Strangest Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strangest Engine

Since so many of you have ties to things other than automotive related stuff. Please send in any pics or experience with the strangest engine you ever saw. Whether it was in a car/truck/boat/UFO whatever! I want to see it. My last post I asked about "Continental" engines. When I was a kid I saw a very small 4 cylinder flat head engine that literally could sit on your living room coffee table! It powered a small 3-wheel fork lift made in the late 1930's and had no water pump. It was water cooled in what they called a "thermo-cycle" arrangement that used the natural heating/cooling process to pull the coolant through the radiator and block. It did have a fan to draw air into the radiator but no water pump. It could run all day in the hottest weather with out a problem. So come on guys, bring on the wierd and strange! If anyone's got it, it's the B.S. boys!

Re: Strangest Engine

Here are a few that I took at the Glenn Curtis Museum, first is a 1947 Ford model A-E X-8(like V-8) and a bunch of small table top size engines a local man built

What is your engine background/interest in rjf? I myself get gitty over old racing only, WWII aircraft and pre 70's big rig and tractor stuff. I have had the benefit of being raised around a whole mixed bag of nuts of commerical use type engines.

I would rather have an engine library of sorts in my house than a garage full of cars and trucks. And the contents of that room would be as follows-
    JFR Boss500 Nitro funny car mill
    Ford 427 SOHC
    Boss 9'
    H&H built Banger 4
    Zakspeed Turbo 4 IMSA mill
    1963 FoMoCo Indy V8
    Cosworth DFV
    Offy Indy 4
    early Miller Indy 4
    Novi Indy V8
    BRM V12
    Ardun headed SCoT blown Flattie
    AutoUnion Type C V16
    One each of an Allison,Merlin and Rolls V12
    Pratt&Whitney Corn Cob
    Wright R2200 radial
    One of the supercharged Buda diesels that ran on butane
    12v71TTA Detriot
    8v92T Silver92 D deck Detriot
    1930's Cummins Indy diesel
    STP Indy Turbine

And to be able to fire all of them up at the same time, Ooooooooooooooh what noise that would be.
    Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Re: Strangest Engine

this question always reminds me of the scotch yoke attempt at boxer engines.

not as crazy as a 5 main bearing japanese EJ engine, but crazy.

I'd like to say this to them:
      just build the benz crank retards, and get it over with.. your pathetic addon to engineering evolution is gonna crash like a shared rod pin...only harder.

:

here is slideshow:

here is article:

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
      X