Dan's Bacon is Saved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan's Bacon is Saved!

I need to send a HUGE shout-out to my new HEE-rows, Farenschell (Seth) and Russell.

After cleaning up at Maxton - in the rain - Seth and Russell agreed to help me load the Buzz Bomb. So we hooked the trailer back onto the Dakota, got out the ramps, etc. and I fired up the 'Bomb to drive it on. Little did I know I ACTUALLY FIRED it up. To shorten the story a bit, a brass B-nut (trade lingo for the nut on a compression fitting) on the outlet of the fuel pressure regulator had failed and sprayed fuel all over the engine. It was just dumb luck that it didn't fail during a run. Evidently, when I hit the starter something sparked and the whole deal went up in flames. We got the hood up and I did what I usually do - stood there sizing up the situation. Russell took a wiser course of action and removed his T-shirt and started beating out the flames. Seth followed immediately thereafter. The whole right side of the engine was on fire and it was a no BS fire, not a little poof. We eventually thought to get some water from my cooler and finish dousing whatever was on fire in the right wheel well. Remember, all the while it was raining cats & dogs.

Damage looks like:
    Plug wires, wiring to the starter & distributor, distributor cap (maybe), side cover gaskets - and who knows what else. It's raining here today so I haven't dug into it yet. I'll have to at least patch it together so I can get it started and off the trailer to make the final repairs.

A lesson for you young-uns - don't trust hardware store brass fittings. I'll make a list and head to our local Parker-Hannifin dealer for some decent bits - there's a reason that the good stuff costs more. I'm thinking this may be the time to switch to a fuel cell and replumb the whole deal in stainless (I ran LOTS of SS lines at the EPA). Second lesson - carry a fire extinguisher IN THE TOW VEHICLE. I have a lovely one - in the shop. Next purchase!

We then had to get a non-running HEAVY race car onto an open trailer. Russell hit on the idea of driving the trailer into a conveniently-placed hole there on the grounds. This put the trailer almost level to the paved driveway and the two of them pushed me on - worked like a champ. I suggest that all racing facilities install such a hole just for these situations. Anyhow, it was then just a matter of tying the 'Bomb down and calling it a day.

So -

BIGGEST THANKS TO THESE GUYS!!!!!! I'd still be there if not for you two.

Dan

And a HUGE thank you from me. I like having Dan home and more-or-less safe. I really appreciate your help.
    Mary Ellen

Re: Dan's Bacon is Saved!

U LUCKY..
    run a/n fittings and a small fire extinguisher in the car..
    one in the tow truck will not help you on a run

Comment

good deal on the belchfire buzzer

Comment

Good job russell and seth. Glad everyone is ok
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Wow, glad you got it put out, could have been a lot worse!

Compression fittings don't belong in fuel systems, I guess you know why now.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Russell actually got a burn on one arm but I don't think it's too bad.

On the fire extinguisher in the race car - not legal. The concern is that it can come loose in an accident and do more harm than good. During a run they'll roll Fire and Rescue in a heartbeat when needed - and they get there NOW. However, above 175 you have to have an onboard system with permanently mounted bottles (Firefox, etc.) and that's on the list as well.

Dan

Comment

illegal. did not know that..

Comment

Required on the push vehicle at Bonneville....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Dang Dan. Glad it was caught and put out before too much damage was done. Since the EFI conversion I keep at least one extinguisher in the Skylark at all time, and two on long trips when I remember to grab the one I keep in my carport.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

WoW! Heroics indeed! Cudos to all involved, and glad it all came out okay.

One thing to remember from a safety standpoint, it sounds like the ride had been parked a while (cooled off) when it all happened.

Something to think about, we had an employee on a shipping dock at one of our mills get burned so bad he died about a week later from it. From opening the hood on a lift truck that had been run hard and then it caught on fire from a fuel leak. They guys on the dock easily contained the fire with available extinguishers through the vents on the side of the hood and then the one guy opened the hood to see what damage was done.

A chance would have it, the fire had all but burned through one of the radiator hoses. After he opened the hood he was leaning all over the engine surveying the damage when one of the weakened hoses burst and covered him in scalding coolant.

Case in point, let the fire guys in full turnout gear open the hood on a hot vehicle after there's been a fire.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Glad everyone involved is ok .... mechanical beings can be fixed
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

compression fitting...
                        is that the same thing they give you when repairing brakes quick?

the tiny brass ring fit over a fresh cut line and hope it all works...after squashing it blindly.

:

Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Think water line on a toilet ....
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Good to hear that it wasn't a total loss and good going for everyone involved in getting the fire out.

I hate compression fittings on anything that has vibration. I've had to cut back the feed line on one of my compressors multiple times because the copper pipe keeps breaking at the compression fitting. >

Anyway glad everyone and everything is ok.

Comment

I love see'n those on brake lines

Comment

Working...
                              X