Started working at a new shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started working at a new shop

Left my old job when the owner was having problems at home and decided to stop putting money in his cars. That gave me most of the summer off, and I went to many shows, cruises and salvage yards, meeting many interesting people and finding many cars and bikes. But, all good things come to an end and I had to find a job, but it found me.

While admiring the paint on a car the owner asked me what I did for a living and it turned out he owns a shop that does restoration and custom body work. Well to make a long story short, I started working there last month and to say I've been busy wouldn't even begin to cover it.

The mainstay of the shop is British cars, but we're all into American cars and have our own projects at the shop. Here's a few pics.

This one I'm not too excited about. Looks like a very heavy machine to work with

Re: Started working at a new shop

tiger.... coolness....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Boy Andy, that job and you seem like a match made in heaven.

GREAT to see that your skills are appreciated and that you've landed another bitchin' gig.

Congrats and keep us posted.

(What are the chances you and me could work an inside job for that Sunbeam Tiger....I won't tell anyone)

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

This Newport is dropped and has a Watson inspired paint job that made even Gene Winfield take notice at the Syracuse Nats. This is the shop owner's ride.

This is the shop truck project, a '56 Chevy that was a town highway truck from NH. It is getting a full on custom treatment. So far the frame is Zee'd front and rear, and the bed has been shortened. Power will be a 348 with a bunch of Strombergs that I will be building.

This '50 Ford belongs to the painter. He is going to spray it a candy gold when the body is done. So far it's sitting on airbags, and a couple of weekends ago we channeled the body over the frame and made floors and body supports. It's going to be chopped 5" in front, 7" in the rear.

No pics yet, but I picked up a '54 BelAir hardtop to do my own custom. I'll make a project thread for that eventually

Comment

'54 belair's and 49' fords are two of my favorite cars, cant wait to see them both done!

Comment

that ford is the poo.... i have been kinda trying to buy 1 for about 3 months.

would want it to sit the same, but keep the roof tall.....

I bet motivation to go to work isnt an issue..
            Charles

Comment

Andy ,whats up ! Good talking to you up in LG . Another great weekend up there as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte
                Andy ,whats up ! Good talking to you up in LG . Another great weekend up there as usual.
                Hey Anthony! Great talking with you. Yeah, huge turnout this year. I didn't take the Falcon over on Saturday, that traffic is a pain in the ass with a 4 speed. Thursday night is the most fun anyway.

Comment

Awesome news Andy. Looks like some more interesting projects! Congrats.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey
                    that ford is the poo.... i have been kinda trying to buy 1 for about 3 months.

would want it to sit the same, but keep the roof tall.....

I bet motivation to go to work isnt an issue..
                    Right, can't wait to get there, and most days we work 10 hrs because time flies by so fast. Boss is cool, has us come to work early and get stuff done so he can take us to little salvage yards in the area or to check out potential projects. He's going to Portsmouth NH tomorrow, to look at 4 cars (Porsche 356, old Mercedes, an Austin Healey and something else) but I'm not going. 6 hrs of driving after work, no thanks. Three of us worked 12 hrs on Thursday and 14 on Friday to get a couple of cars done for a show. We then immediately loaded up the two cars we were working on and drove 2hrs to get to a show. Got there at 130am, back up at 630am. Gone the whole weekend, back home on Sunday night at 930pm. Can't get enough, lol

Comment

Is the shop near home? Don't forget the rest of your life!

Still, way cool that you found something fun to do and get paid for it.

Those of you who haven't met Andy - he's a great guy and willing to go out of his way to lend a hand. Cool that you landed on your feet.

Dan

Comment

Andy - you Rock!

I look forward to seeing more of this.

I hope you don't get burned out, I hope the working conditions and attitudes stay good, and that you continue to enjoy your work for many years.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Andy, congrats on the new gig, seems your talents will be put to good use....

I would be doing everyone an injustice if I did not mention we all want an update on the 10 Day Torino too

And give your boss a big guy hug from me, his massive C-body custom is bad ass...it takes a special kind of crazy to buld a C-body...
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

You suck. lol but I mean that in a good way lol But congrats on a job you really dig and they treat you right.
                            I dig the shop truck
                            the 49 is kool and will be even kooler and I love 53/54 chevys first car I built sold to buy my house.
                            I have a line on an Austin Healy that was set up for a Small block chevy in the mid/late 60's still working the deal on that one I always thought they were neat looking

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                              Those of you who haven't met Andy - he's a great guy and willing to go out of his way to lend a hand.
                              Andy is the real deal (at 2009 Musclepalooza along with my son)
                              a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Working...
                              X