Cheap Garage Storage Shelves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Garage Storage Shelves

I needed 4 cheap & durable garage storage shelves for my narrow garage walls, approx 16"-20"w, 4' - 6' L, 6' tall max.
    The stuff I found was either worthless crap, or way overpriced. I only need general junk parts storage, nothing fancy...
    I did a lot of research on this subject,.. Here's what I found:

Harbor Freight had these gems for $59.99...
    It's near empty & it's already exceeded it's capacity. :D
    Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

This fine wire rack shelf is $99 at Home Depot.
    Not a bad price, shelving itself is strong, BUT...
    It uses those crap plastic retainers that FAIL! :-[

You can get these for $173 from Wallymort...
    They are sturdy, but damn expensive, about $700+ for 4! :-\
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Edsal-Manufacturing-Industrial-Steel-Shelving-5-Shelves-48w-x-24d-x-72h-Gray/14873508

I'd had enough, so I googled 'homemade shelves', & in a matter of seconds I found the perfect shelving. :o
    Good old motherearthnews.com had plans for these...
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/Hands...e-Shelves.aspx <<<PLANS! WOOT!!!

So tonite, I built my own...

This is the 1st of 4, they cost $35 a pop to make, they're strong as hell, & there's enough room to fit bare motor blocks, transmissions, heads, etc on them. 8)
    I'm gonna throw a cheap coat of paint on them & start filling them with crap asap! :D
    I hope this helps those of you who are looking for cheap storage. ;)

Re: Cheap Garage Storage Shelves

How much shipped to my door? ;D

Nice job! We make shelves that way in seacan's to store rock core and pulps, definately sturdy.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

nice shelves.... very value priced....

although, those wire shelves with the plastic sleeves are stronger then you might imagine if you put them together correctly...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
        How much shipped to my door? ;D

Nice job! We make shelves that way in seacan's to store rock core and pulps, definately sturdy.
        Shipping is calculated by zip code, oversize parcel fees apply. :D
        Thank man, I like the DIY stuff a lot. You save tons of cash & it's all made in America!

Originally posted by Buickguy
        nice shelves.... very value priced....

although, those wire shelves with the plastic sleeves are stronger then you might imagine if you put them together correctly...
        If you pay up & buy the right ones, yea, they are very strong.
        My friend had a couple of the home depot style shelves in his garage.
        The retainers failed, the shelves collapsed, ruining parts, & scratching up a car. ???

Comment

edsal makes nice shelves!

I have a bunch of wood shelves I built, they still work after 20 years.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Don't use drywall screws to hold the shelves to the legs... pay a few more bucks for a box of decent screws.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu
              Don't use drywall screws to hold the shelves to the legs... pay a few more bucks for a box of decent screws.
              Tree'd me.

If you want to take it up a notch for storing heavy stuff, use 4x4 for the collumns and notch / dado them to capture the shelf, then use a carriage bolt to hold them together at each corner.

nice work - rarely is it ever cheaper to buy when you can build. I'm not sure how well OSB takes paint, we used polyurethane on a friends shelves/benches we built years ago - I think three coats - and so far they are holding up like champs. OSB will swell up and deteriorate if it gets wet before it's sealed.

DIY rules. Too bad OSB is back up over $10 a 4x8 sheet.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

nice..

Comment

ack! it's so hard to find decent screws anymore - I started ordering all mine online from McFeely's. That place is awesome.
                  www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I paid $33 for a box of 50 6" timberlock screws last week - for holding together a retaining wall of treated 4x4s.

they sure work nice, and they damned well better at that price!
                    btw those rechargeable impact driver things are the shiznit for long screws!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                      ack! it's so hard to find decent screws anymore - I started ordering all mine online from McFeely's. That place is awesome.
                      I used quality bulk screws from Carter Lumber. They're an 1/8" thick(or better) at the root of the threads.
                      I tried breaking one with a hammer. It bent a little, but didn't didn't break like drywall screws do...

Comment

you woodpounder guys and your dados.... simpler yet is run 2x4s between the shelves and screw them to the uprights ;)

what's a shiznit? ;D
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                          you woodpounder guys and your dados.... simpler yet is run 2x4s between the shelves and screw them to the uprights ;)
                          x2, and cheaper too, at least where I have to purchase lumber.

what's a shiznit? ;D
                          kinda like a troll but fatter
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

what's a shiznit? ;D
                            kinda like a troll but fatter

Comment

I prefer this definition:
                              shiznit
                              1) the best; 2) the greatest, in a certain category or universally; 3) gaddam' phenomenal, bi-atch!

I suggested the "notch and fit" method using treated 4x4 uprights simply as a way to take this design up a notch for those of us that tend to store such things as engine blocks, heads, and cranks on a shelf such as these....

2x4 uprights are just fine, for most things.

Comment

Working...
                              X