Advice to a young hot rodder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice to a young hot rodder

hey man, sounds like you got a a cool dad...my old man was into cars and rods growing up so he cut me some slack but helped keep me grounded until I got a bit older and did this to a $1200 f150:

I showed up after I got the paint work done {shot out in the back of a warehouse} and put the truck back together, and all he could say is "couldn't you have just painted it red again and left the top on it???" LOL
    I say maybe the truck, that way you can build a ranger or S10, then you have a quickie parts hauler and a potential tow rig so down the line when you maybe get a car you have some way to haul your stuff.
    I drove that truck 54 hours on a road trip for a rolling body shell, was a blast.

Take some time, scope stuff out, and ask around. Some times you stumble across a ride and things go from there. I guess also just remember to have some fun and take pride in what you build.
    Have a good one!
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Well i still havent made a decision yet (i was in kentucky for the last 8 days) but my explorer may be and exploder (literally) very soon so i may need to buy realitively soon. Of course this would mean that i would get something that runs somewhat well.... i.e. f-body/stang.

just giving the update to you all (if you care)

Comment

We do, bro. We do.

Comment

yep ,keep us posted.

Comment

The most important thing in LIFE is to have FUN, and enjoy time with friends, couldn't think of a Better one to have than your Dad.

Comment

I say go for it Bill. You can never get back lost time,if its building a truck by yourself,or with your dad.Hopfully he will enjoy it as much as you do.

And it may suprise you to find out that the old man knows a thing or two!!!!
              Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Yup, and if not, I'm not far away. ;D

Comment

If you are looking at F-Bodies for cheap then I suggest an LT-1 (93-97) with a 6-Speed. I had one that I miss every day. Great car and they can be had for relatively cheap these days. If you have a bit more then you should definitely get an LS-1 car. Easier to make fast ;D

Good Luck.
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Easier to drop a 6.0l into.

Comment

I found a very cheap 93 dodge dakota a couple weeks ago on craigslist. it had a solid 318 but needed a fuel pump. he was asking 500 for it and i talked him down to 300. he emailed me saturday that he would accept 300 for it, i just wouldnt get the cover for the bed. So i called him today, and someone had already put the deposite down on it. it kinda stinks because i really wanted a mopar and it had a decent engine in it. oh well.... just a little too late. time to keep looking

Comment

I vote for the V8 pickup for a couple of reasons. Most important is the time spent with your father on the project. 5.0's and F bodies are so common, do something different. What's nice about the pickup is that you can haul stuff in it as well. It's tough having just car and having to pick up something bulky such as a motor, trans or engine lift.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Go with a V-8 mini truck swap. I'm up in Bay City, but if you end up doing a S-10 SBC let me know. We've got some header for the swap, and some other stuff we'd get rid of pretty cheap. Our S-10 has gone through many transitions, it's a blast, and you don't feel bad cutting it up to make things fit!

Comment

I'm glad this topic came up. My son will be 16 in October. I just bought him his first car already. Only because the car pretty much fell in my lap. Now don't laugh OK. It's a 1965 Corvair Corsa 140 convertible. It's not a fixer upper. It is a very nice solid southern rust free car. Has the 4 carb. 140 horsepower engine, close ratio 4 speed, with quick shift package. Full instrumentation dash with the 140 speedo. am/fm 8-track, (yes I said 8-track tape player). Quick steering package, with F-41 HD suspension, power top, white, white top and blue interior. Gets around 26 to 29 MPG. The convertible fun factor is a plus. I think it will look good in the high school parking lot next to the Toyota's, Honda's and Suburu's.. ;D

Comment

Hey, who could laugh at a corvair? I just saw a super clean example at Maxton this weekend. First onw I had seen in a long time. My uncle actually owned 1 of each model made at one point in his life. Not the best engineered car, but still very cool. A hell of a lot cooler than a honda.
                              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

All good replies above.

When I was 15 (34 short years ago) and just getting ready to venture into building my first rod, I received the best advice any young gun could ever get from an old hotrodder who'd been around the horn several times:

"Before you ever think of making a car go faster, first invest your money in making it slow down. Invest in quality brakes, son."

That bit of advice rings true today as it did 34 years ago. Good luck.
                                Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

Working...
                                X