem - you seem to be missing the tail shaft housing.

Oh, here it is (thanks to the track officials for picking it up).

Luckily I am a CAA Plus member, so I got my free towing home.

I am not happy.

Still made sure to leak ATF all over the flatbed, too.

I have no idea what I'm going to do at this point. I bought this car in May and I have spent a ton of money and countless hours wrenching on it. I had a busy summer with work so I didn't get to update my project thread, but I've managed to go through most of the car.

Following along with milner351's Power Stroke struggle, Remy's WarHammer build, along with TheSilverBuick's and Rebeldryver's engine rebuilds definitely ensures that I'm not alone in my mechanical struggles.

I've got the car stashed at a neighbour's driveway because with the trans gone, I don't feel safe leaving it in my own inclined parking space at my apartment. It's got to leave my neighbour's house tomorrow because he's having his driveway redone and I'm not sure what I'll do. I may call in some favours to see if I can stash the car somewhere else or I may just call it quits.

This car has fought me hard at each and every step... just sharing my plight as many of you have.

Re: Just blew my trans on the 1320...

That sucks, Looks like it's the classic rear bushing failure from no lube,bushing wears the yoke starts to wobble,tail housing cracks...well you know the rest.

Comment

time for a glide
      sorry dude it died with honor on the battlefield

Comment

Yeah, it definitely died with it's boots on!

I guess it's time to price used transmisions? or maybe just put on a new tailhousing and see how it does, which would be the cheapest way out.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

You're not alone with your Crown Vic issues. CC's John McGann blew his in the '04 he has. He also shot a spark plug out of the head taking the threads with it. Neither are cheap fixes.

Stick in your driveway and chock the wheels to keep it from rolling. Don't forget the E brake. Used tranny's must be pretty plentiful for those cars. Check around.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have never heard or seen of this error.. especially in a stiffer bodied p71...

although, I have never seen a split drive shaft setup with a center carrier crack its own tunnel in 3 places until last week...and it was far from a hot rod...

must be planet earth going through a change. Yes. That is the answer.

I hope you keep the p71.. problems and fixes are in everything. :D
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Yeah that suck's royal. As mentioned, at least it died on the track.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

wow in all my time servesing fleet cars (p71) i have never seen that ever.

only thing i can guess at is flaw in the case casting? you could probably find a case cheap then swap over the guts. the civy tans uses the same case. not sure how close they are internaly as we do not rebuild them any more sd it's cheaper to just R&R

Comment

may have had a u joint go bad.....

Comment

But what'd you run on the 2nd pass?

Comment

Nice oil down on the track.
                      Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Originally posted by Darren N.
                        I've got the car stashed at a neighbour's driveway ...
                        Not bad for one nights outing .... oiling down a drag strip, a flatbed and your neighbor's driveway.
                        Keep us posted.
                        :-\

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          You're not alone with your Crown Vic issues. CC's John McGann blew his in the '04 he has. He also shot a spark plug out of the head taking the threads with it. Neither are cheap fixes.

Stick in your driveway and chock the wheels to keep it from rolling. Don't forget the E brake. Used tranny's must be pretty plentiful for those cars. Check around.
                          actually the spark plug fix we get an hour plus parts at work I see them alot trucks I get 1.5 lol common

sorry to hear ya broke it but now you can upgrade or try a tailshaft housing and see what happens like the guys said
                          good luck

Comment

Originally posted by moparmaniac07
                            But what'd you run on the 2nd pass?
                            ;D

It certainly felt like my best pass yet but I didn't get my timeslip nor did I catch a view of the clocks, lol. I'm slightly miffed that I did't get to find out.

As my neighbour put it, "She really gave you all she had [on that second pass]." :D

As much as this sucks, at least the trans gave out in the shutdown area and not while overtaking a semi on the highway :-X .

I'm not sure what exactly went wrong. I replaced both u-joints earlier this summer. The one directly behind the trans was totally finished, maybe it being loose for too long caused the tail shaft bushing to fail?

I'm going to push the car the few blocks back to my apartment with mom's Caravan. As Reb mentioned, putting on the parking brake with wheel chocks would be the safest bet. However, I still haven't redone my brakes so my parking brake isn't working (I've got all my new pads and rotors in their Rock Auto boxes in my bedroom, lol).

I'd like to keep the car because frankly, I can't afford to buy anything else and selling it for next to nothing would be a horrible waste of effort. I'll have to leave it parked up for the next little while because I just returned to university full time and my tuition's due! :D

I'm not sure how I'll tackle this fiasco yet. I'll I have think it out and plan it well. However, there seems to be a strange voice in my head reminding me that the new 5.0L DOHC mod motors should be accumulating in the 'yards soon... and maybe I could find a used T-56, too. I think at the very least I'll give Lentech a call over in Richmond, Ontario to find out what a decent 4R70W rebuild will cost. As tempting as it is to stuff in a used trans, I'd feel a lot better if I had the unit rebuilt first... don't want a another grenade.

Originally posted by White Monster
                            Originally posted by Darren N.
                            I've got the car stashed at a neighbour's driveway ...
                            Not bad for one nights outing .... oiling down a drag strip, a flatbed and your neighbor's driveway.
                            Keep us posted.
                            :-\
                            You can also add: riding shotgun in my buddy's Corolla on the drift circuit, that was a hella fun. He is quite a damn good driver, I'll see if I can get some pics from his brother.

Thanks guys for all the words of encouragement and for enjoying the mechanical malarkey that each of our first cars undoubtedly was (or is, in my case). :D

Comment

There's a 99 Crown Vic at the yard. I intend on heading there tomorrow. Provided the engine and transmission are still there, I could grab the tailshaft housing for you. It'll cost about 40 bucks. Anything else you need?

And for the rest of the BSers. Know any other good candidate cars/trucks I could look under for said tailshaft housing just in case it is gone?

Comment

Working...
                              X