Clear All

Re: California Old Car Emissions Exemption Threatened

hope they stay away from Texas - - - lobbying B_ _ _ _ rds >

Comment

Join.

Comment

Here's the deal. EPA does NOT put forth this type of legislation - this is a state initiative. Initially, EPA did require that certain areas improve air quality to a certain level, and the Agency gave methods for measurements. They MIGHT sometimes suggest technologies, but ultimately, it was up to the states to figure out how to reach attainment.

Now it gets weird. California, specifically the CARB, always insists that it is MUCH smarter that the Feds, or anyone else (outside scientists and the like) and they go off on their own to reach and exceed air quality goals. So they're constantly coming up with, in my opinion, hair-brained schemes like this one.

So your bottom line is that you have to fight this at the state level. Believe me, there is no love lost between the CARB and the US EPA, but really CARB and the state of California can do any damn thing they want to as long as air quality needs are either met or progress is happening to meet those needs.

As far as what kind of car gets you past this silliness - that, too, is state-based.

So get active and support SEMA - it's the best you can do, and may even be effective. Don't waste your time on CARB - they aren't likely to listen. Your legislators are your best bet - they live and die on your votes, so you have a lever there. Pry away!

Dan

Originally posted by hamrmech
        hey Dan, youre an epa type, how does a man get around this kind of bullshit? do i have my car registered as a horseless carriage, (ive got a plan, itll have attachments for draft horses, i can get a few of em when its time to have it dynoed.. dyno that, bitches!!) or do i buy say, a model A or something... does the EPA have emissions stats on cars built before the war? im not normally the hot rod type, but wtf, sometimes a mans got to do what a mans got to do..

Comment

New info.

Looks like everything changed the smog law bill might changed to a classic licence plate bill. Maybe your letters worked.

Comment

The only probem is if you have historic plates on a car you legally can't drive down to the local malt shop in it unless there is a car activity there. If a cop wants to get picky he can site you. Also, if you have historic plates on a truck, it can only be used to display the vehicle. The minute you carry a bag of groceries in the back you're hauling cargo. Under section 9400(d) "This section is not applicable to any vehicle that is operated or moved over the highway exclusively for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar noncommercial purpose." Weight fees are not collected on historic plates, so the minute you carry anything in it you are in violation.

Comment

coal is good cheap energy
              coal is not the problem , old cars are so few and far between
              like taxes , this is all about power and control

Comment

One of very few reasons I am glad to live in Michigan. California laws are out of control. Lets all hope that this goes away if we all voice our concerns.
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                X