Cheap Garage Storage Shelves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cheap Garage Storage Shelves

A $1.50 paint brush & a $6 can of redwood stain later...

Comment

you're good ... most times when I build shelves I've postponed the building to the point that I fill the shelves as I build them to get some room to build the shelves - so paint isn't a possibility...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
        you're good ... most times when I build shelves I've postponed the building to the point that I fill the shelves as I build them to get some room to build the shelves - so paint isn't a possibility...
        The garage is already messy, figured I'd at least seal them 1st.
        I'm gonna stick every car emblem I can find them. 8)

Comment

I spent the last week sorting my junk, holy crap I have a lot of Jeep, S-10 & VW parts!!!
          Here's the end result...

I built a new workbench too, I like it a lot. Think I'm gonna rebuild the bug motor on it. ;D

Comment

Figured I'd bump this thread, maybe someone needs cheap storage shelves this winter?

I rebuilt the lean to shed on the back of my garage last month & needed another storage/work area.
            Built this 8ft workbench for about $30.

Comment

I got one section of pallet racking nearly free - so I'll be using those for the heavy stuff in the new shop but they're not nearly enough storage...

What spacing are you using between the shelves - and how high are your ceilings?.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                I got one section of pallet racking nearly free - so I'll be using those for the heavy stuff in the new shop but they're not nearly enough storage...

What spacing are you using between the shelves - and how high are your ceilings?.
                It's taller then me so I'm guessing I made them 8ft tall.
                I'll take some measurements tonight.

Comment

I welded the long connectors on one pallet rack at bench high and added braces.. Then plopped 3"X10" tongue and groove planks on it.. The ends make good tool hangers with peg boards

Comment

Ok milner351, here are the dimensions..

Click image for larger version

Name:	shelf.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	869039

I cleaned the garage today & unpacked my Xmas gift from Dad, a Craftsman Air Compressor..
                    It's a loud ass rotary unit, but boy does it pump up to 150 psi's fast!

Name:	DSCN1582.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	869040

I also made a wood riser for my Kennedy tool box, works great, drawers are at waist level now.

Comment

A Kreg jig is your friend.
                      "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Getting into the online sales biz for myself.
                        Need a bench for computer repair & shipping.
                        So today I built this..

Name:	bnch1.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	870879

Name:	bnch2.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	870880

It's going in my computer room so I made sure it looked half decent..
                        I went with I-beam shelves to keep the weight down.
                        Made the bench narrow so it fits in my small computer room.

Comment

Pretty spiffy! I know trying to write with a pen on a piece of paper on top of OSB is nearly impossible. Have you considered a piece of masonite for the top of that bench? You can usually pick it up at places like ReBuild (used & recycled building materials) for next to nothing.
                          It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                            Pretty spiffy! I know trying to write with a pen on a piece of paper on top of OSB is nearly impossible. Have you considered a piece of masonite for the top of that bench? You can usually pick it up at places like ReBuild (used & recycled building materials) for next to nothing.
                            Yea I planned on covering the top with something.. dunno what yet though!
                            At least the hard parts done & I have the bench I need.
                            I slobbed some paint on to seal the OSB & make it look nice of course. (the wife approves)
                            I'll get a pic or two when it's all perdy.

Comment

MDF is usually the best value for something that has a hard smooth surface.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                                Yea I planned on covering the top with something.. dunno what yet though!
                                At least the hard parts done & I have the bench I need.
                                I slobbed some paint on to seal the OSB & make it look nice of course. (the wife approves)
                                I'll get a pic or two when it's all perdy.
                                If you're doing computer repair on it, why not get a piece of metal cut to size, then glue it down on the top of it, that way you can
                                1. easily keep it clean
                                2. ground it and yourself to it to prevent ESD.

Do it as if it were a piece of formica on a counter - youtube for tips on how (contact cement and wooden dowels).

Comment

Working...
                                X