Thoughts on some health anniversaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on some health anniversaries

Last week marked the 20 years since I had two major surgeries six weeks apart to remove my entire colon to get rid of my ulcerative colitis. Last month was five years since I was diagnosed with Crohn's. (Proof God has a twisted sense of humor.) Next month I'll be 43, the same age my Dad was when he had a quadruple bypass surgery.

I'm not lamenting, or looking for any kind of sympathy. It's just I'm middle aged now and even with these health issues, I haven't felt better since I was a teenager. I guess this is the age us guys start thinking about where we are in life and wonder if we are living up to our dreams and expectations. I'm not satisfied at where I'm at now, but I feel much better now, and I have a better view of my current situation which I haven't had in a long time.

Even though all the men on Dad's side of the family had heart issues; I'm not worried about mine. Dad's emotional stress always went right to his ticker. Not a good thing. Not that my emotional stress heads straight for my gut is any better, but I won't drop dead from a flare up of Crohn's.

As my birthday gets closer, I keep thinking about some projects I've started but never finished; two major writing projects, a movie script and a science fiction novel. I'm thinking that I should get going on these again and at least get the first draft on one before the end of the year.

I also want out of my current nowhere career. I've had enough of driving. It was cool and I enjoy all the people I get to meet, but there is no where to go in this industry. I didn't move to LA to be a driver. In actuality, I moved here to get into the movie industry. Yes, I was an actor. I do miss it. I miss the creative process. But, in the last few years, I've had the desire to write in the automotive industry. I have to admit I'm torn between the two paths.

I guess I'm wanting to know that I'm not alone in these feelings. I hate to label this as just a mid life crisis cause I don't feel like my life is in crisis, just a point of change. I do feel that I need a swift kick in the ass to get moving in one direction or the other.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Thoughts on some health anniversaries

I'll be 47 in January and I'm starting to understand the mid-life thing myself. I'm sick of driving also, but after 16 years changing careers is kind of scary. The car isn't any closer to being done than when I bought it 11 years ago, and I beat myself up about it on a regular basis. I've even tried selling it and people only wanted parts off of it. Luckily I haven't had any health issues so far and hopefully won't. My wife is truly my best friend and we have a great marriage and she supports all of my hair brained ideas and hobbies. My dad is 73 and in great shape, hopefully I'll take after him. Taking stock of your life isn't a bad thing to do periodically, it makes you realize whats important and whats not.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I'm in the middle of a couple of health issues with our folks... and its' a pain...

As for anniversaries I'm coming up on my 3rd year of not smoking ... I'm VERY proud of that... it's one of the most interesting things I've ever done..... mostly cause I never " tried" to quit..... I just quit... thought about it... talked to a few freinds.. made a commitment and did it... that simple...

Life is Good.... saving it for later is stupid...

K

Comment

Always thought you were younger than that, like, mid 30s

Good luck with the writing, You have a gift for it as we can all tell you from your captions on the pictures you take
        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

You are a good communicator and should make a good writer in turn Reb. Stay positive and keep on plugging away, things will change for the better.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Dude ... follow your heart and live for today. I'm glad your health is good and we've become friends in a way, hopefully we can meet in person some day.

I faced my mid-life crisis-es head on, dealt with them and I'm looking forward to the next ...
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

How to make a long story short? I worked in construction until I was 31, mostly because it was easy to get into - my dad has a company that does that. However, at 30 I almost fell off a roof, yet broke my ankle... thought that was bad, nope, but that got me moving (figuratively) towards college while I was laid up. Went to college, took me 2 years to finish my 7 year bachelor degree.... the quarter before I finished, I was diagnosed with colon cancer - was 34 at the time. I thought that was pretty ironic since I had stopped drinking 2 years before, got my life back together and got through college... It really seemed like I was being punished... lots of surgeries, unable to work for 5 months... during that time, I sent my applications to law school.... the miracle - I was accepted to a top-tier school and was able to pay for the education....
              I think I can get a vision of what you're talking about when you wonder why this stuff is happening, I do believe we are challenged to get off our duff and do the thing for which we were designed - kind of a "okay, you've now overcome it's time to shine."
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I just had my 40th birthday... sometimes I think to myself - how did this happen? How did I get here?

Scott - you're a good writer and a good photographer - finish that 454, make the gold yacht a comfy cruiser - and get back to writing. You're good at social networking - you know a lot of folks in the magazine biz - just keep submitting things....

I'm glad I found this site and the folks here - this is a great place.
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback

Good luck with the writing, You have a gift for it as we can all tell you from your captions on the pictures you take
                  health reels in a few years backwards.. mixing it with now is a challenge.. umixable is called ptsd.
                  military results is similar to a survivor of something unlikely.

