NASCAR Fines Bowyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NASCAR Fines Bowyer

It's not surprising that the first three races of NASCAR's Chase for the Sprint Cup championship have earned low television ratings.

ESPN's coverage of the Chase opener at New Hampshire dropped 28 percent from last year -- from 3.2 to 2.3. The rating for the second race, at Dover, fell 23 percent from 3.1 to 2.4.

Last Sunday's race at Kansas on ABC was also down. It earned a rating of 2.7, averaging 3,741,683 viewers, according to the Nielsen Company.

The funny thing is that NASCAR and its TV partners remain oblivious as to why people aren't tuning in.

In fact, one official at ESPN said she believes ratings are down this season due to the 1 p.m. starting times that put the sport up against the NFL. So exactly when on an autumn Sunday is NASCAR not going to be going up against football?

The facts are there are far too many commercial breaks in today's coverage of NASCAR races, and people are tired of tuning in and seeing some buffoon from the Waltrip or Wallace family telling them just how great NASCAR and its Chase is.

The majority of race fans either see right through the Chase and its prefabricated recipe for manufactured excitement or are just tired of seeing Jimmie Johnson win the darn thing year after year after year after year.

Today's drivers also seem out of touch as to why people aren't tuning in.

"I don't really make it part of my day to look at TV ratings," Jeff Burton said. "I do think it's important, but I think some of it is confusing to me. I really believe the racing has been better."

Race fans could also be turned off because Clint Bowyer won the opening race of the Chase at New Hampshire, then was fined $150,000 and had 150 points stripped from his team after his car was found to be 1/64,000ths of an inch out of tolerance during an inspection that

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      or are just tired of seeing Jimmie Johnson win the darn thing year after year after year after year.
      That's it for me. The guy is "ok" during the regular season then all of sudden he's superman as soon as the chase starts. Get rid of the damn chase.
      I R Bob
      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

cagey guy on the toolbox
        gordon should get don juan evernham to cheat his car up again

Comment

Working...
        X