Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydraulically-powered exoskeleton being deployed in Afganistan, today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulically-powered exoskeleton being deployed in Afganistan, today.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I want my Phaser now, please. and my flying car dammit.
    Truthfully - i dun seen that there Terminator movie... I know what's comin'. :-\
    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Re: Hydraulically-powered exoskeleton being deployed in Afganistan, today.

The troops shown wearing that thing sure didnt look like they were walking smoothly or even with a natural gate...

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I want my Phaser now, please. and my flying car dammit.
      Truthfully - i dun seen that there Terminator movie... I know what's comin'. :-\
      ditto and I don't like it, I do not like it one itsy bitsy bit.

Comment

It kind of reminds me of the loader in Aliens.
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C
          It kind of reminds me of the loader in Aliens.
          Glad to know I wasn't the only one thinking it. And I love the claim about reducing back injury....the injuries come from two sources: body armor/kit with ammo and plates and the 130+lb. rucksack. And there isn't anything, as far as I can see, that the HULC does to change that. In my mind, this thing truly was a waste of f***ing time.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

just another experiment put upon men with actual functions in the first place.. they like throwing that stuff at the military.

like a plastic m-16.

???

of course that gadget is going to fail.. when it decides to be a helper at anothewr pace beyond the soldier...snap... there goes a muscle or bone that coulda carried it like a man in the first place.. on his own.

to see the asian face speaking up for it... call it an old school relapse, or call me an underhood subaru mechanic.. either way.. I do not like seeing it.

ya wanna hear a strange story?

it is gadget related.

I do not dream, nevermind nightmares.. I awoke hearing myself yelp.. as if away from myself... sweating a cold sweat.. I could taste frosting from a cake.. I knew I should have listend to mom. Never eat sweets that much and go to sleep...my hand .. it inadvertantly , nearly subconsciously reached over to the mechanical dial on my a/c and turned it on...I went back to sleep. :

I love that mechanical a/c....
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Um....ok.

Don't exactly knock the -16. Not the greatest, I'll admit, but it'll get the damn job done, esp. the M-4 variant.
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

the peacetime uses of that could be pretty amazing as well.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Alright, call me naive, but I the whole the world taken over by technology thing isn't going to happen. Things like this are a great thing. Sure, maybe the soldier who is wearing that doesn't have a perfectly normal gait. But I think his gait looks ok for someone who is carrying a light machine gun, wearing a full body armor and carrying a ruck.

Maybe it does seem like a waste of time and money now. But that same thing could have been said for the development of modern transportation, modern firearms, and computers. Things have to start somewhere.

Comment

Cool now we can get all those guys in wheelchairs out on the front lines. ;)

Then there is the problem with the soldier actually staying in his best physical shape, as this invention is going to do nothing for building leg muscles.

They are headed in the right direction. They just need to build the rest of it, the rest of it being a 15 foot tall robot that the soldier rides in. ;)

Like my buddy that just got back from Afghanistan said, everyone over there is a bunch of idiots, except for the special forces guys. I got real low down on the Jessica Lynch and Pat Tillman stories. And yes they were both dumb. :

Comment

It seems to me (2cents).... that this tech is going to progress to the same result as the UAV's have. That is the elimination of the soldier. or pilot, in the case of UAV's.

The UN would probably PHREEK out if we deployed fully autonomous robots. I think that just as soon as they can get the tech reliable enough to actually perform for extended periods... the 'operator' will be eliminated and then substituted with what UAV's have now, a camera (sensor suite). It takes a while for folks to acclimate to stuff like this....

I predict this tech will very soon evolve into a 'transportation device' that still contains a soldier/operator/repairtech, but will be so covered with panelling/armouring that you won't be able to tell if it contains an actual person......and then folks will look at it and see that nothing has changed about the device, even though, the Human Element has left the theatre.

War is ugly and vile. I worry about the removal of the Human Element and the sole reliance on 'sensor suite programming parameters'. It's not just "Garbage in - Garbage out!"..... it's "Garbage in - Inoccents die!" :-\
                      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

how about making a item that can detect the road side bomb..
                        not a robot..
                        great hytech, that worked for the what first 30 days of the war, and we are being made fools of by the lowtech..
                        wake up. if they build one with no human in the unit, a hacker will figure out how to win control of the unit. and , the end

Comment

Working...
                        X