I concetrated on cars into my mid 30s...close to a teenagers motivation.
                  I am not sure how I climbed out of a death imminent either.
                  Moving forward means getting put in your place.. as middle aged approaches , what you wanted to do is even more difficult. Strolling with the punches at mid 30s and later is all the more difficult. Do what makes you happy, even if it aint worth a nickel to anyone. its your life.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                    Originally posted by Eagle Kammback

health reels in a few years backwards.. mixing it with now is a challenge.. umixable is called ptsd.
                    military results is similar to a survivor of something unlikely.

I concetrated on cars into my mid 30s...close to a teenagers motivation.
                    I am not sure how I climbed out of a death imminent either.
                    Moving forward means getting put in your place.. as middle aged approaches , what you wanted to do is even more difficult. Strolling with the punches at mid 30s and later is all the more difficult. Do what makes you happy, even if it aint worth a nickel to anyone. its your life.
                    Other than the PTSD I was a tad lost - but - your posts are - shall we say - an adventure at times?
                    Strolling with the punches - a classic yogism to say the least. Cheers bro - no offense meant.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

I've been blessed with great health.. other that the flu alot (can't take antibiotics)
                      and knock on wood, it stays that way. but I'm gonna have to start to work on it.. the middle age thing is adding lb's
                      cars get older and use more gas..
                      we get older and can run on less... who's twisted Idea was that.. ;D

sorry reb. one of my good friends has crohns, it's no fun.
                      you need to move. the cold weather does wonders for your joints..
                      who needs a weather man.. I got my knees and hands to tell me the weather

Comment

Scott -
                        My adventures in health are well documented. Still, I can pretty much do what I want to do - and so, seemingly, can you.

I understand the frustration with being in a job that doesn't seem to be leading anywhere. Had a number of those along the way before landing at the EPA. Let me remind you of the best piece of advise I ever gave - your job is not your life. It's what you do to FINANCE your life. I say, drive as long as you need to and write when you can. With skill and luck you'll sort of fade away from the limo thing and into the writing thing. Zen, my son (I AM old enough to be your Dad!).

Best of luck
                        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          I guess I'm wanting to know that I'm not alone in these feelings. I hate to label this as just a mid life crisis cause I don't feel like my life is in crisis, just a point of change. I do feel that I need a swift kick in the ass to get moving in one direction or the other.
                          No you're not alone. I have been doing some soul searching recently as well. Reflecting back on things and considering which path to choose in the future. I find myself lamenting on some poor decisions I made in the last 16 years. I reversed the negative impact those decisions had on my life on more than a few occasions only to fall back into the same pattern of behavior. Currently I am struggling with a few life altering decisions that I feel I need to make and just don't know what to do. I keep putting it off, saying I will get to it later and soon enough I am going to run out of time...I need a swift kick in the ass too because I just cant seem to muster enough desire to do what needs done.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I hit 50 this month. As my dad said "you may not be on the downhill run, but there sure isn't anything blocking your view." Ha, he has always been able to turn a phrase.

This is the first birthday that brought thoughts of my own mortality. I have to say that I'm in a bigger hurry to do things than ever. Life is all about how we spend our time, that's what we spend every day. All we are selling our employers, or giving our family is our time. How we choose to spend it should be very important.

I've made a couple of career changes. Both times my approach was deliberate. I made inquiries about what skills were required in the new career, what the compensation was and went through a process of making my "nut" smaller so that I could transition to a compensation level that was commensurate with my "newbie" skill level. Opportunity has more to do with preparation than happenstance.

I also enjoy writing, but I have no photography skills. Plus, I'm approaching 50, wait a minute, I am 50 so fewer employers are willing to take on a newbie old guy. Get on with what you want to do now, take the steps to position yourself to acquire an "opportunity." Everyday we can reinvent ourselves, every moment. Like Turk's anecdote. Once you commit to something, things can change.

Comment

Reb, I may be a little biased, but finish that sci-fi book! I need to find a new author to follow. I'm an avid sci-fi reader, fantasy also, (go ahead and laugh those that want. :D) I read, on the average, two books a week so I run out of new stuff pretty quick.

I started construction work, mainly roofing, when I was 14, I did it until I was thirty and even then part time occasionally. I went into a different field of work at thirty and now at 50, I'm still doing it, although at the fourth job. I turned 50 last March and since that day I've been doing a lot of soul searching. My family is known for early deaths, my dad at 53, his five brothers all between 47 and 55, two cousins younger than 50 and one at 31. All but one of these was caused by some type of heart failure. It kind of makes me take stock in where my life is now. I'm in great shape for my age and other than a little stress induced stomach trouble and a little arthritis, no problems. I don't even get sick from the flu or colds and virus's. I'm not overweight, actually underweight a little at 145 and 5'11" tall.
                              Hopefully I can break the cycle and live to be a ripe old age of 98 like my mom's grandpa did, BUT her dad passed at 72 from prostate cancer and mom went at 58 with lung cancer while her sisters passed around 60 yrs. with cancers also.

Comment

Working...
                              X