Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

underpowered rusty lawn tractor.... what to do with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• underpowered rusty lawn tractor.... what to do with it?

Well
    Here she is - came with the house. Steering is pretty loose, front wheel "bearings" are loose... deck and blades are pretty worn.
    Carb could use a cleaning, I'm sure it's past due for an oil change, and it's definitely in need of a battery... attempting to charge it recently resulted in heat, and really foul smelling steam errupting from the battery case vents.

Assuming I spend the time to get it running again - it should move under it's own power as it did when I parked it - but mowing with it really isn't an appealing option.

Thoughts I've had so far have included the following - please give me some more ideas.... least appealing but easiest
    of which would be to scrap it!

First off I'd say remove mower deck and put it in the scrap pile...then what?

build brackets to install this free snow blade and plow with it?

likely not a great option with only 11hp and my fat self riding on it - won't leave much pushing power for moving snow

Remove the engine and use it to power a home built beastly pressure washer (already have one but it's weakish)
    (requires buying a pump, valve, hoses, etc)

Remove engine and use it to power a home built log splitter?
    (I have some steel, some wheels and tires, but would need to buy pump, engine coupling, tank, hoses, control valve and cylinder, wedge, plus design it all to work together.)

what say you?
    There's always something new to learn.

Re: underpowered rusty lawn tractor.... what to do with it?

lawn mower racing?
    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Nitrous or Nitro and one glorified run across the yard until BOOM! With someone recording for YouTube. Be sure to preface it with a "Hold my beer and watch this" ;D Of course you got to get it running first....
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I'm leaning toward the log splitter idea.... since I used to have access to a big one, now I only have access to a smaller one - and I'm not real patient!

one of these coupled to the 11hp should move some timber....
        Warehouse distributor for many top name manufacturers. Parker Hydraulics, Hypro Pumps, Prince Hydraulics. Direct from the factory. Surplus equipment. We buy large quantities of manufacturer's surplus or excess stock.

or I could step up to this one:
        Warehouse distributor for many top name manufacturers. Parker Hydraulics, Hypro Pumps, Prince Hydraulics. Direct from the factory. Surplus equipment. We buy large quantities of manufacturer's surplus or excess stock.

damned - the control valves are as much as some of the cylinders:
        this one if I want to get fancy:
        2 Spool 25 GPM Prince Log Splitter/Lifter Valve RD522CCEA5A4B1, Directional Control Valves, 2 SPOOL 25 GPM PRINCE LOG SPLITTER/LIFTER VALVE, BrandPrince Mfg,RD522CCEA5A4B1 ,

this one if I want to be cheap and give up the dream of a log lifter:
        1 Spool 25 GPM Dynamic Log Splitter Valve w/Auto Detent JPLS-3000 LS255NBA43, Directional Control Valves, 1 SPOOL 25 GPM LOG SPLITTER VALVE W/AUTODynamic,JPLS-3000 LS255NBA43,

Then to the business end of it:

or:

remember those I beams I picked up in Indy? I could use a section of one of them for the frame of this thing.... God help me if I ever come up on a log that could bend one of those monsters!

Comment

It definetely needs a hayabusa engine..or a R1 ;D

Comment

Randal,
            I think John ignored yours and my suggestion... :D.

OK John
            A nitro log splitter!
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Lawnmower demo derby ;D
              Who needs sugar and spice and everything nice? I'm a Southern girl - give me cars, guns and whiskey on ice. ~Mrs. Remy-Z

Comment

Looks like a mobile ground-hog weapon to me..... ;D
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Lawnmower demo derby or racing - sounds fun.... so does putting nitro through this poor old thing.

We'll see....

I'm starting to like the idea of "using what I have around" to build a splitter that fits our needs and isn't underpowered and slow like the one we have access to now.

Course - what I really need is another project! :

Comment

From a historical standpoint, I think Ward Cleaver bought one of those after Beaver and Wally moved out. (That's what my dear old dad did, bought a rider the DAY I moved out of the house - that DAY. Heck, he wasn't pushing that big ole yard, no way, now that the last of the, uhh, kids are gone away.)

Closer analysis of those photos makes me pretty sure that may be the very ONE Ward Cleaver bought. So, now I'm thinking Pawn Stars or Pickers. If you can prove that used to be Ward Cleaver's lawnmower, I'm thinking maybe $25 or $30 thousand with the right collector-buyer.

Other than that, my imagination goes blank as to "opportunities..."

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

This is coming from a father of a 10 year old wrecking machine, save it for Lee. I know it seems light years away but, he'll be ready for lawn laps before you know it. Cam drove our lawn tractor at three, and still prefers a rider mower over a quad, minibike, etc, not sure why. It's a great way for young kids to learn the clutch brake wheel turning leasons for later in life.
                      Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo
                        lawn mower racing?

Great minds think a like, that's exactly what I was thinking ;D
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Don't you have a 302 and AOD in an old van? Make it fit!!
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

More votes for lawn mower racing and or using lacquer thinner as a engine fuel, also remove the muffler and governor . use a straight piece of pipe for the exhaust. Watch it Glow and Blow

Comment

I was sure Jeremy was going to back me on the log splitter idea - but - saving it for Lee isn't a bad idea either....

Sure - a 302/aod lawn tractor - that's for when Lee gets a little older! 8)

Jeremy if I do get it running I may put you on speed dial... I don't know these small engines anywhere near as well as you do!

keep in mind - I'm picking up a 16hp 42" for a song from the old tenant - to be used by the new tenant - so there will still be a tractor in my life that is fully functional.

(no votes for the log splitter? damned)

Peewee - you need to keep writing songs - that imagination of yours is a wonderful thing.

"Ward Cleavers first lawn tractor - own a piece of TV history!" reserve set at a low low low $999.99! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X