Swing Wide it's a Freaking
    Swing Wide it's a Freaking trailer.

By Christina Claxton (not verified) at 2006-04-21 11:51

What does SWIFT stand for?
    Swing wide it's a f***ing trailor.

By Recap (not verified) at 2006-04-18 23:26

Comment

Re: Thinking of getting a CDL-A with pass endorcement

Driving a truck for a living is not for me....but I've done plenty. The actual driving part isn't so bad, it's the other stuff that goes with it.
      Originally posted by TC
      also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

screw truck driving.Go to school to work on them.

Comment

In 1994 I went to a truck driving school and got my CDL, spent $3,200. I had 5 companies offering me jobs, I chose SWIFT, MISTAKE!! The day before my 6 week training period was up my trainer threw me and my stuff out of his truck at a rest stop north of Sacramento. I had to get a ride with another SWIFT driver to the Stockton terminal so I could get my car and go home after living in that truck for 6 weeks straight. I've had some great truck driving jobs over the years and I've had some that totally sucked. I've given up truck driving, I'm driving a shuttle bus for now (had to get a passenger endorse also) but this will be temporary as well. What I've noticed about the truck driving industry nowdays is they will run you as long and hard as legally possible. My last job in Ridgecrest involved getting up at 2 AM and running 450 miles a day and I was lucky if I got it all done in 14 hours, and that was 5 days a week!

Truck driving is not a job, it's a lifestyle, and it takes it's toll after a while.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I don't see why you need to spend all that time and money just to learn to drive a truck. If you already can drive a small truck and back a trailer with the mirrors, your almost ready. Just get a copy of the CDL manual, read it a few times, then go to the written test facility. Sit down in the lobby with the book, read the whole thing agin, then walk in and take the test. You will pass, it's all in your short term memory.
            Then sign up with one of those CDL class A truck rental for the test companies. That'll cost a couple hundred. THey'll meet you near the driving test facility a couple hours before your appointment. You practice driving their truck for a while, then go in and take the test with it.
            THen you have your class A CDL, so you can start picking up some work. Since you are already a sparky, maybe you can find an electrical contractor who needs a sparky who can drive thier equipment, like boom truck or something. Start building experience and get paid for it. I am in the roofing business, and when I find a good roofer who can drive class A as well as roof, there versatility makes them more valuable to me.

Good luck!

Comment

I see drivers at both my job's.
              it's not a 8 hour gig.
              if your stops take more hours than your legally allowed on the road you can't just being the truck back and finish tomorrow..
              good luck, but if you think being a sparky is a kids job. wait till your driving,
              trucking companies are folding left and right, people not getting payed,
              it'll be a good year or more(driving) before you'll get a good gig and there are guys with more time with clean driving record that get that job first..
              good luck, if your married it might be hard on it.. as sparky you said 14 on ,14 off, driving it's newbee always on.. 24/7

Comment

to give you an idea.
                my neib. (2 houses down) been driving 15 years, is called in at all hours and no "set" hours (9-5ect)
                yes he makes good money, but the odd hours and never know'n if your gonna be working, kills plans

Comment

Seems like he already knows where he wants to work and it's not Swift. The biggest thing I see is the price and time at the school. I can't believe there aren't cheaper and faster ways to get a CDL. I think a little investigation will turn up other ways
                  Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by std
                    Seems like he already knows where he wants to work and it's not Swift. The biggest thing I see is the price and time at the school. I can't believe there aren't cheaper and faster ways to get a CDL. I think a little investigation will turn up other ways
                    don't know man, swift may suck, but a job is a job, at the moment..

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      I've heard a few guys tell pretty bad stories about Swift. It may be BS, but I haven't heard rave reviews.
                      I worked for a company that used swift trucking... we used to joke that the Swift drivers weren't....
                      That said, if you want a CDL with passenger get a job working as a bus driver for the local school districts - they will train you (at oh what a cost :D)
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                        Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                        I've heard a few guys tell pretty bad stories about Swift. It may be BS, but I haven't heard rave reviews.
                        I worked for a company that used swift trucking... we used to joke that the Swift drivers weren't....
                        That said, if you want a CDL with passenger get a job working as a bus driver for the local school districts - they will train you (at oh what a cost :D)

The school bus requires a "B" license for straight trucks with pass end.

Thanks to all who responded. Some of what I already thought. Not really looking to be an over the road driver, more local. Just thinking perhaps having an "A" license would be an asset for local jobs since big trucks seem to be rquired for just about everything out there...or here
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Tom, certainly not a bad thing to have in your back pocket. I have mine and it is a bit of a security blanket. If the stuff ever hits the fan I could use that to get work. There are truck driving jobs everywhere.

Keep it between the ditches!

Brian
                          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                          X