Thinking of getting a CDL-A with pass endorcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of getting a CDL-A with pass endorcement

Sort of toying with the idea. As I have mentioned in the past we want to move from NJ to a semi-rural part of PA. In the past I thought this may be a good idea since just about any trades type of work would probably have some sort of truck requiring a CDL. Since the part of PA where we have a house, is Wyoming county. This part of PA is heavily into a boom time with the discovery of one of the nation's largest natural gas deposits. Gas wells are being drilled every where with several hundred more planned to be drilled. I have thought about, perhaps a career change. Presently I'm an electrician. While I could look in this field, which I am. But typically the work is more for a younger guy. The work is 12 hours on for 14 days on, then 14 days off, I'm 54.

I'm not being romantic about the life of truck driving but there are tons of jobs in this field. They just can't get enough drivers. For each well drilled, it requires approximately 6,700 tanker loads of fresh water! That's tankers like the big gasoline tankers, not straight jobs. This is just one small part of the total infra structure of well drilling. I'm looking at it as a job, keeping my options open.

Recently I went to a job fair in the area. There was a TT training school I got info from. For a 200 hour course for the CDL-A with passenger endorsement, it would cost $4,500. They will hold your hand until you get your license unless you're a total screw up. Plus they have job placement and would be able to place you. At the job fair I spoke with a rep from Kane. They highly recommended this company, in fact Kane said they use this TT traing company to train their employees. I had asked the TT training company about my age. They said they like people in my age group because they typically are safer drivers. Again, I'm not specifically looking to become a driver but there are tons of jobs in this field. Also Kane and Penn's Best have huge depots in the area.

Comments???
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Re: Thinking of getting a CDL-A with pass endorcement

well ... I have a couple comments

We also just went thru a Nat Gas boom too , pre-Sept 2008 , At night I could look any direction and see at least 3 rigs

Its pretty flat here where I live ..

It lasted like 8 years or so , now its fizzled out pretty much, just a few dril rigs here and there going , and a few Sand cans running to frac the wells, few water trucks .. I'm sure its about 20% of what it was if that

If you want to earn a CDL .. what I would do , unless you really want to go to driving school

Sign on to drive where they train, like Swift or something ( yeah, it would suck) but, they will train for free , you earn something while you do and you can see some country but its a tough gig

Here , when the Barnett was cranking, the drivers stayed on site at night as soon as log books allowed the slip seated drivers

Its not a 8-5 gig, at least it wasn't here

Good luck with whatever you choose
    sigpic

Comment

cool video that explains the process

Northern Oil and Gas, Inc. (NYSE: NOG) is the leading non-operated working interest franchise in the premier shale basins across the United States. The foundation of the Company's success is the long-term relationships it has built in basin in…
      sigpic

Comment

I've heard a few guys tell pretty bad stories about Swift. It may be BS, but I haven't heard rave reviews.
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

when I was at the school bus garage - the drivers got 23 an hour and [what they called ] no benefits , but the drivers got the good benefits for 200 a month

Comment

all they want is , long haul , over the road , tire smoke could tell you all about it

Comment

why do you need passenger? wouldnt you just need tanker?

I have CDL and drive everyday , but what I do and how I get paid has nothing to do with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                I've heard a few guys tell pretty bad stories about Swift. It may be BS, but I haven't heard rave reviews.

Drivers, complain ..... nahhhhhh , really ?

I have worked in transportion for 35 years , No it would suck driving for one of those big carriers, just do your job and get thru the training period then find a better gig

Most carriers won't ( read: can't ) Hire anyone with less than 12 months of experiance -- insurance reasons
                sigpic

Comment

I don't know much about the natural gas boom going on, but my guess is that, after a few years, it will fizzle out. Not trying to be a negative nancy, just saying you may not want to base a career move around it. However, getting a Class A CDL is never a bad idea. Any time you broaden your job skills, it will only lead to more opportunities.

As an operations manager with 20 drivers under me, I can tell you that I look for a few years' experience and I tend to look for younger drivers (mid 20's - 40). We're doing daily delivery routes, so it is a little different than drop, hook, deliver, lather, rinse, repeat.

Comment

I have a lot of drivers in my family, i have considered it as well for my second career...from what my relatives say it is difficult to get local delivery gigs such as the the one you describe without some seat time under the belt. I have heard bad things about swift...a few in may family have run for PAM dedicated, and a few others...My cousin Jesse is working for the mines now, he is about 56...he is driving big dumps for a few years but has been driving since he was 22 or 23...good luck whatever you decide.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

My dad drove for Gilster Mary-Lee for over 10 years, Poole before that...said Swift was crap.
                      My ex-fiancee drove for Warner until last year....said Swift was crap.
                      An old soldier of mine re-enlisted after driving for Swift for two years.

Can't be wrong...

I've given thought to a CDL and doing long-haul myself. I'll switch if the aviation thing doesn't play out.
                      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak

I have CDL and drive everyday , but what I do and how I get paid has nothing to do with each other.

Don't really need the pass endorsement but figured if I take the course, I might as well get it while I'm at it. Normally it would be a 160 hour course otherwise. It would allow me to drive a tour buss, that's all.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                          no such thing as a good company.

At 54, jumping into a respect hardly given, you may not like it.

My dad is 58, been driving since 1973... and it is the only man I have ever seen have a real nervous breakdown over bad business. He is by no means weak in the brain...

He damn near gets handed keys to the greatest today, and drives wherever the hell he wants as an owner operator. (that has been over 25 years now)

Your age does not mean much if older drivers who have been around for awhile have something to say...if you claim shortage of drivers, well, there is some experience sittng around having a hard time with finances too...rank aint like a mapped out miltary plan.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

$4500 and 200 hours? That sounds like a lot of both. I've never looked into the schools, is that what they all cost? When I learned to drive we were going down the road and they said "it's your turn" so I got behind the wheel and started driving.

A local gig would be ok, but driving a truck isn't for everybody. I'd hate to see you spend that kind of money to find out you really hate it. Those day cabs aren't the most comfortable things. You can't really get comfortable, even in the over the road trucks. It's kinda like sitting at you're kitchen table for 10 hours a day.

If you're going to try it I think I would try Swift. It may not be a good company, I don't know, but if they pay you and teach you I think that's a lot better then paying $4500. It doesn't matter how you got your licence once you have it.
                            Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
                              Originally posted by RealSteelFreak

Don't really need the pass endorsement but figured if I take the course, I might as well get it while I'm at it. Normally it would be a 160 hour course otherwise. It would allow me to drive a tour buss, that's all.
                              You need forty hours of extra class to take a written test. That's all the endorsements are, written tests. I took all of them. I read the manual and took the test.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X