Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice to a young hot rodder

On the Dakota front....

Find one of the "newer" body style (the one that looks like a mini-ram) with the 318 and 5-speed manual trans.

I went for a bonsai run around greater LA in one of those trucks 4-5 years ago with a friend who was at Peterson's 4-Wheel and Off Road (he's now the editor of Diesel Power) and the thing was sweet.

That truck with a steeper rear gear and dropped 2-3 inches with the right wheels and tires would be an awesome sleeper. The thing was every bit as willing to run as one of the R/T 360 trucks.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
      Ok here's the situation:

Im going to be graduating high school in May. I have made a deal with my parents that i would not buy a car until i have graduated. My dad told me today that if i find a car i like that doesnt run and is cheap (like 100-200 bucks) he would let me get it NOW and HE would buy it for me. Well i initially thought of the whole ranger/s-10/sonoma V8 conversion thing and now i kinda want to build one of these. However, if i wait 3-4 months i can buy a f-body/mustang for cheap and modify from there. But i would have to wait. Either way the goal is to make a reasonably fast vehicle on the cheap. I drive an explorer right now (not allowed to hack it up...its not technically mine).

I know i have made similar threads before (ideal first muscle car), but this is a different situation. Should i wait and get an 80s muscle car or get a little truck now and do the V8 swap?

At this point i pretty much have all the tools i need to do the swap and have a decent amount of mechanical experience in my school's auto shop (and im state certified in 3 areas).

The V8 Ranger or S-10 is a sweet ride, you have a frame, a bed to carve up, its not precious or priceless and will never be. Just get a short bed, tub it, put a 4 link in and a stroker small block

One thing about an S-10 is if you stumble onto a '35-'40 Ford body it practically bolts itself on. There's a guy up the road with a '39 on an S-10 frame with a Rat motor in it. Sweet!

Comment

Woody-

whatever you get, if your dads involved helping you, its going to be great. My dad and me are so much closer now, since we have soemthing in common with the chevelle. Its a different kind of bond you dont get jsut talking or anything. enjoy it, man.
        Local person
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BillBallinger Sr
          The V8 Ranger or S-10 is a sweet ride, you have a frame, a bed to carve up, its not precious or priceless and will never be.
          Just to poke a little fun, I remember people saying that about old VW's - - a lot.

Hehehe - peace.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
            Originally posted by BillBallinger Sr
            The V8 Ranger or S-10 is a sweet ride, you have a frame, a bed to carve up, its not precious or priceless and will never be.
            Just to poke a little fun, I remember people saying that about old VW's - - a lot.

Hehehe - peace.

I've cut up a few of those too for mini-stocks :-)

It takes a special man to restore a car, but it takes a real man with a sawzall to tub it and make a hot rod out of it :-)

Comment

Working...
            X