Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

500 mile round trip on Saturday - good ol' parts run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 mile round trip on Saturday - good ol' parts run.

And now, for minor comedy:
    Let's start this one out with the plan to take a drive to meet up with my buddy Steve who had some Torino goodies for me.

Friday night, I go and get one of my brother's trucks so I am able to drive in AC, with cruise control, and be able to run more that 60 mph without the numb vague feeling that is the joy of my '79 F150 highboy 4x4.

Saturday, loading up, right as I am making the last house-to-truck trips to get in the truck, I am wearing sandals, and walking on wet, slick long grass. I go down for the count, like I am sliding into home base on the small hill next to the front steps.
    I literally about wedged my left foot in my ass. Smashed one of the smaller toes some how and blood is flowing for a bit. Both knees felt twisted, and I swore I broke a toe. Left ankle, after I managed to remove from my ass, felt like it was turned backwards.
    I managed to let out one of those rare, pissed off "Motha.....!!!!!!"
    All the time this happened, the wife completely missed it.
    She comes out, I am on the lawn not moving, and she freaks out.
    I manage to get up, moving, and ankle ok. Foot is ok, except the one small toe next to the big gun.
    Nothing a little neosporin, heavy duty bandaid and a sh*tload of Tylenol couldn't fix.

Got in the truck, go to get on I-80 westbound and down, driving from Omaha, Nebraska to the Cozad, Nebraska exit, around 250 miles, including a delay/detour because the interstate was at a stand still by the exit for the town of Ashville {damn Husker football... 4 miles of I-80 went from 85 mph to ZERO for a 4 mile stretch. Had to detour onto the old 2 lane blacktop highway 6 to bypass the college football traffic.
    Left at 9:30am from the house, and with the detour, I manage to do 250 miles and get to the meeting point around 1pm.
    Met up with my buddy Steve, we had lunch, and I loaded up the Torino parts, and headed back around 2.
    Made Omaha around 6:30pm, including a stop for gas, and man, of all things, I had to pull off and take a 20 minute nap :o at a rest stop outside of Lincoln...I am not even 34 yet...and I can't handle 500 miles without a nap. :-\

All in the name of moving some '72-'76 Torino parts. At least I didn't have to mess with unloading a parts car this time.

Andy
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: 500 mile round trip on Saturday - good ol' parts run.

:D I love these roadtrip stories...nice to see someone else's. Glad to hear you didn't jack yourself up too badly.
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Naps are an important part of a 30-something's lifestyle :D

I know plenty of people that make regular day trips of 500 miles, Salt Lake and Las Vegas are both 250 miles out or town.

Hope the foot is ok.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

And people wonder why I don't wear flip flops. :

And, you should've known about the Cornhusker traffic.

Glad your foot was OK after your big toe procto.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Just got done with the post from hell. Killing that '73 Gran Torino Sport after the guy I sold it to could not afford to pay shipping, and I am just done screwing with it, date with a sawzall really damn quick like.

Should just haul it to the you pull it, like I threatened to...but too many parts this pile is worth more cut up than cobbled back together.
          Can't save them all, but would have been mullet-tastic as a rough ass driver with a boneyard 460 and a F250 5 speed.

As far as my body, damn knees, both of them, numb feeling at times.
          my legs both are sort of in pain, around my shin bone area, below the knee cap.

At least it was grass and not concrete. I can deal with being sore. At least this go around, I didn't crack all my ribs on my left side...again.
          Andrew
          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

u left out the importance stuff...........
            what you get 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              And people wonder why I don't wear flip flops. :

And, you should've known about the Cornhusker traffic.

Glad your foot was OK after your big toe procto.
              Andrew - you've lived in Nebraska your whole life and you forgot about the football traffic on a Saturday ?
              Jesus de Christo man - the stadium becomes the third largest city in the whole state on game day and you freaking forgot about it ? Wait 20 years - you could have incorporated 14 pee stops and 2 more naps on that roundtrip buddy !!
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

naps are good...

Much much MUCH better than falling asleep behind the wheel!

Some people can drive for endless hours without stopping, others, not so much, it's not about age as it is the differences between people in general.

when you're hungry - eat
                when you're tired - sleep
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                X