• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Powder Coating questions

that was my first car!!! lucky kid
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

do you want/need some rag vellum to trace the chief and side stripe with to either have decals made or to paint them on later..
      p.m. me if you'd like some we have some open packs and it's great for trace'n stuff

Comment

We do a LOT of powdercoating at work. We have done everything from 35' foul poles for a local softball field to 240" wheelbase dragsters. From skateboard ramps to electronics cabinets, we have run the gamut of powdercoating. The key to a successful powdercoat, as is the key for a successful wet paint finish, is all in the preparation. The patina on that old pedal car will have to be removed to bare metal. I suggest media blasting to remove all the rust and scale. If you don't take the time to prep the surface, the impurities will come back to bite you. Oxidation on steel surfaces is generally porous and as such will have microscopic air pockets in it. After laying down a killer coat of powder, upon entering the oven at 350-400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, these air pockets expand. As the air looks for an escape route as the pressure builds, it "gases out" and pops up through the powder finish, leaving craters and holes in the finish along with the surrounding oxidation particles. Get that puppy good and clean before you powdercoat it.

As far as painting over powder, there is no problem as long as you don't have a super glossy finish you are trying to paint over. After powdercoating, scuff the area you wish to apply paint with some 600 grit sandpaper so the paint has something to stick to and shoot away.

Good luck with your project!

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
        X