Work alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work alone?

How many of you actually work alone most the time?

After reading the thread about pulling an engine I got to wondering... Am I the only one that works alone "most" of the time?

Freinds come over on weekends or at the drop of a hat if I call for a hand... But for the most part... I meander down to the shop Early in the morning when I'm working on a project and work all day never hearing the sound of anothers voice. ( trust me it's not all bad ... )

K

Re: Work alone?

Depends on what I'm doing. If I'm pulling an engine or dropping a tranny, I like to have help for safety reasons. Otherwise, I kinda like the solitude. That's one of the reasons I like to roam the junkyard. Believe it or not, I can go there and not actually buy anything. However, I do keep a toolbag in the back of the Tahoe just in case I find something that I have to have right now...

Comment

I work alone most of the time aswell.
      I only need some help once in a while when a car of mine needs to be pushed into the carlift for instance, but since I've got an electric winch now I'm pretty much self supporting ;D
      A friend of mine is around once a month to fumble on his own car, but that's about it.
      Occassionally some other friends drop by, but the day usually ends in drinking coffee and talk non-sense all the time... Oh well, that's also a part of the hobby ofcourse. ;)

Safety is thing to think of indeed. I never really take chances when I'm alone in the garage. But I do always carry my cellphone in my pocket. I only hope I can reach for it when something bad would happen.

I have no problem working alone but I think it would be more fun working with a few guys on a car... as long as they're really helpfull that is, and not cause more harm than good.
      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I guess I would also say I work alone "most" of the time. Only when I really need the help will I ask, and I would already have tried to figure out how to do it by myself. When I'm working on a friends car is an exception. I enjoy my friends and like to have them over but when that happens I usually don't get much done. With my busy schedule I just don't have that many hours to spend on my hobbies. And I couldn't agree more Turk (not all that bad)

Comment

Couldn't have said it better John... I too work alone 99.99% of the time, so if I do ever need anything I have to resort to my wife... I could ask one of my neighbors but then again, nothing would ever get done... That's why I work with my garage door shut most of the time too! LOL

Comment

It's looking like the standard MO is working alone. I too generally work on my own (99.9%) unless I'm pulling/setting in an engine or transmission and the extra set of eyes is helpful or need a person to man the engine hoist.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Unless you actually consider mike, help, I always work alone... Afterall he is trying to kill me....

Comment

I usually work alone also. I find that when I am working with somebody else, we are usually two people working alone in the same shop, unless more than two hands are needed, setting bodies on a frame, engines & trans in place etc.

Comment

Most of the time I work alone. Teenagers used to help but with one away at school and one working evenings at the firehouse help is usually non-existant. I have to plan ahead to pull a motor.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedZealot
                    Unless you actually consider mike, help, I always work alone... Afterall he is trying to kill me....

(Dave) Hey mike are you coming to the shop tonight to help work on the Camaro?
                    (Mike) Yep be their right after work!!!!!

I usually ended up working by myself while dave HELPED himself to a cold drink and Cupid.com for hours!!!!

I actually perfer working by myself unless its a group project such as the camaro. Then a second opinion is always good because Im not the only one that has to drive the thing.

Comment

I work alone in my shop. After working at a dealership for years and years it is good to work alone, no whining and complaining about who makes more money or who got the gravy job. I primarily work on Powerstrokes and Cummins in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Anything from minor repairs to engine swaps.

Comment

I'm also a loaner when I am wrenching, but I have a retired neighbor who comes by every hour to gab. I volunteer him when I need an extra hand or someone to help bleed brakes.

There has been only one instance 25 years of working on cars that I have had multiple people helping me and this is it. It was 1987. That's Chad Bystrom and Jay Knowles on the cherry picker. Jay is barefoot one. Bob Leach is helping the fat kid (me) with greasy end.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have a friend that I can ask if I need some help, but most of the time I am alone
                          I just had to move all of my equipment in my garage to put a floor down
                          If I had any friends to help with that, I would not ever see them again LOL
                          Too much straining and some battlescars to prove it
                          Tom

Comment

I usually work alone, although I get help when I need it from my wife, kids, or neighbors.

A couple weeks ago I was helping a friend with his 57, another friend came over when it was time to drop the engine in, and I'll tell you it was really nice having 3 guys there, made a potentially tricky job go real smooth. And we both got lunch out of it.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I tinker with the car alone.. for larger deals I generally work with friends. Especially the ones that own lifts. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X