Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saber saw blade ?

O.k.
    I have a nice grant walnut wheel.. and I'm building the gauge panel for the c-10 (1971)
    use'n a conovans panel(blank) and a 1/4" birch sanded plywood to go into the plastic conovans panel and stain to match the wheel(I hope)
    what blade would be the best to cut this without splintering the edge..
    I know I'll have to go slow. but what type of blade, count,coated???
    a bandsaw would be ideal ,but.. not in the cards..
    hand rubbing theclear lacour (sp?) and the sanding will be labor ous enough

Re: saber saw blade ?

fine tooth, try different speeds, light cutting pressure, and saw it from the back so the front does not get splintered. saber saw cuts on the up stroke.

practice on scrap wood first.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

thanks.. I couldn't remember if it cut on the down or up..
      don't use it much..

Comment

Might not be a bad idea to tape the front side to keep and splinters in place. Also keeps scratches to a minimum. Let the saw do the work, too slow and it will burn, too fast and you might break the blade and the whole thing goes in the wrong direction.
        Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

Fine tooth blades.
          Tape works great
          And you can also buy blades with a up or down stroke its in the blade not the saw

Comment

Howza bout one of these ?

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
              I have one of those,, that work.. have to see if the woodworking tool place around the corner has blades, as I've never see then at cape cod lumber or h/d or lowes..

Comment

Clamp it between 2 pieces of thicker wood.
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Saw blade? Heck, use a torch with a wood-cutting tip.

Wait, I knew there was a reason I don't work on stuff.

Now, if I could only find my big-ass hammer. I can't remember what I beat on last with it...it's gotta be here somewhere.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

PeeWee you work like my distant family, they didnt have a saw so they cocked the 2x4 on a block and put the other end on the ground, and then drove the truck over it until it broke, took a while to perfect the process, they kept coming up short. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
                      PeeWee you work like my distant family, they didnt have a saw so they cocked the 2x4 on a block and put the other end on the ground, and then drove the truck over it until it broke, took a while to perfect the process, they kept coming up short. ;D
                      I learned a long, long time ago, there's a HUGE difference between working on something and fixing it.
                      Let personal injury not even play a role in that ultimate decision.

These days, I just pay the man. "Hello, Repair Service? Do you fix shit? Well, I need some shit fixed. When can you get here?"

"Hey, you missed a spot" (another beer top pops). Now, that's the safest way to go with me, at least.

pw
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Ideally you use a router with a guide but in this case they make jig blades with a down cut. Basically the teeth are reversed to cut on the down stroke. You have to lock the saw out of oscillation mode (Most better saws have a fancy lever if oscillation is a option). If you cant find a down cut blade they make fine cabinet blades that are serenaded to cut in both directions. Tape is a good idea to protect the work surface. Watch out when removing the tape the walnut likes to chip. If it does don't freak out, the chip is easy enough to glue back to the laminate.

Steve
                        Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

If you have access to a scroll saw, that's the ticket ..... they do very fine detail work.
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Cut from the back and tape as suggested - then use a router to give you a nice radiused edge, sand sand sand, urethane sand urethane sand urethane sand urethane sand....
                            you get the idea. :D
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I will sand with my dads 24" air board ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X