My rant about the Holley Tech line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My rant about the Holley Tech line

Last Thursday I sent a email to the Holley Tech line about my Weiand 142 Supercharger . The supercharger is lubed with 80/90 gear lube. It is pushing gear lube out of the snout behind the drive pulley and being fanned around the engine compartment. Obviously the longer and harder I am on it the more it leaks. I explained all that in a short but direct email,and advised the blower only has about 3000 miles of use since its installation.I filled out all the information boxes on the form and also included my home phone number. The web site advises it would take up to 48 hours for a reply. My reply came from [email protected] on Saturday and it said:"Make sure the blower is not overfilled or using synthetic gear lube. The input shaft seal is easily replaced." Thats it.
    Well no shit Sherlock! I was bright enough to buy the damn thing and install it for 3000 trouble free miles but I can't get anymore of an answer than that? No mention of seal part numbers,where to order said simply replaced seal or nothing! I kind of expected a little more in depth answer from the" Tech Line"! My reply was polite and asked for seal part numbers and installation directions along with where to purchase the seal. While I am waiting to be graced with the next big sentence of technical wisdom from
    Mr [email protected] I am wondering if I am expecting too much? Should I not be offended by the short bus answer? Any of you guys have better luck with your questions? Worse luck? Lets hear it! Thanks...Rich

Re: My rant about the Holley Tech line

heh...I just recently noticed that my BDS 6-71 is blowing oil out the front. I'm gonna take the snout off and disassemble it, look at the seal for the part number, and order a new seal, probably from my local parts store.

I learned long ago that it's much less stressfull to just fix stuff yourself, instead of trying to get help from the company that made it.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

x2
      any good parts store only needs the part # stamped on the seal

Comment

yeah , national seal always has the number on the seal ......

Comment

I don't know if I trust tech lines much anyway...it just looks good to a potential purchaser that there is one. I got some pretty awful info from the line at a particular wiring-harness company that spends a lot of money on advertising, and spent a hundred bucks on their part that turned out to be not correct for the job. Going to a local shop that had experience with my particular issue solved things.

Does your blower have a vent in the gear case? It should. Just a tiny hole out of the gear splash should help keep pressure off the seal.

Comment

MSC, Grainger, Berry Bearing, motion industries those type of places should be able to get you the seal no sweat given the seal part number.

But the point is - they should be more interested in helping a customer.

Customer service is largely dead at larger companies, period.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Here,http://www.summitracing.com/parts/WND-9593/ ?

Comment

I spent some time on the holley tech line regarding an EFI system lately, this thread is strange because I was going to post up how good I thought they were, and even if some of their EFI products are pricey IMO, they were doing a good job of putting people on the phone who were trying hard to make sure we were happy with our setup. I didn't tell them I was experienced with EFI, I pretended to be the noob just trying to get a few questions answered. They did good.
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

a lot of the good holley people opened their own shops

Comment

Thanks for the input. Here it is 11:05PM Tuesday and my reply to their question has not been answered. So I suppose I will just take it apart in a few months and find the seal locally. It is not like the job is beyond me,but my point is exactly what milner351 posted. You read all the hype in magazines,see the company's custom vehicle of the month your hard earned money helped pay for (Holley pickup in Hot Rod) and you get the brush off when you have a question.Enuff of my whining ...

Comment

HEY!! I forgot,THANK YOU to Malc for the Summit link.That is very cool.I appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by ChampTrucking
                        HEY!! I forgot,THANK YOU to Malc for the Summit link.That is very cool.I appreciate it!
                        ;D

Comment

Working...
                        X