Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened

California Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here we go again

Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened in 8 California Counties; Hearing Scheduled for April 1

Legislation (S.B. 1549) has been introduced in the California State Senate by Senator Dean Florez ([email protected]) to repeal the state’s current emissions test exemption for pre-1976 vehicles registered by new owners in the San Joaquin Valley Unified Air Pollution Control District. The District includes eight counties in California’s Central Valley: San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Merced, Madera, Fresno, Kings, Tulare and the valley portion of Kern. Under the bill, after Jan. 1, 2009, new owners seeking to register a pre-1976 vehicle in these eight counties would be subject to emissions tests for the life of the vehicle. S.B. 1549 is scheduled to be considered by the California Senate Transportation and Housing Committee on April 1, 2008.

We Urge You to Call, E-Mail or Fax Senator Florez and Members of the Senate Transportation Committee (List Attached) Immediately to Oppose S.B. 1549

Existing law in California exempts all pre-1976 vehicles from emissions testing.

California’s current emissions testing exemption recognizes the minimal impact of pre-1976 motor vehicles on emissions and air quality.

Pre-1976 vehicles constitute a small and shrinking portion of the overall vehicle population in California and are a poor source from which to look for further emissions reductions.

Pre-1976 antique and classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained.

Repeal of the exemption in the San Joaquin Valley could lead the Legislature to target other areas in the state in the future.

Legislators and regulators are again feeling the heat from a failed effort to meet air quality goals and are looking for a convenient scapegoat. The old car hobby should not carry the burden of their mistakes, as it has in previous amendments to the old car exemption!
    Please phone, fax or e-mail Senator Florez to express your opposition to S.B. 1549. Senator Florez can be reached at:

E-Mail: [email protected]
    Phone: (916) 651-4016
    Fax: (916) 327-5989

Please phone, fax or e-mail members of the Senate Transportation and Housing Committee to express your opposition to S.B. 1549

California Senate Transportation & Housing Committee

(Click here to email all Committee members)

Senator Alan Lowenthal – Chair
    Phone: 916/651-4027
    Fax: 916/327-9113
    Email: [email protected]

Senator Tom McClintock
    Phone: 916/651-4019
    Fax: 916/324-7544

Senator Roy Ashburn
    Phone: 916/651-4018
    Fax: 916/322-3304

Senator Gilbert Cedillo
    Phone: 916/651-4022
    Fax: 916/327-8817

Senator Ellen Corbett
    Phone: 916/651-4010
    Fax: 916/327-2433

Senator Bob Dutton
    Phone: 916/651-4031
    Fax: 916/327-2272

Senator Tom Harman
    Phone: 916/651-4035
    Fax: 916/445-9263

Senator Christine Kehoe
    Phone: 916/651-4039
    Fax: 916/327-2188

Senator Jenny Oropeza
    Phone: 916/651-4028
    Fax: 916/323-6056

Senator Joe Simitian
    Phone: 916/651-4011
    Fax: 916/323-4529

Senator Tom Torlakson
    Phone: 916/651-4007
    Fax: 916/445-2527

Senator Leland Yee
    Phone: 916/651-4008
    Fax: 916/327-2186

Please e-mail a copy of your letters to Steve McDonald at [email protected]

Re: California Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened

Not again. Thanks for the update.

Comment

its this kind of stuff that pushes people out of the hobby.

Comment

WOW! We don't even have vehicle inspections. I'm thinking CarJunkies Cars burn cleaner, we take care of them better, and tune them all the time. We have better tires, Of course we use more water cleaning them but, whatever. SOunds like the need for a Protest and drive down to the Capitol and park outside with about 2 million Street Rods to remind them where all thier Tax money comes From.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordplay0621
          SOunds like the need for a Protest and drive down to the Capitol and park outside with about 2 million Street Rods to remind them where all thier Tax money comes From.
          sound like it would be fun

Comment

That's why i live in Oregon ;D now if it would just stop raining maybe i could get some traction....

Comment

old cars are probably less then one percent of the cars on the road

Comment

I'm a "Clean Air" kind of guy, and I agree with you. On an air quality basis, this proposal just doesn't wash. Best of luck and I hope y'all win this fight. J.R.'s suggestion at least sound like fun, and might be effective.

Dan

Comment

*Bump*.

This needs to stay on the front page. Heinous People's Republik of Kalifornia legislation eventually rolls down hill to us little people.
                  Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Chuck.
                    I just got through writing my letter. Anyone who has lived in the Central Valley knows the real problem ...F'in tomato trucks! They are everywhere, spewing tomato juice over everything in sight, poorly maintained piles of trucks! Please help try to stop this misguided attempt at our hobby!

Comment

I don't suppose all the coal burning power plants in the valley have anything to do with it. Weren't they the ones that instituted the 'crushing cars for credits' program in the 90's? Who here really believes that the less than 0.1% of pre-76 cars that are on the road everyday are causing the sky over Modesto to be brown? Only a moron would believe that.

Carplay is right. There are far more shit box diesel spewing semi's and farm trucks running around that area of the state than any car on a given day.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Fight the bastards,dont let them get away with there BS. Fight em good!!

Comment

hey Dan, youre an epa type, how does a man get around this kind of bullshit? do i have my car registered as a horseless carriage, (ive got a plan, itll have attachments for draft horses, i can get a few of em when its time to have it dynoed.. dyno that, bitches!!) or do i buy say, a model A or something... does the EPA have emissions stats on cars built before the war? im not normally the hot rod type, but wtf, sometimes a mans got to do what a mans got to do..

Comment

yea that sucks. i live in fla and we dont have emissions any more. like was said, its all b.s. just so the govt can digg deaper into our pockets. >

Comment

good luck, and remember to support sema!
                              Reading , Pa
                              Good Guys rodders rep.
                              "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                              Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                              X